Recoleta . Zona Liberada - Entraderas

Those population figures are way off. The 15 million is more than METRO BA has and the Chicago figure is only for the city, not METRO Chicago. Also as has been pointed out here, there isn't anywhere as much crime in the affluent parts of Chicago as there is in BA. Most is inner-city, like going to LA MATANZA. It's ridiculous to say that walking around Michigan Avenue is as or more dangerous as it is in Recoleta/Barrio Norte. You can cite all the questionable figures you want to make your point but the reality of high crime everywhere in BA - break ins, armed robbery, pickpocketing, Old West style holdups in restaurants etc just doesn't apply to high rent districts in Chicago the way it does in BA.

What were the streets for the 5 block radius. Just curious as to what area was hit....

DavieW said:
I haven't posted here for over a year because this place became infested with non-expat arseholes who came here just to have a go at the US or Europe. I started posting again because it seemed like it had been purged.

Looks like some must have slipped through the net....

Man, you got me spot on, what magical powers of reasoning you have.

gsi16386 said:
DUDE...did you live off OBT in the hood?? And are your friends all hoodrats, gangstas, and hookers? Because I'll tell you this much, I have family that lives in Orlando and never have I seen that kind of violence.

If you personally are seeing that level of violence in the States on a weekly basis, you and your friends roll with a rough crowd and constantly putting yourselves in a position to experience such violence.

I said I lived 10 minutes away from UCF, the university I was attending , which would make it almost impossible to live off OBT in the hood. So, you have family that lives in Orlando, or you have lived in Orlando? Be more specific in regards to your personal experience living in Orlando. What places did you frequent? Did you go to parties, bars, clubs? How often did you go? And I´m talking about everything off Alafaya and University, everything in Longwood, and even Winterpark has its places. Altamonte is just a tossed salad full of wannabe thugs and puerto ricans who work out too much.

WOW I've been in Orlando twice and never ever experienced or witnessed anything like this. I even managed to get myself lost in Orlando at night and a random guy that looked like he has been on the street for 3 days in a row came in and gave directions.
Okay, so you´ve been to Orlando twice? You NEVER experienced or witnessed anything like this in the TWO TIMES you visited Orlando? This is completely baffling to me, as the frequency of your visits to Orlando indicates that you should be an expert, and know everything there is to know!! Man, I should grop up and learn more about life, since I am obviously just a stupid, ignorant child.

I wonder what you guys would say to me if I said ¨wow! Ive been to BsAs 3 times (total of 3 weeks) and NEVER saw anything like what you guys are talking about! You must be smoking crack, all you ridiculous expats and your stories!!¨

cbonanni said:
Hard to NOT report murder..........Which is what I was referring to in comparing Chicago to Argentina. I never said crime is not a problem in Argentina. Also agree victims report less here. The media seems to report a lot of crime.

By the way , I am awake.

And please do not cap your letters as if you are yelling at me.

I apologize for "yelling." I just think these arguments are pointless. As others have already mentioned, Chicago murders can be pinpointed to certain neighborhoods/districts. I'm not saying that makes the murders ok, but I'm saying that I would know which neighorhoods NOT to wander into in Chicago whereas here, those commiting the murders in BsAs are wandering into others' neighborhoods...all over the city.

I don't personally care WHAT the murder/crime rate is anywhere else. Why? Because I don't live there. I live here. And I'd be really interested to hear if anyone feels that Buenos Aires is getting safer these days. And if so - please tell me where you live.

braytrain said:
You must be smoking crack, all you ridiculous expats and your stories!!¨

Meh... I didn't say I was an expert, just that I was surprised as the times I've been there I never saw anything like that. I never called you names either or suggested you should be under the influence of something.

You are talking about violence and yet happily call us ridiculous and suggest we are on crack for not sharing your point of view. Chill out... shees

citygirl said:
I don't personally care WHAT the murder/crime rate is anywhere else. Why? Because I don't live there. I live here. And I'd be really interested to hear if anyone feels that Buenos Aires is getting safer these days. And if so - please tell me where you live.

Yes. Exactly.

citygirl said:

Amen, heard about the crime rate in Katmandu?..:)

Perhaps the more appropriate question is "do you feel safer or less safe in BA than you did 1-2 years ago?" or "Do you feel safer in BA than whatever other city you want to compare?" I think that the issue (statistics aside) is that many people that live here now have the sensation/feeling/perception that it is less safe in BA than one or two years ago. This may be because the media is reporting more crime, people are talking more about crime, and/or crime has increased, doesn't really matter, if you feel less safe, you feel less safe, may or may not be justified. I personally feel it is a little misleading to simply compare crime statistics of BA with those of another city, because as has been pointed out, in many cases crime in other cities is concentrated in particular areas, and is not prevalent city wide as it seems to be here.

Statistics can be useful in many cases and help answerer several questions, but they do not always change/influence perceptions. I remember one day in the late 1980's sitting on a Continental Airlines plane ready to take off at the Stapleton (Denver, CO) airport. It was snowing like crazy and on the second trip back into the cabin to look at the wings, the Captain sort of scratched his head and decided to return to the gate area for another de-icing. This was 24 hours after a Continental Airlines plane had crashed on take off at Stapleton because the crew failed to request a second de-icing. The passengers were clearly getting edgy and very nervous. I remember I said to my seat mate "hey, statistically we couldn't be much safer, same airline, same airport, 24 hours later, no way!" Do you think this made us feel any safer, nope, but a couple double gin & tonics did. So, in the same vain as Citygirl, I don't care what the stats say, I think a lot of people feel it is less safe in BA today than a couple years ago.

citygirl said:
Quite.
And this highlights the problem with this site and the idiot locals who come on here just to cause trouble (and are allowed to do so).

This is BA expats - supposedly a site for expats living in BA to exchange useful info, give advice for other expats thinking about coming here and occasionally to let off steam about the difficulties of living here.

When the likes of braytrain are allowed to come here and abuse the genuine members this place goes to sh1t. I'm in no way saying it's not good to have locals on the site, as long as they're helpful and supportive and realize that they're likely to have to listen to their culture, pizza, president, women, men and crime-rate being spoken about in a negative light.

Back