Real Estate Agency - BEWARE

Davidglen77

Registered
Real Estate agency - beware
I have had good and bad experiences with Real Estate agencies here in Buenos Aires. The 1st one LORENZO propiedades in Villa Urquiza was great until I bought the apartment and things started falling apart and leaking after a few months as it was new construction and their response was "ya hicimos lo nuestro" in other words, "we are all done, we did our part". The second one was VALJOR in Villa Urquiza, very professional, fast, sold the apartment in 1 week for almost the asking price, just about everything was handled very professionally.

Now the 3rd one, "Ester Matticoli" in Villa Urquiza is the ABSOLUTE WORST. They are the owners of the store that I rent for my business. Even though I have paid my rent every single month on time not even 1 day late for the past almost 3 years, They will not fix any of the constantly leaking pipes, sewer connections, wall mold, or anything else that breaks that is the landlord's responsibility. And when I complain they get VERY nasty and say things to my like "por que no te vas si no te gusta (why don't you leave if you don't like it)", "vos pensás que estás en los Estados Unidos (do you think that you are in the United States)" For all of these problems they have told me I have to take up the issue with the building management and consorcio, and when I go to them they ignore me. So nobody has done anything to fix these issues which have harmed my business, (merchandise ruined by water leaks, thrown in the garbage, horrible smells in the summer when the wastewater overflows from the broken pipes into my store), they have accused me of not letting the plumber in to fix things, which is a total lie. Once a plumber came, made a huge hole in the floor, threw raw cement in to fix it and left the place a filthy mess. They accuse me of not paying the water and ABL tax on time, and then bring me the bills late and try to charge me interest and say it's my fault they are late (the bills go directly to their address). When I did a search on them they are on the list of infractors with the Asociation of Real Estate Agencies in Buenos Aires. I am so sick of this treatment. I am going to get out of this store very soon and move to a different one. I know a lot of people who have businesses in Buenos Aires, and while all of some problems to deal with none have had anything like this. Last week one of the associates came into my store and told me that they as the owners of the property can come in and claim anything that is inside of their property at anytime as their own. He said that if he wants some bottles of wine from my store I have to give them to him for free, because according to the law in Argentina anything inside of his property is his. Can you believe this garbage??

Here is a link to my facebook page with pictures of all of the damage. Stay away from this real estate agency: Ester Matticoli Estudio Inmobiliario, Giribone 2395 'A' Villa Urquiza, Buenos Aires.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=162866773786329

Davidglen77 said:
He said that if he wants some bottles of wine from my store I have to give them to him for free, because according to the law in Argentina anything inside of his property is his. Can you believe this garbage??
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=162866773786329

Whhaaatttt ?! :p

You should stick a strong dosis of laxatives with a serynge in those wine bottles and say "sure, here you are, have one !".

What a nightmare! I'm amazed at everything you've gone through so far (just in that locale!) that you stil want to stay. Best of luck to you resolving this quickly.

My God! Why don´t you sue them? (landlord and consorcio ) also with AFIP, then continue with some real estate chamber, kiosko chamber, and so on. What a bunch of bull,,,t you have been through I can´t believe all the crap they give you! unfuc...ingbelievable!

David you have destroyed just about every delusion I have ever had about setting up a business here and for that I am truly grateful.

pauper said:
David you have destroyed just about every delusion I have ever had about setting up a business here and for that I am truly grateful.

Well I don't know if I should thank you for that comment or not, I have had both good and bad luck. My business actually did well moneywise, I was able to earn back my investment rather quickly (about 6 months) and made a lot of great contacts, friends and otherwise.

However the sentiment here in Buenos Aires, is DEFINITELY anti-entrepreneur. Between the bribe seeking municipal inspectors, landlord, consorcio and armed robbers, it's not easy to have consistent sales and growth. However if you learn your market, the days you are able to work and sell your goods, you can do rather well.

I am taking this all as a learning experience, I am a TOUGH native new yorker and I am not giving up just yet. Soon I will close down this shop and next year hope to open a new smaller location, having corrected many mistakes and implementing what I have learned from owning this business.

Definitely report these people to the AFIP because chances are they aren't paying a penny. You should also file a complaint with the "municipalidad" and I wonder if there isn't a way that they could be reported to some kind of public health authority too because of the sewage problem.
It is exactly these sorts of people that make things so awful for everyone else...throw as much as you can right back at them!

And that is why foreign companies like Carrefour or Starbucks will never come to Argentina. Wait a minute... Ooops, my wrong.

Davidglen77 said:
Well I don't know if I should thank you for that comment or not, I have had both good and bad luck. My business actually did well moneywise, I was able to earn back my investment rather quickly (about 6 months) and made a lot of great contacts, friends and otherwise.

However the sentiment here in Buenos Aires, is DEFINITELY anti-entrepreneur. Between the bribe seeking municipal inspectors, landlord, consorcio and armed robbers, it's not easy to have consistent sales and growth. However if you learn your market, the days you are able to work and sell your goods, you can do rather well.

I am taking this all as a learning experience, I am a TOUGH native new yorker and I am not giving up just yet. Soon I will close down this shop and next year hope to open a new smaller location, having corrected many mistakes and implementing what I have learned from owning this business.

Sorry, no disrespect was meant there at all, I think it would be safe to say almost everyone on this forum would admire you for what you've been through (ok maybe not cabrera), nor was it meant to discourage anyone else thinking of starting a business, I was merely expressing my learned judgement that this caper ain't for me.

Back