Rant:people Playing Music Loud Without Headphones On Trains.

Hard solutions: Look at them in an annoying manner. Roll eyes like they should know better. Pretend to be nice and suggest that they can turn down the volume. Get really pissed off and say something a bit more forceful - that they usually ignore anyway or, on occasion, starts an actual fight.

Easy solution: Spend A$R 80 and get a decent set of earphones so you can listen to whatever YOU want to listen to.

I've tried all the above. If my easy solution isn't working I've learned to say please. That works 95% of the time. :)

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Completely subjective, agree, but how in the world is it arrogant or racist?[/background]

"And why is it always horrible Cumbia?" - sounds like cumbia=horrible= non-white people. perhaps you did not mean it that way but to me it comes across that way.

what makes the rolling stones better? (and believe me, i do like the stones but that's not the point.)

"And why is it always horrible Cumbia?" - sounds like cumbia=horrible= non-white people. perhaps you did not mean it that way but to me it comes across that way.

what makes the rolling stones better? (and believe me, i do like the stones but that's not the point.)
Take a nice cup of infusión and calm down a little, will you?

Just use some counterfire whenever cumbia villera is played on the bus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnvBR9wcvqI

Bus drivers routinely play "music" and they are not going to turn it off for you. I don't care for ANY music in public places but in Argentina most people seem to NEED it. As far as I am concerned, music in public places is like smoking. it's imposing your will on others. On long distance trains (Mar del Plata mainly) they play "musica ambiental". It drove me mad on a trip to Mar del Plata a few years ago. No escape. Torture. Rock and Pop for five hours! In the US and UK I travel by train and always head for the Quiet Car -- no mobile phones, conversation in hushed tones. I've never experienced "musica ambiental" on a European train. Strange that Euro-centric Argentines don't copy the European style and allow people to travel in peace.

Phil buddy, if you think cumbia on the bus is worthy of a post your life must be going great. Just cause I'm bored, the following is a list of things that have NEVER bothered me about BA, but seem to bother everyone else:

1. Dog poop. I've never stepped in it. Watch where you're going and you won't either. (I've also never been robbed or even pick pocketed, knock on wood, so I'm basically a unicorn.)
2. Loud colectivos. Get over it. When you're walking down the street and one passes, pause your conversation, then resume it. You won't miss a thing!
3. Music on buses. It's really easy for me to tune this stuff out. Also, cumbia villera can be sort of hilarious sometimes.
4. Graffiti. Well, unless it's that symbol they spray by your door that means "rob this one!!" That sucks. Otherwise, come on, this is Latin America.
5. When we had to use monedas to ride the colectivo. Get them together beforehand, boom, easy.
6. Broken sidewalks. That water that splashes on you may be gross, but it will dry, so do try to calm down.
7. Waiting in lines. If I get to the end of a long line and actually get what I came for, I am happy and instantly forget about the line.

Now everyone make a list! What is something that other people complain about, but you've never been bothered by or actually like?

I hate music in cafes and restaurants, Often loud and always rock or pop. Classical music unknown by 99.9% of the pubic. WHY, WHY do people have to have "music" in cafes? it just impedes conversation and adds to the din. La Biela doesn't play music, "thanks God". Not many others like that. if you know any quiet, non-music playing cafes in Recoleta / Retiro / Tribunales let me know.

I can't understand how it's racist to hate Cumbia music? Not into country music but I still like cowboys:)

At the risk of being called a racist... at least they weren't blasting reggaeton.

Some drivers on our street play it so loud and with so much bass that the windows of our house rattle as they drive by. It's like a boliche on wheels. Ghetto.

Back