receiving your DNI at your home address by post

Gilani

Registered
Dear All,

we all know that the DNI arrives by post to ones address as per certificate of domicilio etc.

My question is that is one supposed to be "AT HOME WHEN THE DNI ARRIVES BY MAIL??"

I mean, lets suppose my application is approved by migraciones and I decide to travel outside the country and request my landlord to receive the package/mail for me. Will this work?

Does the postman come looking for you? And you must sign receipt personally.

What happens if postman sends back your DNI to migraciones. And you come back to the country after 3-4 months?

Please advise possibilities.

Many thanks!

You should be at home to receive, however I think if you leave your temporary one with someone at home to receive it, they should be able to sign for it for you. They just want to be able to match the name, photo, and number to your temporary one, and I seem to remember they take the temporary one with them when they go. It's not a normal postman that delivers, it's a govt employee.

You'll have to call migraciones and see if they can hold onto it for you for 3-4 mos. Remember though that your transitorio is valid for 90 days only, so I don't know if that might cause complications when you come back into the country (ie you may have to pay your entry fee like a tourist again).

However, when I applied for mine my DNI showed up in about 3 weeks or so, so if you're lucky it will be here before you even leave...

Syngirl,

Thanks!

I had this doubt for a VERY VERY VERY long time. Thanks for clearing it.

What happens if I am in the country and in the city ( BA) but not at home when the Govt employee arrives?

Any clues? That would be a disaster!

When I received mine, I had to physically sign for it. I also had to give the postman the receipt showing I had paid for it in migraciones. I was not home the first time, but received a notice that I needed to call to coordinate the 2nd delivery. They said that they usually attempt to deliver it 3 times, and if you aren't home, they send it back to migraciones where you pick it up. I'm assuming it would just stay there.

I had to show the papers that you got from the office. maybe you can give them to the encargado?

Anyone can receive the DNI as long as they have the receipt you were given in migraciones.

pauper said:
Anyone can receive the DNI as long as they have the receipt you were given in migraciones.

They gave me a timeframe of a week that is was supposed to be delivered. That being said I was not there when they "tried" to deliver my DNI. They did not leave any notifications that they attempted to deliver my DNI. My wife called and found out that it was at the local government office and we went to pick it up. We went at the end of the day because in the mornings this particular one was very busy.

Hope this helps.

JHB1216 said:
They gave me a timeframe of a week that is was supposed to be delivered. That being said I was not there when they "tried" to deliver my DNI. They did not leave any notifications that they attempted to deliver my DNI. My wife called and found out that it was at the local government office and we went to pick it up. We went at the end of the day because in the mornings this particular one was very busy.

Hope this helps.

guys, can you kindly tell me "step by step" procedure to ensure my DNI is NOT lost in mail.

I mean, I don't want to sound dumb but would appreciate what precautions to take. Obviously it would be impossible to stay in the apartment 24/7 for 1-2 months awaiting the damn DNI! :)

Mine might be the anomaly, but when it was mailed to our apartment I was away and my partner received it and didn't have to show any paperwork. Go figure!

Back