Recoleta . Zona Liberada - Entraderas

Happy Camper said:
Yes, Open Door-ish:p. Safer living come's at a cost, it's worth every cent/peso.

I really can't believe there's actually a place called open door.
:D

HGQ2112 said:
trennod,

And I respect your right to "feel" however it makes you feel "comfortable". However, could you tell me, please, how statistically if I get shot in the face by a gang member that is any different than if I get shot in the face by a white-collar suburban crackhead, who is a having a bad day? Still an attempted murder charge. Still a stat. And as far as those "peaky" unreported crimes, what makes you think someone in BA is less likely to report a crime than someone in Chicago? Where is the evidence for that? Do you think every rape gets reported in Chicago? Every assault as guys leave a bar at 4:00 AM? Seriously..I love this argument. Ignore the actual, factual statistics, because there is the imaginary "unreported crime behemoth", which of course only occurs in "my country... city...whatever". Feel away...I am sticking to facts. I'd walk blindfolded through BA, before I walked Chicago armed with an Uzi. Detroit anyone? Miami? East St.Louis? Baltimore? NYC? Please...crime everywhere.

Its not rocket science, most Argentines I know dont report crimes as they dont trust the police. My girlfriend has been robbed 3 times in the past year n a half (luckily nothing happened to me yet) and hasnt reported. Her friends, family, my colleagues, mates...no one bothers because the police have a history of taking advantage. What reasonable citizen wouldnt report a crime in the US? Do you know many people that wouldnt? Most police would be fairly trustworthy I thought, especially in comparison to Argentina.

Most serious crime in the US is gang related.

Compare the strike rate of crimes against Argentine friends / family whatever and then compare it against those in the US. Unless your living in the hood in the states or associate with gangs Id very surprised if in the US its higher.

And FYI, to be honest crime in the US doesnt interest me that much. I am not American and it wouldnt be on my radar. What I care about is crime here, and the feeling that its on the up. I dont need any more info than what I hear from my girlfriends friends and family and my friends and colleagues, first hand experiences.

DavieW said:
When the likes of braytrain are allowed to come here and abuse the genuine members this place goes to sh1t. I'm in no way saying it's not good to have locals on the site, as long as they're helpful and supportive and realize that they're likely to have to listen to their culture, pizza, president, women, men and crime-rate being spoken about in a negative light.

And who exactly are the "genuine members?" The ones that agree with everything you say and follow your strict etiquette for posting? The ones that bitch and moan about peanut butter and Cheeze Its?

I'd say that on an expat forum, you would realize that you're likely to have the culture, pizza, president, women, men, and crime-rate of your home country being spoken about in a negative light.

braytrain said:
When I lived in Orlando I was afraid to look at someone too long (>3 seconds). I was too afraid to admire a girl without having to talk someone down from a fight. If I opened a car door into another dudes door and he saw, I might have a 30% chance of not getting in a fist fight. 3 nights out of the week on average I would say I witnessed a fist fight. At least one of those nights one of them would be stretchered away by an ambulance. At least once every couple of months someone I knew or someone who someone I knew knew would get killed in a club or near one for something stupid. In my neighborhood alone (college neighborhood), 3 white upperclass students got killed over drugs in the 2 years I lived there. I lived 10 minutes away from UCF.

The first party I went to, with a friend who was visiting me, we took the party outside of the apartments and into the streets when too many people showed up. At one point two girls started fist fighting eachother, one of them eventually sitting on top of the other one, hammering her face into the ground. During this time, her boyfriend stood cheering with a bunch of other degenerates, circling and cheering around them. Some dude next to me (we were standing on a 3rd floor balcony when this happened) finishes his beer and through it near the two girls once someone else on the ground level began the beer bottle throwing.

I am not worried about someone who only wants my money. At least I know what they want. In the states people want to hurt you just because they get a kick out of it. Buenos Aires is only dangerous if you´re not careful and don´t wanna give up your money.

Aint nothin violent like the states

I am with GSI16386 on this one, Braytrain. I just moved here from Orlando after living there for 18 years and have never witnessed that much violence. Perhaps you should find some new friends and places to hang out at.

