Really hard to make friends

pompeygazza

Registered
Was wandering around San Telmo today alone thinking how nice it would be to be with other people. Loads of people post on here that they want to meet people, and I've done that too. A few people have responded but nothing ever comes to anything. Is anybody else experiencing the same thing? Is it really that hard to meet people? Is it that there's a lot of mistrust out there? Just for the record, I want to explain my motivation for wanting to meet people. First of all, here are a few things I DON'T want to do:

1. Sell people life insurance.
2. Show thousands of pics of my last holiday.
3. Have a one-night stand.
4. Steal wallets or purses.
5. Sell drugs.
6. Convert people to scientology.
7. Discuss Karl Marx's communist manifesto.
8. Describe my physical ailments (even though they ARE fascinating ;-)
9. Steal somebody's wife or girlfriend.

And here's the very short list of what I DO want to to:

1. Walk
2. Chat
3. Drink coffee / beer

Anyone up for a trip out next weekend?

Hello Pompeygazza
There used to be here some events on Fridays to go together to a Pub someone was always starting a thread on Thursdays to remind people about the Fridays. I went once and there was people of all ages it was a nice time we all spent. I don`t know your age but my suggestion is to start a thread to do the same or something different easy for people to go and have fun....

Maybe I can refloat an old idea.
Years ago there used to be an EXPAT Club (kind of) in San Telmo.
It was located in Estados Unidos St(sic) corner to Peru, I think. It was a big old house with books, magazines, a cyber cafe, etc; where people from many countries used to congregate. It closed later on.
Maybe we could all get together and pitch money (stocks?) to buy an old house, remodel it, etc, and charge something to each member.
If a member leaves he could sell his share to a new member,etc, no free ride for anybody. This way people will have a fixed place to chat, play games,etc, the kids could play, make friends, etc. Non members would just pay an small entrance fee for a day only. It could be in the country too, the Tigre maybe.
Pls comment on this idea.

I started sponsoring expat lunches about four years ago. There was a very good tenador libre around the corner from where I lived in Recoleta. At the time the cost per person was about 20 pesos per person (plus drinks) and it was easy to attract about 30 expats for the gatherings.

The last expat lunch I sponsored was on May 29, 2010 (in Belgrano) and the price was 43 pesos per person (plus drinks). Fortunately, there was also free champagne because it was also my birthday (no one knew this in advance but everyone enjoyed the champagne).

I know its more expensive now (almost double), but for expats wanting to connect with others as well as eat all they want, perhaps the price won't be a serious issue. I do remember a few groans as the price doubled over the two years I sponsored the lunches.

Even though I no longer live in CF, I made friends with several expats at the lunches I sponsored and remain in contact with them now. I urge you to initiate a similar event and wish you good luck. If its your birthday your lunch is free.

HenryNisental said:
Maybe we could all get together and pitch money (stocks?) to buy an old house, remodel it, etc,

Or to take a smaller step in the same direction, may be some charming person could volunteer to organize events? Similar to Steve's lunches?

From my experience...their is a reluctance to allow "outsiders" in... once a member of the "in" crowd..has found trust in you... It takes a little time.. be patient and surely you will find new friends. Possibly friends for life.

Sorry if I'm butting in, but Steveinbsas, may I know the name of te tenedor libre you mentioned? I will be in BsAs for two days... one of which is my birthday. I have been to BsAs before and have always wanted to try one. And maybe this is a time that the stars could align and I could have a great experience for... gulp... free?

Would it be too much to ask if you could send me a message with the name of this place?

I've been following this forum for months and have found the discussions fascinating. As I've said, I've visited before (3 yrs. ago) and it seems like things are certainly more interesting these days. Bit worried about my visit (in May), with the increased cost of things and the petty crime. I loved my visit and I hope to have a good birthday visit next month.

Thanks!

In Montevideo there is a man who started a Sunday lunch at 1 every Sunday and was always there without fail. I have thought of that myself, it was such a good idea and means so much to newcomers. As mentioned here, there were all ages. You didn't have to be a dancer or a drinker, and you didn't have to be out coming home at midnight.

We had a lot of Uruguayans who, I think, wanted to practice english but could not afford the full meal (I knew some American families with the same problem) but were free to sit at the table (which grew to be HUGE) and drink coffee. And they contributed a lot. We always had a set apart room provided. There were no "speeches" or anything, people just got together and got acquainted. But newcomers could find out a lot from people who had been there longer. And solid friendships were made. I value my friends from that group and am still in touch though I am no longer there.

I think that man in Uruguay has served his community in a very special and important way. That group just celebrated its fifth birthday.

Are you a fan of Portsmouth and Paul Gascoigne?

pompeygazza said:
Was wandering around San Telmo today alone thinking how nice it would be to be with other people. Loads of people post on here that they want to meet people, and I've done that too. A few people have responded but nothing ever comes to anything. Is anybody else experiencing the same thing? Is it really that hard to meet people? Is it that there's a lot of mistrust out there? Just for the record, I want to explain my motivation for wanting to meet people. First of all, here are a few things I DON'T want to do:

1. Sell people life insurance.
2. Show thousands of pics of my last holiday.
3. Have a one-night stand.
4. Steal wallets or purses.
5. Sell drugs.
6. Convert people to scientology.
7. Discuss Karl Marx's communist manifesto.
8. Describe my physical ailments (even though they ARE fascinating ;-)
9. Steal somebody's wife or girlfriend.

And here's the very short list of what I DO want to to:

1. Walk
2. Chat
3. Drink coffee / beer

Anyone up for a trip out next weekend?

Back