recent customs experiences?

So I guess being a mad Aussie I should do okay when I hit ezeiza in two weeks from now ? :)

I just passed through customs at EZE last week and had no problems at all. I just plopped my bags through the scanner y listo. The official didn't even take my declaration form!

I don't think it made much of a difference, but I did make sure to remove price tags and to not travel with any original packaging.

Yes, customs in Ezeiza is mainly looking for quantity of electronics indicating resale etc. But if you look Argentine or have an Argentine passport they are much more likely to have you open your bags. Everyone has to put their bags on the belt for Xray. This has been my experience recently.

Sleuth said:
I ordered from Amazon, and repacked the original box with packing peanuts and the air packs that Amazon uses for other packages. Checked it in at JFK and paid extra for oversize and overweight.

In EZE, no problems at all. Ran it through the xray, gave them my paperwork for the duty, paid the bill at the window, and walked out. It was very simple.

Dave, were you worried about it getting stolen in EZE? I am considering bringing a TV with me next month and am a bit worried about it not showing up at baggage claim....

Montrose said:
Dave, were you worried about it getting stolen in EZE? I am considering bringing a TV with me next month and am a bit worried about it not showing up at baggage claim....

I have heard about things being stolen, but I think its sheer size would make it much more difficult. My biggest concern was that it would break, so I went crazy with repacking it. Taos at the Argentine Post has brought 2 TVs in with no issues as well...

Thanks. I happened to also speak to someone today who just brought in two TVs. His main concern was breakage as well. I guess I'll have to bubblewrap the shit out of it!

Montrose said:
Thanks. I happened to also speak to someone today who just brought in two TVs. His main concern was breakage as well. I guess I'll have to bubblewrap the shit out of it!

Bubblewrap, packing peanuts and air bags are what I used!

I went through EZE Customs, last Thursday, AM, arriving from Miami, EEUU. My netbook had been giving me a lot a trouble on this trip. so I bought another one. One was in my carry on and the other in my checked bag. I was stopped and asked what was in the checked bag. I showed the woman, she smiled and I had no problem..
My experience leaving EZE, a few weeks ago, was the smoothest ever. I wasn't asked any pre-checkin questions; who packed you bags? etc. Great leaving, great arriving. Everyone was really friendly. Wierd.

i just arrived last week. Came with macbook pro and a netbook. I declare the netbook, because it is a gift. The macbook it is mine to come and go. The girl in front of me have a backpack, the official asked her to put the bag on the belt, and she said, but I have a laptop, it is safe. and then the guy asked her, did you purchase it abroad, and she said yes, and also had another laptop in another bag. They stop the belt and took her for questioning. I think she made the mistake of trying not to put the backpack in the xray and she gave no choice to the official to questioned further. I usually if questioning tell I have a laptop and that is my working tool and I don't reside in Argentina and my equipment goes back with me on departure. I been asked for green card or visa stamps proving I live or have residence abroad. I would recommend to be polite and even if you are bringing equipment to sell in Argentina, make the point is yours. For large items as tvs or expensive stuff, definitely fill the custom forms and pay the tax, as other members noted, you will still save money compared with the same item in Argentina, and you will avoid being charge of smuggler offenses, and that could be a mayor headache.

Does anyone know if aduana opens packages shipped via Fedex? What's the safest way to have a camera lense shipped here from Japan. I was told by some sources to ship it USPS if it comes from the U.S. that way customs officials are less likely to open it rather than if it's shipped by Fedex, but my concern is that the lense will get stolen in aduana. I'm wondering how much taxes I would have to pay for a $300 dollars lense. Any ideas?

Back