In this regard, I did my patriotic duty. I just published a book in Spanish titled La Portacion Oculta (see MercadoLibre) to promote the idea (there is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come!!) of liberalizing the CCW permits for those who solicit them (and qualify for them, as it is in the good old USA).
Violent crime in the USA has come down by almost 50%!!!since then (and they do not have and INDEC there!!!)

trennod said:
Its not rocket science, most Argentines I know dont report crimes as they dont trust the police. My girlfriend has been robbed 3 times in the past year n a half (luckily nothing happened to me yet) and hasnt reported. Her friends, family, my colleagues, mates...no one bothers because the police have a history of taking advantage. What reasonable citizen wouldnt report a crime in the US? Do you know many people that wouldnt? Most police would be fairly trustworthy I thought, especially in comparison to Argentina.

Most serious crime in the US is gang related.

Compare the strike rate of crimes against Argentine friends / family whatever and then compare it against those in the US. Unless your living in the hood in the states or associate with gangs Id very surprised if in the US its higher.

And FYI, to be honest crime in the US doesnt interest me that much. I am not American and it wouldnt be on my radar. What I care about is crime here, and the feeling that its on the up. I dont need any more info than what I hear from my girlfriends friends and family and my friends and colleagues, first hand experiences.

EXACTLY! You simply can't use any statistics in Argentina because they just aren't accurate.

The main thing is almost NO ONE in Buenos Aires reports any crime to the police. It's exactly as Trennod mentioned. No one even bothers to report it to the police.

Same situation with people I knew in Buenos Aires. Friends, family, co-workers, clients, employees. No one ever reported it to the police. But in the USA when something happens, EVERYONE reports it to the police.

I still laugh when I read posts on this board that try to say that most major cities in the USA are as dangerous as Buenos Aires. People are really deluded if they really try to talk themselves into believing that.

I've been to every major city in the USA and in none of them did I have to be careful using my Iphone in public wherever I went. Not the case in Buenos Aires.

Trennod,

Look...it's not that I don't understand what your saying. It has some truth to it. But if you think the average person in Chicago trusts his local police officer, any more than they do in BA, then you have got to walk at least a block or two away from the Gold Coast. I know entire neighborhoods where folks - and I do not mean the criminal element - can hear the gun shots a block away and they just sit on their front porch smiling. But have them hear a cop siren a mile away and the scatter like scared rabbits. In BA, the cops ignore you when you call them. In Chi-town, if they size you up and you seem "not right" (lot of "not right" blacks and Latinos apparently - yep, I said it), they beat you senseless, read you your rights and book you for resisting arrest. So, who do you think has got more to fear from going to the police? Someone in BA or someone in Chicago?

earlyretirement,

Don't encourage the promotion of hearsay over facts. The statistics are valid. The USA is the most violent nation on the planet. Per capita, there are a myriad of American cities more violent than BA. There is simply no empirical evidence to substantiate the underreporting of crime in BA, or, even worse, to support the fact that it occurs at a per capita level greater than Chicago or other USA cities, where, for example, gang threats intimidate many against ever reporting crime. Gangs roam...this isn't...you know...West Side Story. They actually know how to get on a bus...stolen car...the train system and go a couple of miles away into "Happy safe land" and intimidate possible witnesses there, as well. Ditto for organized crime, which still has a happy foothold in Chicago. Heck, neighboring Cicero had been literally run by organized crime for decades, including the mayor. Still, I don't go around saying, "X% of crimes in Chicago don't get reported". Because I can't prove, what doesn't happen. But I can say, that if I am going to conjecture like some do here, then it is likely that there is more unreported crime in Chicago than BA. However,all we have to go by is the cold, hard, statistically accurate facts, surrounding the crime that does get reported. In that clear light of day, if someone says, "I am leaving BA for Kathmandu, due to crime", I would say..."Smart move". Same person says, "I am leaving BA for Miami, due to crime"...I will just...well smile politely...and....ummmm...wish them well.

braytrain,

Read your post on Orlando. Know what you mean. All I could keep thinking when you described everything you'd witnessed was, "Dang, and that was just in Disneyland." Give Mickey a shot or two of Tequila...he becomes a darned fool. You just aren't going to convince those with blinders on. They've replaced facts an reality, with the illusion of "the world as how they perceive it". Can't argue you with that. Just got to respect that they have a right to view the world however they like. Maybe the next time they visit "sunny and safe" Orlando...or "the friendly confines" of Chicago...they will get a real world experience that will bring them perspective.

Back