Re: Taxi Drivers - sharp practice

My wife, a native Argentine, took a taxi the other night. When the time came to pay, she realized she only had a 100 peso note. The driver took the note, fumbled around a bit and said "no llego," meaning he couldn't break the bill. He handed her back the note and she and her friend managed to round up the fee among them. When she took the note out later she realized he had changed the bill for a fake one. He was probably given the note in payment and felt it was OK to pass it along.

"RichardP" said:
When she took the note out later she realized he had changed the bill for a fake one. He was probably given the note in payment and felt it was OK to pass it along.
I don't think so. EVERY bill that those guys get they thumb the texture in the collars of the faces on the front. They check the water spot. They check the shiny green ink on the number.
THAT TAXISTA KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING!!
Also, getting out near a cop doesn't help. When a taxi meter was going double speed last year and we had the guy stop near a cop, I went to the cop to explain the issue. The cop just turned away from me. I then moved in front of the cop again and he continued to turn away. They don't give a shit if an extranjero gets screwed out of a few pesos.
Have the guy stop, then get out and walk back the sidewalk against traffic. He's not going to leave his car. He'll be pissed, but he basically can't do anything.
Make sure you hold out for a RADIO TAXI. The percentages of getting screwed with a NON-Radio Taxi are much higher.

I guess I've been lucky, I think I only had 1 problem with taxis over the past year. He deliberately went by my street and I just made him pullover & walked the 4 blocks from there - no big deal in the grand scheme of things. However, I have had lots of drivers not know exactly where they were going so yes, it behooves you to have a general sense so you can give them directions (and this holds true in every major city in the world).

When I had a cab miss a turn when I was going to Palermo, I was fuming b/c I thought he did it on purpose. However, he apologized & turned off the meter & only charged me the correct amount. There is still kindness amongst people.

But yes, always be aware of your route, learn enough spanish to give basic directions & you should be fine most of the time.

If you hail a taxi in the street make sure you get a marked company taxi - one with a sign on the top of the cab, and a company marked on the rear passenger doors. Much less likely to have problems. Non marked cabs are independents - unaccountable and answerable to nobody (afaik). Have never had a problem with a company marked cab.
The website http://www.taxipremium.com.ar/ is really good, especially if your spanish is a little basic.

I can't believe people are complaining about taxis here. I've taken taxis in over 30 countries and believe me, compared to the vast majority Argentina is Taxi Heaven! The vast majority of taxi drivers here seem extremely honest. And they are cheap, and they use meters! Ken

radio taxis pidalo and premium (owned by the same company according to a reliable source, my elderly grandfather) are always a safe bet, and cheaper than hailing a cab off the street. never had problems with them. a trusted local remiseria is also a safe bet. you should be able to avoid most of the above incidences of overcharging and overzealous diversions by sticking to these.
good luck!

I don't understand why so many people are having problems with taxis, or why I am not. I was here last year for 2 months, and this year have been here for almost 4 months so far. I get in the taxi, tell him where I want to go and that's it. No drama, no problems. When I pay, I hold up the bill to the light so that we can both see what I am handing him and that there is a watermark. I always make sure I have small bills so I don't need a lot of change and can't get ripped off too badly, but honestly, I have not had ANY problems with taxi drivers. Before I hail a cab, if I have a choice, I always look for a car that is in good shape and preferably a radio taxi, though there have been times when I had no choice and got a non-radio cab or a taxi that was a real putt-putt, spewing black smoke and barely able to make it to my destination. Still, no problem. I've found taxi drivers respectful and honest. Am I missing something?:confused:

kappra said:
I don't understand why so many people are having problems with taxis, or why I am not. . . . I've found taxi drivers respectful and honest. Am I missing something?:confused:
No, you're not. I, too, have never had a problem with cabbies in Latin America (well, once -- but that was in Chile). Perhaps speaking Spanish helps, though my appearance is pretty clearly extranjero.

kenmtraveller said:
I can't believe people are complaining about taxis here. I've taken taxis in over 30 countries and believe me, compared to the vast majority Argentina is Taxi Heaven! The vast majority of taxi drivers here seem extremely honest. And they are cheap, and they use meters! Ken

Good grief charlie brown, are you for real

Back