Racist tweet by Trump re future immigration to the US

rcrt said:
"I think there ought to be limits to free speech. There should be cultural conventions that prohibit or disincentivize speaking authoritatively on subjects you aren't an expert on. The internet has given people the false impression that they are informed on a topic such as the Islamic Republic of Iran, when they don't speak Farsi, can't name a single newspaper from the country, have never been within 2,000 kilometers of Tehran, but then those same uninformed people turn around and post their hot take on it and, next thing you know, their bloviating has become canon. Perhaps Trump is the logical conclusion of this "amateur hour" effect. You can bet that more than half of the people who agree that Haiti is a shithole can't even point to it on a map. We are truly in the age of the idiot."

RCRT, a course in American Government would be very helpful for you.

I'd like to say that you are completely wrong but I'll go with you're 98% wrong.

First, until recently the various bodies of American Government executed their roles of 'checks and balances' well. The somehow, about the time that George W. Bush decided to attack Iraq, Congress and the the fourth estate (the news media) abandoned their role of asking serious questions and searching for the truth. Without them the US is rudderless.

Secondly, in reading your comments I do agree that "We are truly in the age of the idiot."

Had a subcontractor who decided not to renew his union contract. the union, 20 people, stood outside his office waiting for the office manager to retrieve the mail. they we yelling "fucking cunt..fucking cunt". police are there.. owner comes out and says they can't continue to molest her. police response was its thier first amendment right. oh well

Had a subcontractor who decided not to renew his union contract. the union, 20 people, stood outside his office waiting for the office manager to retrieve the mail. they we yelling "fucking cunt..fucking cunt". police are there.. owner comes out and says they can't continue to molest her. police response was its thier first amendment right. oh well
There is a difference between creating a public disturbance, harassment, actionable threats etc on the one hand and freedom to express yourself aka free speech on the other. Basic US Constitutional law. Some utterances are not permitted so it is not permitted to shout "fire" in a crowded theater, or to harass or threaten or intimidate others. Certain fighting words may constitute an assault and are also proscribed by the law.
It seems to me shouting such profanity on a public street could constitute unlawful conduct as in creating a public disturbance or nuisance. The police may not have had sufficient credence in the person summoning them if they didn't witness the offensive conduct/shouting. And...sometimes the police are wrong.

Julian63 - .....immigration from Haiti and African nations needs to be tempered. I don't know the exact parameters of the proposed legislation admitting residents/citizens of those "shithole" nations to which he referred, but I believe a lottery system (I understand this to be a feature of the legislation) might not be appropriate given existing realities.

Alternative to lottery system?
http://braceroarchive.org/about
The Bracero Program, which brought millions of Mexican guest workers to the United States, ended more than four decades ago. Current debates about immigration policy-including discussions about a new guest worker program-have put the program back in the news and made it all the more important to understand this chapter of American history. Yet while top U.S. and Mexican officials re- examine the Bracero Program as a possible model, most Americans know very little about the program, the nation's largest experiment with guest workers. Indeed, until very recently, this important story has been inadequately documented and studied, even by scholars.

I grew up in San Francisco during the 60's. This program functioned reasonably well until 1964. While many 18+ year olds from working class families began enrolling in CA colleges, the migrant workers from Mexico sought out farming jobs under the program. The dismantling was mainly supported by the powerful unions which were deprived of funds derived from member dues.

Good luck to voters who helped to elect Trump. Those who denounce lack of jobs, are they willing to take over those tasks now being done by immigrants from "shithole" countries? California's farming, construction, residential/commercial cleaning services and the hospitality industries depend primarily on immigrants. As well as the nursing profession. Their labor maintains the functioning of these essential ancillary services.

The nursing profession? You mean hospitals hire illegals to be nurses?

The nursing profession? You mean hospitals hire illegals to be nurses?
Though she can answer for herself I suspect gracielle means private, home care type of nursing...and to the extent she does, she has reason to make this assertion.

Sergio - in that post I was referring to foreign born and trained nurses who are granted work visas at the petition of US medical facilities. This is due to the shortage of skilled nursing professionals which has been an on-going issue for quite some time.
http://www.nursingworld.org/nursingshortage

Julian63 - thank you for bringing up the issue of home care nursing provided by illegal immigrants. There are 2 categories...home health aides and personal care aides.
https://www.thebalance.com/home-health-aide-526026

In the SF Bay Area this is a common practice within the Latin community. There are family members of Spanish-speaking persons who choose to go the illegal route when hiring a worker to assist with the care of a parent, etc. in their home. Current wages go from $12-15 an hour + to/from transportation for a minimum of a 4-hr shift. And around $20-25 per hr + transportation if the worker is a male. This is not due to gender discrimination but about physical capabilities of the worker in dealing with male patients.

As opposed to the hiring of legal immigrants which are recruited by specialized employment agencies who verify their certification and previous job references as well as provide disability insurance while on the job. Most agencies charge the person doing the hiring $50+ per hr which averages about $25-30 per hr gross to the employee.

RCRT, a course in American Government would be very helpful for you.

Interesting. You think there should be limits on free speech? Who sets the limits?
p.s. Out of curiosity, where are you from? Iran?

I was born in Oklahoma. Just what does the United States get out of its strawman "freedom" in 2018 except 5,000 channels of garbage and a population drunk on entertainment? How democratic can a society truly be when election after election is narrowly won and bitterly contested?

It's puzzling why anyone would get uptight about honor killings and stonings 15,000 kilometers away when a woman is murdered in a DV incident seemingly every day in Argentina.

Trump LOL I believe his demise is forthcoming, let us just wait and see. But the interesting part is the Christian support well not really christians as I see just religious bigots.

I was born in Oklahoma. Just what does the United States get out of its strawman "freedom" in 2018 except 5,000 channels of garbage and a population drunk on entertainment? How democratic can a society truly be when election after election is narrowly won and bitterly contested?

Up until now its worked just fine. FDR, Lincoln, Bush II, all bitter elections. Talk about narrow/bitter elections, do you remember the hanging chads in Florida in 2002? Lincoln squeaked in as a distant third party candidate. But until now elected politicians put the nations welfare ahead of their own disappointments.

Not attending the State of the Union, campaigning that 'he's not my president', this is new.

Back