recieving package - with huge aduanas fee

It's amazing here how clothes and sneakers and electronics get rejected, but the drugs are certainly getting through! Nice going Argentina!

My mother foolishly sent a package of Xmas gifts in November against my advice. I don't think I'll be seeing last year's rudolph and santa socks and sweaters matching outfit.

I know this is not exactly related to this thread but it is something similar. I am returning to Buenos Aires for a wedding and I have the wedding present. It is a 13" bowl. I am taking it as my hand luggage. Will there be any issues upon arrival? I'm coming in as a tourist.

As long as it's a regular bowl, you should be fine. ;) They tend to leave tourists alone in EZE for the most part and there's nothing wrong with carrying ceramics or glass.

It's a Waterford Crystal bowl. Hopefully it will be alright!

You should be fine, as they are mainly after residents and not tourists. After many years of coming and going, bringing stuff on every trip, I've only been stopped and questioned a couple of times. What mainly gets flagged on their scanners are electronics (e.g., more than 1 laptop per traveler, multiple cell phones, etc.), and suitcases full of boxed up items (as in for re-sale purposes).

If you want to be bit safer, don't leave the bowl in its original box. Wrap it with clothes, etc. so it does not break and put it in a hand bag. Then break down the box and pack it separately (and hidden) so you can re-assemble it later. Also, keep the receipt with you and not with the item. If they flag you for any reason, communicate in English only, pretend you don't understand, and they will likely let you go. If they don't; and they decide the item is for gift purposes and valued over USD $300 they may try charge you a tariff on it, so having the receipt might come in handy. But never offer the receipt to them unless you can not talk yourself out of paying the tariff, and they are trying to tax the item on a value that is more than that what's printed on the receipt. Good luck!

Thanks for that. It's actually worth US$400, a crystal vase. I'll act the dumb tourist if they flag me

Your lucky. Once I had multivitamins shipped to me and they hot held up in Ezeiza. Not only did they charge me huge fee but they made me get a medical presriptiom from my doctor in BA stating I needed that particlar brand of vitamins and I had to travel on the famous #86 bus to Ezeiza three times.

Back