Random Encounters

I remember taking a TV to be repaired at a small TV repair shop in Olivos.
After we had decided what to do with the TV, the man, who was about my age, asked a few questions about my heritage, as is usual.
Then out of the blue, he told me he was a survivor of the Belgrano sinking.
We chatted a little more, shook hands and then I left, maybe a little wiser of the facts.
There was no malice in his eyes whatsoever, in spite of the fact he heard me tell him I was a Brit.

This morning after breakfast and my usual leisurely cappuccino over the newspapers, I walked up Florida further north than I've been before, and discovered another pietonal called Lavalle that crosses Florida and runs East-West. I turned Left and headed back West toward 9 de Julio. There were all sorts of interesting shops, and this one fairly short little dead-end pietonal off Lavalle to the North that seemed to be lined by what called themselves "Sex Shops", although a casual glance revealed nothing more risque than women's naughty underwear, (understanding, please, that I use the word "naughty" in a thoroughly approving and most appreciative sense). But the one that made me laugh was the "Rey David Sex Shop", complete with a big magen david in the window. I just never associated David with sexual adventure before. I was thinking, wasn't that more Solomon's thing, with Bathsheba and all? Perhaps that bit about how Uriah "was always in the forefront of the battle", was actually an allegory for something more personal?

Anyhow, I kept going West and I saw the cutest couple. The one young woman was doing the old classic "making an arm" thing, with her left hand on her hip, and her elbow sticking out. Her girlfriend was holding her arm, and they just looked so radiantly happy together it was really sweet. More than enough to make a silly romantic old fart like me a little misty-eyed. And the odd thing is, this was only a couple hours ago, but I have no clear recollection of what they looked like, only that they were so obviously delighted in one another's company.

To answer your question (the Puritan on this site would know, right?), David had an affair with Bathsheba and killed her husband Uriah by sending him to the forefront of the battle. Solomon, his son, had around 1000 wives (all those were probably more about national and tribal alliances and power than anything else, beyond the sex part).

To answer your question (the Puritan on this site would know, right?), David had an affair with Bathsheba and killed her husband Uriah by sending him to the forefront of the battle. Solomon, his son, had around 1000 wives (all those were probably more about national and tribal alliances and power than anything else, beyond the sex part).

Damn, you're right, it was David and not Solomon! Thank you for correcting my misapprehension on that.

I'm not a Christian these days, I'm not even very religious at all. It's just that these ideas were pounded into my head so hard when I was small, that it's impossible to forget them completely, (although I obviously have issues with confusing one king of ancient Israel with another).

And I like Matthew 7 in particular because even if taken in a purely secular sense, it contains some very good advice on social interactions, and getting along with people, and avoiding hypocrisy, to such an extent that it is humanly possible to avoid hypocrisy. I know and freely admit that I myself am often guilty of being hypocritical, and all I can say in my defense is that I try to avoid it, and I try to resolve it when it's pointed out to me.

And as for Solomon, can you imagine having 1000 wives mad at you all at once? One can be scary enough, from what I've seen in the marriages of friends and family.

For most of us, any time we make a major cultural change, there is a moment of intense disorientation somewhere in the range of 30-90 days after we arrive. For many, this takes the form of homesickness, and it is a known phenomenon. Three weeks is early for such an episode, and it totally blindsided me last night. I wasn't homesick at all, but it was an evening of major emo distress.

I was already annoyed and unhappy about collecting a second blast in that Venezuela thread. It felt like double jeopardy and I knew I couldn't defend myself without re-igniting the whole controversy.

And I seemed to have eaten something that disagreed with me, which resulted in a touch of the old green apple quickstep.

Then I received some bad news from my (prospective) new landlords, who called to tell me that I can't move into the new department on Monday as we had planned, because the previous tenant can't leave for Chile because her car broke down blah blah blah, yadda yadda. After reading all the horror stories about broken agreements and general Argentine flakiness on these forums, that caused me to wonder whether I can trust these people at all. And it means I have to extend my stay in a hotel, again. (insert multiple highly pungent expletives here).

Anyhow, it all caught me by surprise and I just lost it. I flew into a rage and actually threw a magazine across the room, which is quite unusually demonstrative behavior for me. Trying to calm down, I had a glass of wine, listened to sad mariachi music, and got all bummed out and weepy. And the really annoying part was, I knew I was over-reacting, so there was that element of self-disgust on top of it all.

It was a bad night. But the sun is up now and it's all cool. In retrospect, I recognise it as the predictable emo crisis of reorientation to a new environment and a new culture, and absolutely nothing to worry about now it's over.

The message for any new arrivals that read this - be prepared for your moment of disorientation. Just ride it out and don't let it overwhelm you. Just hang in there, and it will all be fine in the morning.

