recieving package - with huge aduanas fee

I had packages sent to me three times while I was in BA. Each time, they had not bothered to see what was inside the boxes. Perhaps that was because they were sent separately in smaller boxes and they had less reason to suspect something valuable being in a smaller box, I don't really know though.

Each time they asked us what was in the packages and we said gifts the first time (they were, after all, Christmas gifts) and they took our word for it and didn't make us pay a penny. Each time we went after that, we just told them that we were getting gifts and they sent us on through.

We probably just got lucky though. It did help that my wife was pregnant the second time we went.

well just ordered a package from iherb and it got stuck with DHL in Eze.

We now have to pay $100 dollars to DHL for the privilege of travelling all the way to the fucking airport to pick up our package where we will also have to pay the aduanas import tax.

Apparently the DHL fee also includes local tax but not the aduanas tax....

Even after all this shit it will still be cheaper than paying for the local vitamins.

On a funnier yet sad note, walking past the indec, They have a huge sign inside saying Clarin Miente!
Indec.... The National Statistics and Censuses Institute has a sign.... in their doorway saying....
proudly declaring Clarin Miente!

This country is fucked for a long long time, when every civil servant institution is staffed with complete fucking morons.

well just ordered a package from iherb and it got stuck with DHL in Eze.

We now have to pay $100 dollars to DHL for the privilege of travelling all the way to the fucking airport to pick up our package where we will also have to pay the aduanas import tax.

Apparently the DHL fee also includes local tax but not the aduanas tax....

Even after all this shit it will still be cheaper than paying for the local vitamins.

On a funnier yet sad note, walking past the indec, They have a huge sign inside saying Clarin Miente!
Indec.... The National Statistics and Censuses Institute has a sign.... in their doorway saying....
proudly declaring Clarin Miente!

This country is fucked for a long long time, when every civil servant institution is staffed with complete fucking morons.

I would volunteer for multiple anesthesia-free root canals before I would ever go to EZE aduanas to pick up another package!

Had a friend send me a small jawbone speaker, retail $120. It's about 6" x 2" x 2".
He sent via FedEX and it costs about $140 to send (expensed to his work, of course).
When it arrived, I had to pay an additional $200 pesos when delivered to my building.
It took about 2 weeks to get here, although I think it was advertised as next day delivery.

My parents sent me a new camera via USPS. They paid about $100 shipping, although it's much bigger and heavier than the first box.
3 weeks later, I received the notice to go to Correo Int'l because it weighs over 2 kg, I believe.
Went yesterday, about 2.5 hours of total wait time, picked up package, no questions or payments.

Moral of the story- I believe it's cheaper and comparable time to send via USPS than FedEx.

Had a friend send me a small jawbone speaker, retail $120. It's about 6" x 2" x 2".
He sent via FedEX and it costs about $140 to send (expensed to his work, of course).
When it arrived, I had to pay an additional $200 pesos when delivered to my building.
It took about 2 weeks to get here, although I think it was advertised as next day delivery.

My parents sent me a new camera via USPS. They paid about $100 shipping, although it's much bigger and heavier than the first box.
3 weeks later, I received the notice to go to Correo Int'l because it weighs over 2 kg, I believe.
Went yesterday, about 2.5 hours of total wait time, picked up package, no questions or payments.

Moral of the story- I believe it's cheaper and comparable time to send via USPS than FedEx.

yeah also it seems FedEx will bring it to your door and you have to pay the fee's there but DHL will leave it at Eze and charge you for the privilege of going to pick it up!

Correo Argentina have also stolen a few packages from me that were not "registered" I know they left their country of origin but somehow they vanish in Argentina.

An update- I was the OP. went to retiro and got the package for free after speaking with a woman in the back room, explaining that it was just used clothing. Always ship USPS to avoid EZE.

So an update.

After paying 470 pesos to DHL with them saying, no problem off you go to Eze and pick up your stuff from the airport.

We get there and the Afip lady kindly tells us to fuck off as we don't have any documents from the department of health and without them we aint getting our stuff.

Rather than spend weeks at the department of health we have just rejected the deliver from DHL.

Unfortunately after we did this the DHL man told us nothing will happen for 60 days anyway as thats how long it has to sit in the Afip offices meaning the retailer will probably also reject it and the items will go to some Afip/DHL persons house for free...

Going to go after DHL for sending us on a wild goose chase and ripping us off for the privilege!

The DHL guy in Eze told us that Afip never let vitamins through and we should have been told in the offices.

I've had only a few experiences with receiving packages in 14 years here, mainly because I tell family and friends not to send anything.

A few years ago my sister sent me a hand-made item, and it never arrived.

In 2006, my son sent a new notebook by Federal Express. It arrived at Ezeiza from California faster than the paperwork for pickup. In the interim I tried to stop shipment when I learned that Aduana would charge a bundle. Federal Express claimed there would be no problem, but what do they know about Aduana. Shipping was $50. I had to go to Aduana at Ezeiza. By then I owed three days storage at 25usd per day. Aduana wanted 1,000 USD for duty. A gift from my son had a price. I refused to pay and was told it would be sold at auction. TIME 2 hours. TAXI 80 pesos. Lesson: do not use FedEx or expect to get electronics.

In July 2012, my son sent Brita water filters (value $40) by USPS for $60usd. Arrived in 10 days. I received a notice to pick up at the local post office in San Cristobal. In and out in ten minutes. No charge, no problem. Encouraging for another try.

This month he sent a USPS priority package (20lb limit with $80 content value) for $60usd that arrived in ten days. The postman gave me a notice this time for pickup at Aduana Retiro. I went on a Friday when there was no wait, but I didn't bring my original ID. I went on Monday morning when there was a long line. The wait was at least an hour. You sign the back of the notice, adding address and ID No. which is verified. Then you get a slip of paper with a number at the bottom. Go to the waiting room and listen for your number to be announced in rapid succession with others as packages are retrieved. When your number is announced, enter through the turnstyle and hand the paper to personnel who locate your package. At the exit you sign again for receipt and are done. Aduana charges for storage after 4 days-- 2 pesos per day. I did not have to pay duty on the box.

Clothes and sneakers are two of the most protected items, so, the best you can do is that they don t mail them anymore.
Regards

I know this is not exactly related to this thread but it is something similar. I am returning to Buenos Aires for a wedding and I have the wedding present. It is a 13" bowl. I am taking it as my hand luggage. Will there be any issues upon arrival? I'm coming in as a tourist.

Back