Quiting Smoking In/arg.

gpop

Registered
Several years ago I went to a pulmonologist and was encouraged to start on Champix (Chantix) treatment, before that I tried a patch and other nicotine replacement methods. I had serious doubts about this drug and was very hesitant after researching this product. The fact that this changes brain chemistry doesn't sit well with me; I even had my wife control the administration of this stuff to assure that my behaviour did not go south. I stopped smoking for about 5 months and the treatment was indeed effective (as long as I kept taking it).
It was killing my stomach though and I was getting more concerned that the nicotine addiction would turn to a Champex dependency instead. Long story short... I've been smoking ever since then, and even more than before.
I want to quit, i need to quit but have not found anything that I consider safe and effective outside of the US and Canada. Does anyone know of, or have kicked the habit in Argentina successfully?

I used the patch which helped a lot (although fair warning - it gives you CRAZY vivid dreams). I found though the most important thing was making lifestyle changes along with whatever route you go. If you smoke in certain situations (i.e., when out drinking or after dinner or whatever), you will probably need to avoid those situations for a while.

The physical addiction wasn't that hard to quit (and I was a fairly heavy smoker). The mental part was much harder. It's been 4 or 5 years and I still sometimes get cravings if I'm in certain situations/with certain people.

Electronic cigarette. Buy a decent one and start with a tobacco flavoured liquid with a high nicotine content (24mg). Gradually wean yourself off the nicotine by using liquids with lower nicotine level.

I gave up 2 years ago after a 30 year habit using this method. I now feel like I never smoked a cigarette in my life.

Gpop. I hear you. I was a smoker for 30 years. I thought I was condemned. I tried and tried and was never be able to stop. Then one day, I happened across this book on a sale table in Barnes & Noble.: Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/easy-way-to-stop-smoking-allen-carr/1100625699?ean=9781402771637

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

I read it, and I quit. A friend of mine in the same situation read it and quit. That was 16 years ago. We are both still “escaped” smokers... meaning that we are happily out of that prison and it never occurs to us to even think about picking up a smoke. It’s worth a try, and if you have a Kindle, easy to get. One thing that helped me was that I kept reading through all the hundreds of reviews, and they made me feel like I had a support group of all the other people who had also succeeded with the book. Good Luck.

I am in the U.S. now, but will be back in Buenos Aires in January. If you need me to bring you a book, it will be my gift to you.

I'd been smoking for about 12 years, on and off. Tried everything. Patches + chewing gums did help with the physical habit, as long as everything was ok. When major stress came, I just needed the real thing. Electronic never worked with me, not even when they were legal to use everywhere. Now that they're banned from most places where you can't smoke, I don't really see the point. They're ugly, expensive, a dehydrate you really badly.

Now, after cca 2 months in Argentina, I seem to be off. Time will show for how long. So far, it came pretty naturally, especially considering that one of the things I was looking forward to were the local cig prices. I blame it on all the hugs and kisses :rolleyes: I just kept postponing the next fag until I was positive I could smell like an ashtray. That moment usually came at some point late in the night, and after a few days like this, I actually forgot about that fag. I still have half of the first pack I bought when I came here. Time will show.

I used the patch at first and am now using Nicotinell pastillas (2 mg nicotine 'mints').

They are about 125 pesos for 36 but seem to be quite effective at the drugstore.

I have no desire to smoke an actual cigarette, however, I realize that I am still addicted to nicotine.

I'll give any of the old methods another go, although at this point- it seems like it's going to be a combination of many or all of the recommendations. Thanks for those who reached out...this is helpful.
My wife an I both have to concede to a plan of action and stick to it. That was part of why i started up again. It's too easy to get pulled back in when there are cig's around the house.
Looks like a bumpy ride up ahead. I'm at a point where i'm feeling so ill all of the time and angry about having started again (or ever for that matter) and my daughter is questioning me and i can't answer. I'll try anything at this point.

I don't know what the rates of success are, but isn't acupuncture supposed to help with the cravings? there is an expat acupuncturist here in BA, if you're interested I can PM her contact details.

Back