Re: Definition of a 'gato'

Granadaiscool

Registered
"Fishface" said:
How would you spot a 'gato'?

I can after 3 years of experience. If you think it´s a gato, ask her the folowing: Dont you have to work tomorrow? or Where do you live? If it´s zona sur you can be 99,9% sure that she is either a gato or a hooker
What is particular to their behaviour or dress?
In general terms. Ugly blonde hair, not dressed classly, uneducated
Are they unique to Argentina?
Prolly because in all other latin American countries the upper class doesn´t mix with the lower class

Granadaiscool

A gato = a Cougar (common term in Canada, think it's finally making it round the world now)
Cougars attack their prey by pouncing, digging their claws in, and holding on until the prey succumbs.
The smaller the difference in age between a mother and her child, the more likely the term applies, however it is inversely proportional to the amount of power and independence of the woman -- ie a woman with her own financial means is less likely to fit into the category of cougar, if she's on the prowl, she's probably just looking for a boytoy rather than a life raft.
A gato doesn't necessarily mean a hooker. Like their North American cousin, the Cougar, they may dress like one, but they aren't one.

"Granadaiscool" said:
How would you spot a 'gato'? I can after 3 years of experience. If you think it´s a gato, ask her the folowing: Dont you have to work tomorrow? or Where do you live? If it´s zona sur you can be 99,9% sure that she is either a gato or a hooker
What is particular to their behaviour or dress? In general terms. Ugly blonde hair, not dressed classly, uneducated
Are they unique to Argentina? Prolly because in all other latin American countries the upper class doesn´t mix with the lower class

Granadaiscool
Granadaiscool, I beg to differ. Implying that a lady who lives in the southern suburbs is by definition a "gato" is not only inaccurate, it's also insulting. I happen to have a lot of friends in the southern suburbs, who they don't have to keep shouting "upper class" from every rooftop, because they ARE members of the upper class by nature. I personally find your obsession with this subject quite disturbing, and probably an indication of your own dodgy origins.
Hello fishface,Contrary to Granada's misconceived understanding, a "gato", please excuse my language, is not a common "whore". The latter are easy to spot. "Gatos" are usually well-educated, attractive girls, who provide this "public service" simply because they make LOADS of money by doing it. Or so I am told...
Some put themselves through college this way. I understand the same applies to the UK..

Gato: Golddigger. Is a girl who firstly looks at a free beer, gift, night out, good time and second maybe in a relationship with someone who is from the first world and earns in dollars or Euro´s. I would assume some kind of money transaction is involved. Either to sleep with her or afterwards. And she has the night off.
Our future queen is also a gato.

"Ernie" said:
How would you spot a 'gato'? I can after 3 years of experience. If you think it´s a gato, ask her the folowing: Dont you have to work tomorrow? or Where do you live? If it´s zona sur you can be 99,9% sure that she is either a gato or a hooker
What is particular to their behaviour or dress? In general terms. Ugly blonde hair, not dressed classly, uneducated
Are they unique to Argentina? Prolly because in all other latin American countries the upper class doesn´t mix with the lower class

Granadaiscool

Granadaiscool,
I beg to differ. Implying that a lady who lives in the southern suburbs is by definition a "gato" is not only inaccurate, it's also insulting. I happen to have a lot of friends in the southern suburbs, who they don't have to keep shouting "upper class" from every rooftop, because they ARE members of the upper class by nature. I personally find your obsession with this subject quite disturbing, and probably an indication of your own dodgy origins.

Hello fishface,
Contrary to Granada's misconceived understanding, a "gato", please excuse my language, is not a common "whore". The latter are easy to spot. "Gatos" are usually well-educated, attractive girls, who provide this "public service" simply because they make LOADS of money by doing it. Or so I am told...

Some put themselves through college this way. I understand the same applies to the UK..
I did not say that 99,9% of woman from zona Sur are gatos

"Fishface" said:
Gato: Golddigger. Is a girl who firstly looks at a free beer, gift, night out, good time and second maybe in a relationship with someone who is from the first world and earns in dollars or Euro´s. I would assume some kind of money transaction is involved. Either to sleep with her or afterwards. And she has the night off.
Our future queen is also a gato.

By that measure 90% of women in London and New York are 'gatos'.
Seems to be a perception of a very wide range from a smart woman to an experienced hooker - big category - still no definition.
Then again if it is a mutual arrangement then no harm done I guess - old fashioned love.
I never heard a girl there asking? Do you buy me a beer/wodka/Baco/Redbull-Wodka. In Argentina it does happen all the time if you want too

I find that most Argentine women, unlike their American counterparts, are mostly looking for a free ride, so to speak. Part of it is Latin culture where the male pays for everything, treats them like Goddesses and caters to their every whim. Ultimately it is the men who feed into this concept because they think they are going to get something out of it. Women in Argentina NEVER pay for anything and that is expected. My perception, particularly in my neighborhood (Recoleta) of women here is unfortunately very negative. Most of them look like whores or tranvestites and can offer nothing of value. Luckily I am gay so none of this matters one bit to me but I will say that when women here don't get the attention they think they rightfully deserve or get their way, they become very insolent and rude. As I always say, "I ain't buyin' what you're sellin'" and they don't like that since I am not under their "spell"....

"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
I find that most Argentine women, unlike their American counterparts, are mostly looking for a free ride, so to speak. Part of it is Latin culture where the male pays for everything, treats them like Goddesses and caters to their every whim. Ultimately it is the men who feed into this concept because they think they are going to get something out of it. Women in Argentina NEVER pay for anything and that is expected. My perception, particularly in my neighborhood (Recoleta) of women here is unfortunately very negative. Most of them look like whores or tranvestites and can offer nothing of value. Luckily I am gay so none of this matters one bit to me but I will say that when women here don't get the attention they think they rightfully deserve or get their way, they become very insolent and rude. As I always say, "I ain't buyin' what you're sellin'" and they don't like that since I am not under their "spell"....
After going out with many portena´s for the last 3 years I would say that the guy only needs to pay the telo. But I only date girls who either study or work or do both.
It´s probally a lot different if you look for the gato´s

"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
Your assessment is correct, sir. The counterfeit currency Argentine women use is called "love." They seem to be "falling in love" all the time; perhaps it's just a coincidence but the men they "fall in love" with are invariably well-heeled and/or foreigners. Perhaps a cynical judgement.

Back