recent customs experiences?

nlaruccia said:
Does anyone know if aduana opens packages shipped via Fedex? What's the safest way to have a camera lense shipped here from Japan. I was told by some sources to ship it USPS if it comes from the U.S. that way customs officials are less likely to open it rather than if it's shipped by Fedex, but my concern is that the lense will get stolen in aduana. I'm wondering how much taxes I would have to pay for a $300 dollars lense. Any ideas?

Fedex are among the worst (they'll charge you to the last dime). Expect to pay 50% of the value+shipping fees and additional commissions.

So for a 300 US$ camera, expect to pay at least 200 US$ in taxes.

nlaruccia said:
Does anyone know if aduana opens packages shipped via Fedex? What's the safest way to have a camera lense shipped here from Japan. I was told by some sources to ship it USPS if it comes from the U.S. that way customs officials are less likely to open it rather than if it's shipped by Fedex, but my concern is that the lense will get stolen in aduana. I'm wondering how much taxes I would have to pay for a $300 dollars lense. Any ideas?

Safest bet is to ship it with a private forwarder like Fedex and DHL as it's less likely to get stolen. Although if you are unsuccessful you will have to go to the airport + pay the new fee to get the paperwork (60 dollars).

If you can get it into an envelope it would be best. Then you probably don't need to label it at all. If you can't, then label as books or documents and put the value really low like 10 dollars.

Also, you need to have a valid Visa to be able to get a package that is held by customs.

French jurist said:
Fedex are among the worst (they'll charge you to the last dime). Expect to pay 50% of the value+shipping fees and additional commissions.

They all do that. It's not just Fedex. Most likely due to added custom costs for them that they then pass on to their customers.

Back