Real mexican food in ba?

bapak

Registered
I've been the restaurant busy my whole life. Been voted "best mexican food" in san diego, ca. Before. Does ba need a "good" real mexican restaurant. Is there a market? I know u have a few, with "california burrito co." coming to the forefront as per your postings. Is cbc busy all the time? Do argentines eat mexican food? Can you get the ingredients there and are they expensive? And then there's there very important fact how can you make any money seeing meals are kinda cheap in ba? You would have to get as much for a burrito as you would a meal! And, by your postings the choice of cuisines in ba does not sound great. All i hear is empanadas, steak, pizza and pasta! Every, and i mean every, country i've ever been to (and i'm older than dirt) kfc has been a huge success. But the "forum" tells me "not in argentina" cause they don't want to eat with their hands!! Some replys say chicken is expensive in argentina. that must be why! i'll bet if you called it "pollo fritto" they'd buy it. But, now that i think about it, a "pollo loco" style chicken bbq'd ala parrilla served with handmade tortillas(flour), beans, rice and salsa picante may be the way to go. Feedback please?

Hello There!

Here's what I think...

bapak said:
Does ba need a "good" real mexican restaurant.

I don't know if BA does, but I do!

bapak said:
Is there a market?

Probably not like in California, but there might be enough estranjeros to "float the boat". Argentinos (with a very few exeptions) don't like spicy food, and almost never eat anything even the least bit "picante".
That's why Argentine Mexican food is like Mexican Baby food! Theh know about Guacamole and Margaritas, but when it comes to salsa forget it!

However, that being said, they seem to like America-sounding restaurants (Kansas, Montana, Tucson, Dallas, Starbucks, MickeyD's) so ya never know. Call it "TexMex" or "SanDiego Slim's" and maybe you'll hit the bulls eye!

bapak said:
Do argentines eat mexican food?

They think they do!

bapak said:
Can you get the ingredients there and are they expensive?

Real hot sauce is rare - I have to smuggle my personal supply from the states. They also don't use (and I haven't found) corn tortillas so you'd probably have to make your own.

bapak said:
And then there's there very important fact how can you make any money seeing meals are kinda cheap in ba? You would have to get as much for a burrito as you would a meal!

Become trendy and you can get whatever you ask. Of course, cheapskates like me will stop coming, but you don't need customers like me if you can get the "swells" to flock in, and besides I'll still be getting my huge discount for kicking off your venture with this incredibly useful post!

bapak said:
And, by your postings the choice of cuisines in ba does not sound great. All i hear is empanadas, steak, pizza and pasta!

That appears true, but isn't really. Even though those are the "staples" of the BsAs diet, there are more and more restaurants who offer much more adventurous cuisine - you just have to sniff them out.

bapak said:
Every, and i mean every, country i've ever been to (and i'm older than dirt) kfc has been a huge success. But the "forum" tells me "not in argentina" cause they don't want to eat with their hands!!

This is true - I had to seriously tease my Argentine friend for eating (or trying to eat) the American-style burger I made him with a knife and fork!

Anyway - it'd be fine with me if you gave it shot, so good luck!
If you want, you can use my house (and kitchen) to host the "Jalepeno Invitational" and see how many folks show up!

Saludos,

David

The Mexican restaurant Freeda Kahlo is always full (granted, it is a cozy little place, but its menu is quite a book to read!!) it's on Ciudad de la Paz y Ibera in Belgrano/Nunez area

Fabrica de Taco real close to plaza Serrano makes great tacos. Mexican chefs too.
Lots of American students eating there all the time...
Fred

I like Taco Box it is the only place I have found with picante salsa and crisp tacos. Soler 5581 Palermo Hollywood and Av. Libertador 3040 Olivos.

criswkh said:
I like Taco Box it is the only place I have found with picante salsa and crisp tacos. Soler 5581 Palermo Hollywood and Av. Libertador 3040 Olivos.

If it's hot and spicy sauces you are looking for I have no complaints about 'Ay! Jalisco no te rajes' at Nueva York 4401 - just on the rail crossing west of Devoto Station (LSM). I couldn't tell you how authentic it is but it's cheap and good and very local for me.

elhombresinnombre said:
If it's hot and spicy sauces you are looking for I have no complaints about 'Ay! Jalisco no te rajes' at Nueva York 4401 - just on the rail crossing west of Devoto Station (LSM). I couldn't tell you how authentic it is but it's cheap and good and very local for me.

Cool, I've see this as I live in Saens Peña and have been thingkning about giving it a try.

It is true that argentines dont like to eat with their hands. And never walking down the street.
And its also true they do not like spices.

there is a pretty big foreign student population here, but many are british and aussie, and have no idea what real mexican food is.

there are plenty of roasted chicken places, where you can get a whole chicken that has been roasted on a spit, to go. So that would not be a novelty.

Real mexican food is pretty nonexistant here- by which I mean the stuff mexicans eat, not the stuff americans eat.

I live, in the states in an area that is quite mexican, and we have excellent taco trucks, with home made masa, sopes, huaraches, ceviche tacos, and lots of authentic cabeza y birria, queso fresco, cilantro, and lots of onions on top. Homemade pico de gallo.
No sour cream, orange cheese, or guacamole with mayonaise.

And I dont think most of the real stuff would go over that well here.
Maybe Pambazo's- they love their papas down here.

This past week I had a burrito the CBC (California Burrito Company). The flour tortilla was awful and there was a noticable absence of cilantro. Having lived in southern California for two years and in Mexico for five, I can say that it was the worst burrito have ever tasted. I can't recommend this joint to anyone. You can find much better Mexican food just about anywhere in the US. I'll try Frida's when I move to Belgrano later this month.

steveinbsas said:
This past week I had a burrito the CBC (California Burrito Company). The flour tortilla was awful and there was a noticable absence of cilantro. Having lived in southern California for two years and in Mexico for five, I can say that it was the worst burrito have ever tasted. I can't recommend this joint to anyone. You can find much better Mexican food just about anywhere in the US. I'll try Frida's when I move to Belgrano later this month.

Steve, I have to agree with you on this one... I've been to the CBC downtown twice and I thought that the burritos were quite Ok.

But last week, I went to the CBC in Palermo Hollywood, and it was really bad. Usually I get the chicken but for some reason I got the beef. The beef was tough as leather and tasteless. The whole thing was tasteless actually. The tortilla itself was soggy and pasty right at the begining (not just towards the end of the burrito).

The one of the owners was there that day. He went around asking people how their meals were. He stopped by my table as I was choking down a pieces of "leather" and asked how everything was. I'm ashamed to say I nodded and smiled at him. I feel guilty that I didn't tell him the truth. I mean without the truth he can't fix it.

Back