Recently Married, How Do I Get Permanent Residency?

Azagarth

Registered
So I got married this month at the beginning of July. Previously I had a temporary visa here, but it expired over a year ago, so I am currently on a Tuorist visa.

From my understanding by law i can now apply for permanent residency. However me and my wife are super confused on where to go, and what we need to do. I leave the country in 3 weeks for the states again, and so time is a big issue. We wanted to get my residency done ASAP so to have better chance of her immigrant visa to the USA getting expedited, plus the ability to come back to Argentina with no problems and work in white. We have tried calling I migrations and they won't tell us anything, they give us a number that never answers. Quite frustrating for sure.

I am unsure of what papers I'd need to turn in. I assume it's the same ones from when I did the temporary visa. Would they really need me to turn in all of those again? Or would me telling them and showing them my expired dni be enough?

Help please!!!

Copied from another thread.
2) As the spouse of an Argentine citizen, you are entitled to permanent residency here, no questions asked. The only issue is the hassle getting the paperwork together. You will need:
§ You will need:
[indent=1.25]o your birth certificate (assuming you were born in the US)[/indent]
[indent=1.25]o a background check from the FBI, and the police of any other country where you spent time (6 months or over?)[/indent]
[indent=1.25]o and your marriage certificate.[/indent]
§ All of the above must bear an apostille stamp (or if from a country like Canada with no apostille, must to check with local Arg. consulate re requirements to legalize the documents).​
§ All of the above documents - plus your passport - must be translated to Spanish by a traductor publico, and the translation must be legalized by the Colegio de Traductores Publicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires.​
§ Photocopies of everything, including all pages of your passport (blank ones as well).​
§ Some amount (3?) of photos, don't remember measurements now.​
All of that is taken to the immigration office in Retiro, you are given a paper granting provisional residency on the spot, and your DNI comes in the mail a short while later.

Thank you!

Seeing as I had to do all that already when I did my temp visa do you think they will require it all again?

How does one get an apostile FBI record and birth certificate living aboard?

I've been here in Argentina for a few years now, so will I need a report from the police here too? It's been for the last 6 months just as a tourist making colonia runs....

Is there a way to request the FBI report here in Argentina with an apostille? I'm traveling to Mexico for the next 6 months and won't be back to Argentina for at least a year, but I have to get my residency done before that to be able to expedite my visa paperwork for my wife ( have to be resident here). I leave in 2 weeks so I'm already kind of walking on coals here.... Any help would be appreciated.

Also is the FBI background check the same as the letter of good conduct?

Is there a way to request the FBI report here in Argentina with an apostille? I'm traveling to Mexico for the next 6 months and won't be back to Argentina for at least a year, but I have to get my residency done before that to be able to expedite my visa paperwork for my wife ( have to be resident here). I leave in 2 weeks so I'm already kind of walking on coals here.... Any help would be appreciated.

Also is the FBI background check the same as the letter of good conduct?

This is where it gets fun. I had to go through this for temporary residency recently.

You have to go to the American embassy to request fingerprint forms (they will give them to you right at the gate without even entering the building). Then go to a local police station and request fingerprints. Make 2 sets just to be safe.

Then you can mail an application to the FBI with the fingerprint forms. I used an expediting service that cost US$50 and they got the background check in about a week from start to finish. If you go directly to FBI it will take a few weeks. It needs to be a national FBI background check, not any sort of state or local report. this website has more information, as well as links to the expediting services.

Then you need to send the report to be apostillized. There are also expediting services that do this. I dont have the name handy but you can do a web search for this. If you have someone in the US that can help coordinate this, it will make it a lot easier. I had everything sent to my parents, they sent the report to be apostillized, and then when everything was done, it was mailed back to me in BA.

Then, you need to take both of those docs to an approved translator here in Argentina before you can take them to migraciones. Hope that helps, and be patient...it's not a fun or extremely speedy process!

Would it be a far stretched dream to have it here all done before the 24th of this month? How long did it take you?

Would it be a far stretched dream to have it here all done before the 24th of this month? How long did it take you?

Yes, unfortunately. I'd say the background check alone will be 2-3 weeks when all is said and done, plus any other docs you need. I've been struggling with this since February, but supposedly I'm just one little document away from my DNI.

Edit: I don't think I've ever heard of anything here being resolved in 2 weeks :p

Back