Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
I've witnessed a lot of racism here towards Bolivians, Peruvians, and Paraguayans. I'm wondering if there is any toward expats. Personally, I haven't experienced it. Even when I couldn't speak Spanish Argentines have been very accommodating. I can't say the same for my Brasilian wife when we were in the US.

What has been your experience?

GS

In the social scale, europeans and americans are at the top, even the british!! and the bolivians, peruvians and paraguayans at the bottom. Sad, very sad, if exists, racism might be the other way round.

Nothing directed at me, but I'm white and work mostly with reasonably educated naval officers. I've had to go out of my way to correct colleagues from time to time about attitudes and stereotypes about African-Americans that they picked up from our (U.S.) popular culture (movies and hip-hop lyrics mostly), which is pretty pathetic.

I have been lectured by cabbies about the iniquities of American foreign policy, but that wasn't mean-spirited, nor was it prejudice.

I have been insulted, as a non-Argentine, for asking someone to move his feet off the seats so I could sit down on the Subte. I responded that my children are Argentine (a half-truth, as I have only one, and she is only entitled to Argentine nationality despite never having requested it). That didn't make any difference to the dickhead in question, who got more verbally belligerent. I am very fluent in Spanish, though I can't quite pass for a native speaker.

Sadly I have seen a lot of racism and hatred against Bolivians mainly. In my case the only thing I've seen is that despite my biggest efforts and attempts at trying to socialize, I will simply always be the "Yankee", the foreigner, like that is my sole identity. I mean it's quite obvious anyway, it just gets old quickly. Anything else I am or might be comes after that and nothing is more important or outweighs that. I really don't know how widespread the racism is but it's very dangerous because it's the kind of thing that can easily "start a fire".

Racism and racial discrimination are deeply rooted in the Society check how many non.European members are in Congress...! Or for that purpose on TV screens. It's not only against foreigners from neighboring countries, but also against Negros locals.

It's European v/s Altiplanic origins...!! :D

I get called Yanqui often, however never in a disrespectful way. It's almost the same as being called Cordobés, Correntino, Pampeño, Riojano, etc. I hear a lot of negative comments about Bolivians, Peruvians, Paraguayans, Chilenos, Colombianos and sometimes even Uruguayos. I have never had a negative experience with any of these nationalities, in face Colombians are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

I dont know what racism is?

Are you talking about people forming groups and being mean to other group, well I see it everywhere b/w Club b/W religions, b/w cities and yes how i can I miss b/w political parties....

wish I could understand what racism is...

One time i was talking with argentinian friends and they were saying not so nice things about immigrants. I asked who were the immigrants, and they said the bolivians, paraguayans, peruvian etc. I asked them "what about me??? Im an immigrant as well!", to which they replied "no, no, if you are not from a poor country you are a foreigner and dont worry, thats exotique and cool"... I couldnt even believe! (Im from brazil btw). Also I have heard about some brazilians being called monkeys by some drunk argentinian guys in a club, i think it was mandarine in 2010! I wasnt there to see it but I wouldnt doubt it...

Apparently all Asian people here are "chinos" according to many Argentineans I have spoken with (that's how they refer to them anyway).

A Japanese man (from Okinawa) that my girlfriend worked with was called "chino" as a nickname by everyone in the office.

Now that just wouldn't fly in my country.

Back