Racism in BA, am I alone?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303661904576456210544473444.html

Well, he thinks that Argentines dance better just because they were born here and first he void them, after the class action he proposed to do an appardheid in Tango, it means, another category just for expats. Until last year, couples of argentine/expat were allowed.
At the hearing I asked, well, if you are going to spend all this money and effort to do again the contest, why don t you do it with argentine too. They freak out about this idea, I mean, to back the rules to the way they were for over 9 years.

Regards

See, instead of quoting every message, I'll just reply like this.
For me personally, I do feel insulted if I do get called Chinese due to the fact that it is just pure ignorance.
I hate that they think I can't speak Spanish, I hate how the girls address me as stupid, and I really hate being insulted in Spanish like I can't understand it and they're laughing at me.
Really, especially for let's phrase this as ' Bolivians or peruvians', it's something that I feel really offended from.
Who are they to judge me?
Why do people judge me?
They might have dyed or bleached blonde hair but that doesn't change the fact that they have black hair as I do, and really calling me stupid and insulting me is something that really bothers me about this country.
I grew up in Ridgewood located in New Jersey from a generally middle to high class where I had a few rich snobs around me but they were never as judgmental or hateful as the people here.
As for the guys, today I was walking a lot throughout the general city, mainly around Rivadavia.
Get this. Police guards and security guards kept on whistling and trying to approach me physically.
No I was not wearing anything revealing at all, I was wearing skinny jeans with an overly large t-shirt.
Nether less to say, it honestly made me so uncomfortable all throughout the day.
Honestly the ignorance... And sometimes the hate...
I have a 9 year old sister and a 5 year old sister.
I took my 5 year old sister somewhere close, a park in rivadavia and I got on a bus.
Now she's a small kid and when generally people see toddlers, they tend to move right?
A woman was apparently behind me with a toddler as well.
So when someone got out of a seat, since I saw no elders or anyone disabled in front of me nor anyone taking the seat, I told my sister to sit down.
The woman who got up from the seat yelled at me in Spanish pointing behind me saying the seat was for the kid behind me.
What kind of (excuse my language) bullshit is this?
Honestly.
I felt like I had been verbally slapped for crying out loud.

Im nt sure I can understand what you wrote.
U are sayong that macri organiased a tango competition , and doesnt want to allow argentines to participate ?

I applaude you Ahyoung.
In your young age you have more understanding than many people my age.
Ridgewood. Yes , . I often tell people that i lived in to mixed a community to to ever have a hope of being racist.
I lived in flushing Queens. right off nothern boulevard. But back in '67 when we first moved to the states , it wasnt an asian community as it is now. Matter of fact , t was mosty WASP. And they wernt a a very hospitable bunch. That was where i first learnd the derrogatery term "SPIC"
I like what you wrote. I think with every generation there is ( as you have shown) more insight into the fact that racism is unaceptable , boorish , and ignorant.
I know you wrote you were bored.
Try this for some evil fun.
Next time some knuckle dragging jerk makes one of those disgusting comments portenios are knownfor , inmediately start asking him about his mother . Ask him where his mother is at that very moment , tell him you know otherwise. Ignorant portenios that spew "piropos" and other VERBAL ASSAULTS on women , have something in common , they are verry atached to their mommies . And get all disarranged when you directly question the sanctity of their mammas

^ I actually laughed :3 thank you haha that sounds like a solution...
And thank you:)
It's just that verbal abuse of character and other things are fine with me since it's just who I am.
But racism isn't something that I tend to tolerate no matter who it comes from.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, he thinks that Argentines dance better just because they were born here and first he void them, after the class action he proposed to do an appardheid in Tango,

I can't believe you'd use the word apartheid reggarding a tango competition.

Ahyoung_S95 said:
Really, especially for let's phrase this as ' Bolivians or peruvians', it's something that I feel really offended from.
Who are they to judge me?
Why do people judge me?
They might have dyed or bleached blonde hair but that doesn't change the fact that they have black hair as I do

I didn't understand this. can you explain?

^ I meant that I honestly didn't get why I was being judged especially by what I looked like.
I heard the words like fake and dressing like a Yankee which I told them straight off that I am from USA but like the fact that they have black hair too and they dye it blonde, the facts that they try hard to be European and all of that, I'm not saying all but the ones that do judge have no right to do so.

Honestly, Ahyoung_S95, the guys approaching you, whistling at you etc, has nothing to do with the fact that you are Asian. It has to do with the fact that you are sixteen. Check out the other threads written by other girls about guy attitudes in BsAs. It is pretty common and everyone your age gets it. They'd feel like they were letting down the man race here if they didn't try to flirt with you.

Also, I'm Chinese and don't feel particularly offended if people mistake me for Korean, Filipino, Malay whatever. It's really not personal. Surely we are not so cookie cutter like that a Chinese would look one way and a Korean another. Growing up in a multi racial Asian country and meeting a lot of Asians myself, there is no way I could tell just by looking with every single Asian whether they were Korean, Japanese, Hmong, etc. I don't think that makes me ignorant. It's just life.

That said, there is racism in BsAs. I have had people yell stuff at me just because of my race. The old ladies in line in Coto and Disco didn't seem to mind I was Chinese and always chatted and complained with me.

Hopefully, this racism issue doesn't spoil the time you will spend there because despite all its faults, BsAs truly has a lot of redeeming qualities.

Argentineans play the i am not racist game, but they are racist withen themselves.... negro de mierda, villero de mierda, ecuatoriano indio, peruano cholo machupichu, colambiano traquetero, boliviano bolita, yanqui puto, paraguayo cabeza etc..... this is not the US where racist kill you, but Argies are very offensive

HenryNisental said:
My family here are good friends with a chinese family from the Belgrano area.
We invited them them to several BBQ´S, pork roasts,etc.
Now historically speaking, the most racist organizations in this country were the military.
Early in the 1900´s, they would not accept indian or mestizos children to the military academies in this country.
Gral. Juan Domingo Perón lied about his own mother (she was indian) stating in the application forms that she was "spaniard" in origin.
And my own uncle was kicked out of the Aviation Academy here when they found out he was a Sefaradic Jew (during the phisical, of course).
They planted ONE "stolen" boot under his pillow and thew him out of the school (why he would steal only one boot? why not both?).

I partly agree with Henry's statement. Yes, the military has been a very racist organization. And in many areas still is. However, my grandfather, who has not only a very dark skin tone but his mum was actually of native decedent (with a very native last name), joined the army on the 40's, had a pretty good career and made it to Colonel and so did 3 of his children, including my dad.
However... I'm very sorry for your uncle. I totally believe that since I've known about similar situations in the army, including one famous newsreader

Back