Recoleta . Zona Liberada - Entraderas

With all due respect, many of us complain about the crime because we live here. And it impacts our daily lives. I hardly think it's unreasonable that there are serious concerns about it.

Maybe you could tell me how you would feel to discover stolen cars burning outside of your property - on a regular basis? And know that the police do nothing about it despite calling. Ridiculous for me to be concerned that my m-i-l entire building was robbed in centro. Stupid of me to worry about how safe it is or isn't around here when most of my neighbors have suffered break-ins. Crazy that I worry when the majority of my friends/family have been victims of a mugging or robbery. How silly of me to think it's a problem.

Yes, we whiny expats - so unreasonable. Tell me - what do your porteño/correntino/salteno/etc friends talk about? Do you hear them discussing crime:rolleyes:

ETA - And where has anyone said Buenos Aires is the most dangerous city on earth ??? I must have missed that. What I do read and see many people saying is that they personally feel/have experienced an increase in crime and feeling of insecurity. And that there seems to be no police response to this.

LOL. A self-appointed authority in the subject (dedicated to this thread almost exclusively) and a living legend, in his own mind.

:confused:

citygirl said:
Yes, we whiny expats - so unreasonable. Tell me - what do your porteño/correntino/salteno/etc friends talk about? Do you hear them discussing crime:rolleyes:

Do you really want to know? Among other things (like music, literature, etc.) they discuss inflation, then ask me point blank why I continue to live here when I obviously have the ability to live somewhere else.

My point was many of the same things that expats are talking about on here - rise in crime, inflation, worrying about currency restrictions, etc are the same things that Argentines are talking about (along with art or music or whatever hobby/passion you share). The protests happening in the streets are over the same things people are discussing here - crime, insecurity, inflation, etc.

We're not any different than anyone born here. In fact, I'd say that many expats are sensitive to the fact that we are expats and try to point out good things about Argentina as well which the locals don't do.

Citygirl,

And tell it well you do...lol. More like 2-4 months stints at a time. Much more involved than just quick drives from hotels to offices and back. Including forays into many places that BA residents don't even want to go. Real in depth cross-section of true BA life. You know, when I lived in Chicago full-time, you follow your routine. Maybe visit a handful of places regularly. Sort of like that old adage about you never visit the tourist sites of the place you live. I'd bet I've been in more BA neighborhoods and backstreets than you. Point is...if I were discussing perceptions, you'd have a point. I am not. Others are discussing perception. I am discussing empirically available facts and data. That way, folks don't spend a great deal of senseless time debating who's perspective is "better". Reference back to your last post...reference this one from me...see my point?

nicoenarg,

I truly don't get what you think is the point. The places you cited do have a reason to believe they are safe...the USA does not. That was my exact point. It is sad that anyone living in the USA would imagine their daily existence to be as safe as Singapore or Switzerland. You make my point for me. My point was based on empirically available data. Based on that, a resident of Singapore saying, "I feel safe about crime" would be correct...relatively speaking. A resident of the USA would not. Hence the comment you ascribed to me so accurately. As for the Islamic states, your inference is what I wanted you to infer. Some would describe their law-enforcment practices as "barbaric", so would you want those laws in place to feel safer in BA? Is there a price to be paid for safety...often in terms of liberty? Excellent quote by Benjamin Franklin referencing both. One which USA residents should heed today. You seem confused about your own argument. But so long as you make it in a way to support mine...I am good with that.

Iznogud said:
LOL. A self-appointed authority in the subject (dedicated to this thread almost exclusively) and a living legend, in his own mind.

:confused:
Iznogud,

Come on now...the ego stroke was good...but not a "legend" in my own mind...maybe just an interesting footnote. Pure humility prevents me from anything further. However, good observation on my limited posting to other threads. Two things to consider: 1) I tend to lurk, more than post...unless something truly erroneous is said (something to think about) and 2) Beware what you wish for, because I see more numerous posts possibly on the horizon, in various threads.

earlyretirement said:
Ok...thanks for establishing that you've never lived in Buenos Aires. Now your posts make more sense.
earlyretirement,

Ok...now that was just a funny and witty comeback. Nothing else to say...lol.

Back