real estate terms

BAwithkids

Registered
Can someone tell me what "semipiso" means? And what is a PH? Are these good things?

A semi-piso is literally what it means: 1/2 the floor. It means there are two apartments per floor.

I can have a go at this.

A semipiso is when there are just two flats on a floor. You would call your flat a semipiso if it was one of them.

A PH is more difficult to explain as I believe it covers a wider range. Basically it is not a flat. It could be an older style design where there is a corridor with small house units off the side. It can be more than one storey. It could also be a modern design, or converted house.

As a general rule if it is a semi piso there will probably be less flats in the block. Which is a good thing as it can be more friendly and less hectic but the expenses may well be high.

Older PH's can be run down and sometimes be short on natural light. They can be great especially if they have old features and a terrace, but these are getting hard to find. Often the expenses are alot lower. That is something to watch now as expenses are going up fast .

There are no fixed rules have a look at each place on its merits. Its hard work, I'm not buying again here.

PH - actually stands for Propiedad Horizontal. However in real estate terms, it's a multi-unit dwelling, without an elevator, usually no more than 4 units, and no more than 2 stories (ground level and one above) higher. PHs originally were one single lot with various houses constructed, so technically each house did not have their own deeded land, but owned the actual constructed unit only. Construction style varies greatly and these types of dwellings are disappearing fast as large lots are very valuable for construction of apartment buildings.

Davidglen77 said:
PH - actually stands for Propiedad Horizontal. However in real estate terms, it's a multi-unit dwelling, without an elevator, usually no more than 4 units, and no more than 2 stories (ground level and one above) higher. PHs originally were one single lot with various houses constructed, so technically each house did not have their own deeded land, but owned the actual constructed unit only. Construction style varies greatly and these types of dwellings are disappearing fast as large lots are very valuable for construction of apartment buildings.

I'm not sure that PH's are limited to 4 units. My friend's studio is in a PH and there are 10 of them. She is #9 and her dad is #10.

mini said:
I'm not sure that PH's are limited to 4 units. My friend's studio is in a PH and there are 10 of them. She is #9 and her dad is #10.

Certainly a PH can have more than 4 units, generally they don't, however there are exceptions.

A semipiso is not 1 out of two apartments of the floor. A floor can have more than two apartments and they are still called semipiso,

A semi piso is a apartment that does not share its entrance with another on the same side of the floor and faces the front or back of the building .

Thanks everyone - this really helps. But boy, the PH thing is confusing to think about when renting from afar...

Back