Earlier in the evening, I had dinner down the street in this little hole in the wall joint. The waitress was at that indeterminate age somewhere from 25-35 at which a woman's first blush of youth is visibly gone. The age at which those first ghosts of crow's feet appear at the corner of her eyes, as the burdens of a woman's life begin to take their toll. The age at which she looks into the mirror in the morning, and knows what she will look like as an old woman. The age at which she begins to seriously wonder where her life is going, and what she will do as the long and weary years wear on.

She was moving at about half speed, and the bossman behind the bar was visibly annoyed with her, snarling low-voiced comments at her with that hard-faced look that bosses get when you're in deep kimchee. (as an aside, it seems to me that male employers and supervisors can be amazingly harsh with female subordinates in this country)

And she was so visibly sad that it just broke my heart. She didn't give me any attitude, or seem to have that sort of a problem. Her eyes showed no signs of a drug habit. She wasn't moving like she was in physical pain. She just seemed so incredibly sad and weary and hopeless.

This is actually not the first time I have seen this, there was one of the girls who worked the breakfast buffet at my first hotel who also looked very very sad, though she was much younger than the waitress I'm talking about now.

It occurs to me that, in all sympathy, Argentine society is under massive stress at this point in time. And, in many cultures, women often seem to absorb the stress and unhappiness, to be the canaries in the coal mine, the ones upon whom it all gets dumped. Because we know what it is that runs downhill, don't we? And no, I don't mean water.

Earlier in the evening, I had dinner down the street in this little hole in the wall joint. The waitress was at that indeterminate age somewhere from 25-35 at which a woman's first blush of youth is visibly gone. The age at which those first ghosts of crow's feet appear at the corner of her eyes, as the burdens of a woman's life begin to take their toll. The age at which she looks into the mirror in the morning, and knows what she will look like as an old woman. The age at which she begins to seriously wonder where her life is going, and what she will do as the long and weary years wear on.

This is actually not the first time I have seen this, there was one of the girls who worked the breakfast buffet at my first hotel who also looked very very sad, though she was much younger than the waitress I'm talking about now.

Did you accidentally post this on the forum instead of on your personal blog? Cut this crap out, please. I think you are trying to sound literary or something, but you just sound sexist. Service industry professionals look miserable in Buenos Aires because the pay is shit and Argentines tend to hate working in general, even if they like their job. Ride the subte at rush hour and you will see that everyone looks like they just got diagnosed with a terminal illness and are trying to absorb the news. Get used to it.

Is that the best you can do when you fly into a rage? Throw a magazine across the room?

It occurs to me that, in all sympathy, Argentine society is under massive stress at this point in time. And, in many cultures, women often seem to absorb the stress and unhappiness, to be the canaries in the coal mine, the ones upon whom it all gets dumped. Because we know what it is that runs downhill, don't we? And no, I don't mean water.
What you say is very true, but it is not just Argentina. Society in much of the world is in this condition, and going downhill.

Did you accidentally post this on the forum instead of on your personal blog? Cut this crap out, please. I think you are trying to sound literary or something, but you just sound sexist. Service industry professionals look miserable in Buenos Aires because the pay is shit and Argentines tend to hate working in general, even if they like their job. Ride the subte at rush hour and you will see that everyone looks like they just got diagnosed with a terminal illness and are trying to absorb the news. Get used to it.

It's certainly true that what I wrote is more personal than anything I've written before, or ever will again, in all likelihood. But, as I clearly explained, there was a reason for this. If my words help even one person to make it through their 90-day crisis a bit more easily, then it will have been worth the embarrassment and unkind comments.

And I would point out that it is fairly common for users to post about their personal experiences here. If you look at the thread about finding love in Argentina, you will find several examples. I think I am safe in asserting that talking about your love life is more personal than problems with landlords.

As to the charge of sexism, it is a brutal fact that society has a nasty habit of judging women on their appearance. I said nothing to defend or justify this practice, I merely referred to it in an indirect manner.

Nonetheless, I do genuinely regret that you were offended. My apologies.

Good for you. I can never get over the very possibility that these women are renting those kids for a day. I've been fortunate in my life but at one point I was 4 days from being on the street. I was offered but never accepted money. I only asked for an opportunity to work.

Everyone has their own story, though.

I've been in that situation too and have been offered money but would only accept work, or food. I know this comment will set off a wild fire, and I'm probably wrong, but honestly, I'm often tempted to carry condoms with me and hand them out. Don't have sex if you can't afford to buy and use condom and take care of a child. Is the five second orgasm worth it? Is it fair to the future baby to raise him or her in the streets?

Did you accidentally smack your head against a very hard surface? How and when do you reckon he sounded sexist? He was sounding literary???? So anyone whose vocabulary exceeds the 100 words you know is not allowed to write freely? The hell with that. He was being tremendously empathetic and sharing his experience. Maybe you don't understand it but some people have good feelings. He never said anything bad about those women looking tired and sad. He was siding with them. You need either some perspective or to go back to elementary school so they can teach you how to read properly.

Back