Racism in BA, am I alone?

its funny how Argentinians behave so well when they are in another country but in their own, they are racist and rude.
Not less/anymore than all other people in the World. The difference being that Argentines are not politically correct and don't care talking about that.

The issue is yes every place is racist, but Argentina is more obvious about it. Yes, the US is probably just as racist as Argentina, but the fact the people are frowned upon for doing it does help stop it. While here, someone says they dislike Chinese people and everyone agrees and continues to spread racism by making it okay because everyone is doing it.

I dont deny there is a lot of racism in Argentina. But often over sensitive foreigners tend to bring up the "race" issue all to quickly, when its just cultural misunderstanding.

For example in this comment:

Nope, sadly you're not alone. That was quite extreme though...

Try to go to jewelry shops like TODO MODA or CLANDESTINE or so or just any shop and you'll notice how guards stare at you, shop assistants come to you and say TE PUEDO AYUDAR? .... don't get that wrong, they're not being nice, just keeping an eye on you.

I thought I was paranoid, but after having this experience whenever I go shopping or simply browsing, I noticed that it happens to me but not everybody..... u get my drift?? Clothes and shoes are the exception, bcs they really need to come to you and say TE PUEDO AYUDAR? right?
Shop assistants are known for being agressive in Argentina, not just with you, with everyone. In fact, they even made a commercial about the "TE PUEDO AYUDAR" (and the obligatory answer "estoy mirando"). Clearly not a race issue.

You can check the commercial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-ROf3c3CM

Also argentinians stare a lot, again not necessarily a race issue.
We do are way more politically incorrect than most people in the US and Europe, so offensive comments are more tolerated, that its true.

My point is, you have to keep in mind that "race issues" doesnt have the same connotation than in the US or Europe, but a different one.

Yes, the US is probably just as racist as Argentina, but the fact the people are frowned upon for doing it does help stop it. While here, someone says they dislike Chinese people and everyone agrees and continues to spread racism by making it okay because everyone is doing it.
I dont agree here. I think argentinas way is more healthy. People speak their minds, often saying dumb shit, but saying it, talking about it, arguing about it is always more healthy than shutting up and growing resented over it. In my opinion is no coincidence that some of the most Politically Correct countries in the world (for example the Scandinavian countries, the US) produce the most racist and xenophobes groups out there.

There are many good points...unfortunately as a whole, too many black and white in their analysis. :p
Ignorance and racism go hand in hand...
Ignorance is based in a lack of knowledge, education, experience etc..
Not many Argentines have experienced meeting/seeing many "ethnic"(not whitey) foreign people but have seen many "white" foreign people.. (which can also come from many different countries/cultures)
In conclusion: Mongolian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Pacific Islander, Hawaiian, etc etc.. are all "Chino" (Chinese)..and might even make squinty eyes whilst talking about them..
Saudi, Omani, Turkish, Pakistani, Egyptian, etc.. all are "Turkos"

so..yes, without arguing about political correctness... one could come to the conclusion that Argentines seem to be more racist than North Americans..in general ..No?

I have never seen Argentinian socialize with Peruvian, Bolivians or anyone of a difference race except if they work for you. Yes, I have seen racism since I have been here. It is like the south not accepting blacks in America in the 1950's. Grow up Argentina. We aren't all the master race as you!

fedecc said:
I dont deny there is a lot of racism in Argentina.....I think argentinas way is more healthy. People speak their minds, often saying dumb shit, but saying it....
You mean, like Hitler et al??

eva_rgentina said:
They are more racist here, I'd say. But it's strangely intertwined with the way they talk and see the world in general. I know a guy who everyone calls "el chino" and he's not even Asian, just slight squinty-eyed. Another "el negro," "la negra," etc. (These also, not black or even native). They tend to label and then stick to it, unfortunately this can lead to even more racism.

When it comes to staring, I'd say they do stare more. I have very light blue eyes: it warrants, inevitably, stares and comments. I guess, being white, it isn't racism, but it is strange.

Sorry to all those who have had bad experiences.

Eva, I'm also sorry for all those who hav had bad experiences, but as a local, I'm just shocked by what you just wrote. You considered that racism? I can't believe it, sorry. This is cultural misunderstanding.

Let's see each part:

eva_rgentina said:
I know a guy who everyone calls "el chino" and he's not even Asian, just slight squinty-eyed. Another "el negro," "la negra," etc. (These also, not black or even native).

Can I ask you how do you consider this racist? I just don't see it! This is very common here, many times it has been mentioned on this forum, not only by locals, but also by expats (many of whom don't consider it racism).

What's wrong with with calling someone with squint eyes "chino"? Is it wrong to be squinty-eyed? Is it wrong to be Chinese? (Why say "Asian" and not what you really are aiming at: Chinese / Japanese / Corean??? What's wrong with calling them that? What's wrong with calling someone "negro", "negra", "black" or whatever? And what does it matter whether he is Chinese or Black or whatever? I just don't see the racism... "Chino" / "Negro", etc. in these cases is more often than not a term of endearment...

Sorry, this lends itself for many pages of writing, but I'm just a bit sleepy right now.

Hasta mañana, negra! :)

Santiago F said:
Well, Hitler is more known for what it DID, not just said.

That comparison is "a bit" far-fetched.

Cheers,

What he did and what he said were both results of what he believed. I don't think the comparison is far fetched at all.

PhilipDT said:
What he did and what he said were both results of what he believed. I don't think the comparison is far fetched at all.

The comparison that I considered far-fetch is not between what he did and what he said or believed, but the one between Hitler and Argentines speaking their minds off. That is what I consider far-fetched.

Back