Rat coming up the toilet! Common in Buenos Aires?

Lex

Registered
Ok, so here's one from left field. We just had a rat come up a toilet! We heard a strange gurgling sound coming from the bathroom and my wife went to check. To her immense shock she was confronted with a large rat in the toilet bowl. I then went to check and it was gone. Presumably (hopefully!), it swam back down the toilet and didn't escape the bathroom. I googled this and apparently it does happen. Has anyone had this happen and is this common in Buenos Aires? If so, any tips on how to stop it from happening? Or is this just one of the vagaries of Argentine plumbing...

Yes, although I read that big rats can still push up the lid and get out!

Ok, so here's one from left field. We just had a rat come up a toilet! We heard a strange gurgling sound coming from the bathroom and my wife went to check. To her immense shock she was confronted with a large rat in the toilet bowl. I then went to check and it was gone. Presumably (hopefully!), it swam back down the toilet and didn't escape the bathroom. I googled this and apparently it does happen. Has anyone had this happen and is this common in Buenos Aires? If so, any tips on how to stop it from happening? Or is this just one of the vagaries of Argentine plumbing...
Just curious,...do you live in a ground floor apt.??? I live in a third floor, I can't imagine one climbing that high to look at who knows what???.

So the women turn out to be right after all! The seat and lid really should be down.
Except that a rat can crawl through the space between the bowl and the seat - but one would probably have some difficulty getting up the side of the bowl.

Just curious,...do you live in a ground floor apt.??? I live in a third floor, I can't imagine one climbing that high to look at who knows what???.
A house. The toilet the rat came through is on the ground floor. I wondered the same as we have another toilet upstairs. I wouldn't put it past a rat to climb up interior toilet pipes to higher floors! See the video in this article: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...im-up-your-toilet-and-it-gets-worse-than-that

Back