real nyc pizza

The main issue would be price and not taste, there is enough people in Buenos Aires that would probably like this kind of pizza or any other food. But if the ingredients have to be imported then the price of the product would be to high and pondering the price-quality relation the porteño will most likely go for the good old regular 10 pesos pizza on the corner than for the slighly better but more expensive new joint.

Thats what i belive happened to Pizza Hut. Is not that people didn´t like it, it was just to expensive for a pizza.

fedecc said:
The main issue would be price and not taste, there is enough people in Buenos Aires that would probably like this kind of pizza or any other food. But if the ingredients have to be imported then the price of the product would be to high and pondering the price-quality relation the porteño will most likely go for the good old regular 10 pesos pizza on the corner than for the slighly better but more expensive new joint.

Thats what i belive happened to Pizza Hut. Is not that people didn´t like it, it was just to expensive for a pizza.

Good point, also if you are importing products remember Argentina has a long history of restricting imports, the idea is that if you keep imports out or make them expensive then local products can compete. In practice I don't think this works. The risk for starting a business relying on imports is the government could make them very expensive or very difficult to bring in and the rules can change almost daily.

Gouchobob said "and the rules can change almost daily." Come on Gouchobob, that's not true, the rules never change so quickly--at most only once every other day. But the real fun is when the rules changes impact prices by large amounts--50 percent or more at a shot.

Mike

Has anyone tried Pizza Piola? They are actually pretty good.
I'm a Brooklyn girl moving to BA next July so finding "real" NY pizza is a must!! My fiance is trying to convince me that BsAs pizza is the best in the world but he has to say that as he's a portaneo. :eek:)

NYKate said:
Has anyone tried Pizza Piola? They are actually pretty good.
I'm a Brooklyn girl moving to BA next July so finding "real" NY pizza is a must!! My fiance is trying to convince me that BsAs pizza is the best in the world but he has to say that as he's a portaneo. :eek:)

has he ever eaten a pizza without using a knife and fork??? real pizza you can use your hands, pizza here you need a knife, fork, and about 20-30 "napkins" to sop up the grease.

arty said:
has he ever eaten a pizza without using a knife and fork??? real pizza you can use your hands, pizza here you need a knife, fork, and about 20-30 "napkins" to sop up the grease.

Sure! He lived here for 4.5 years. I am all for NY pizza (i'm a native NY'er)and he is all about Argentine pizza. We have agreed to disagree. One thing that I did find that i liked about the whole BsAs pizza experience was the faina. Also, I don't mind the provolone pizza so much but I wouldn't call it NY pizza, it's Argentine pizza period.;)

arty said:
pizza here you need a knife, fork, and about 20-30 "napkins" to sop up the grease.
I love that you use quotation marks for "napkins". :D

What some people call "napkins", we called "wax paper" when I was growing up.

I commented on them my first few days in this country and my Spanish tutor told me "Yes, we hate them. I don't know why they have them." I love it! It is this kind of stuff that keeps me laughing all day. Paper products in this country are an absolute JOKE!

In my apartment I actually have paper towel rolls that my parents sent me from the States, but I keep them in my room so that my roommates don't use them. They are only for special occasions. :p

I saw a special on the history of Pizza on PBS one time and it originates from Africa (Egypt), where it was more like a deep dish bread with herbs and olive oil on top. (No sauce, no cheese) If we were talking about trying to find a good NY Pizza back then, we certainly couldn't complain about the type of cheese and we would be complaining that the papyrus napkins are only good for writing on.

Ok, I'm going to chime in.

I'm a local, so, I really like the mozarella taste (here), specially the one from La Farola de Olivos.

I've been to NYC 6 times and have lived in the US for almost 8 years (Houston and Chicago) and frankly, I didn't like how pizza tastes there.

I understand that you guys (and I) are used to favor the flavor we grew up with.

So now, the million dollar question: what's so special about NYC pizza cheese? Is it mozarella? What kind of cheese is it?

Thank you.

kikedeolivos said:
Ok, I'm going to chime in.

I'm a local, so, I really like the mozarella taste (here), specially the one from La Farola de Olivos.

I've been to NYC 6 times and have lived in the US for almost 8 years (Houston and Chicago) and frankly, I didn't like how pizza tastes there.

I understand that you guys (and I) are used to favor the flavor we grew up with.

So now, the million dollar question: what's so special about NYC pizza cheese? Is it mozarella? What kind of cheese is it?

Thank you.

It's not the cheese, it's the water (waddah) that is used for the dough.

Places in the USA have tried to make NYC pizza in other location using the same stuff, but if you don't have the same water, you won't have the same flavor.

Some people do use NYC water, shows you just how much people like their pizza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza

Back