Recoleta . Zona Liberada - Entraderas

Rich One

Registered
In the past couple of weeks in a 5 block radius 7 entraderas have been reported in my area of Recoleta :(.

What measures could one take against being surprised at gunpoint when you enter or in the elevator of your building, then followed to your apt. tied up and disposed of your valuables.:mad:
Bodyguards...:confused:

This is why I choose to live in unfashionable Monserrat, despite being offered amazing apartments in Belgrano, Palermo and Recoleta.

I'd seriously be considering buying a gun... :-/

Get an alarm system , that allows you to enter an "emergency" code as you enter the apartment with the bad guys. The alarm company recognizes that you are in trouble and dispatches the police. You only have to hope the police show up fast.

Also consider a "Pentagono" brand reinforced door that cannot be kicked in , even by Bomberos. Do not get a gun unless you intend to use it with deadly force , and are prepared to answer a lot of questions. To your cell mate.

Rich One said:
In the past couple of weeks in a 5 block radius 7 entraderas have been reported in my area of Recoleta :(.

What measures could one take against being surprised at gunpoint when you enter or in the elevator of your building, then followed to your apt. tied up and disposed of your valuables.:mad:
Bodyguards...:confused:

This is a very good suggestion. Also another trick is to write the "emergency" code on a piece of tape and put it right next to the keypad. And keep the real code in your head only. That way if someone follows you in and makes you enter the code, you will remember the emergency code more easily. The guy who installed the alarm in my shop a few years ago recommended to do this. Also if you come in the building late at night, have your cell phone in your hand and pretend you are talking to someone as you come in the building. It's becoming really frightening here.

In the past 3 months there have been some major robberies right in the center / Congreso where I live. First was the hotel Savoy on Callao & Perón, a grupo comando went in with machine guns and robbed the front desk at like 6 in the morning, then about a week later, a similar kind of thing happened but they robbed the subway station at Callao & Corrientes and 2 weeks ago an armed group tried to rob "La Pasiva" a huge restaurant, like 200 tables on Corrientes between Callao & Rodriguez Peña, it was on the news because one of the waiters, a Colombian guy fought of the armed robbers with his fists and he was given an award by the Colombian ambassador to Argentina for bravery. Luckily he wasn´t attending his funeral. Be careful guys and girls.

Davidglen77 said:
T
In the past 3 months there have been some major robberies right in the center / Congreso where I live. First was the hotel Savoy on Callao & Perón, a grupo comando went in with machine guns and robbed the front desk at like 6 in the morning, then about a week later, a similar kind of thing happened but they robbed the subway station at Callao & Corrientes and 2 weeks ago an armed group tried to rob "La Pasiva" a huge restaurant, like 200 tables on Corrientes between Callao & Rodriguez Peña

I still get a kick out of the people that STILL try claiming that Buenos Aires is as safe as any large city in the USA.

When I lived in Orlando I was afraid to look at someone too long (>3 seconds). I was too afraid to admire a girl without having to talk someone down from a fight. If I opened a car door into another dudes door and he saw, I might have a 30% chance of not getting in a fist fight. 3 nights out of the week on average I would say I witnessed a fist fight. At least one of those nights one of them would be stretchered away by an ambulance. At least once every couple of months someone I knew or someone who someone I knew knew would get killed in a club or near one for something stupid. In my neighborhood alone (college neighborhood), 3 white upperclass students got killed over drugs in the 2 years I lived there. I lived 10 minutes away from UCF.

The first party I went to, with a friend who was visiting me, we took the party outside of the apartments and into the streets when too many people showed up. At one point two girls started fist fighting eachother, one of them eventually sitting on top of the other one, hammering her face into the ground. During this time, her boyfriend stood cheering with a bunch of other degenerates, circling and cheering around them. Some dude next to me (we were standing on a 3rd floor balcony when this happened) finishes his beer and through it near the two girls once someone else on the ground level began the beer bottle throwing.

I am not worried about someone who only wants my money. At least I know what they want. In the states people want to hurt you just because they get a kick out of it. Buenos Aires is only dangerous if you´re not careful and don´t wanna give up your money.

Aint nothin violent like the states

Last night they had on the news Three cars had been stolen and one rammed into the front of a Pizza Shop on Corrientes two blocks from the Oblisco. I got here in Feb in the seven months of me being here I have noticed its getting worse as the months go on.

I am starting to feel the need to carry a machette like crocodile dundee

braytrain said:
When I lived in Orlando I was afraid to look at someone too long (>3 seconds). I was too afraid to admire a girl without having to talk someone down from a fight. If I opened a car door into another dudes door and he saw, I might have a 30% chance of not getting in a fist fight. 3 nights out of the week on average I would say I witnessed a fist fight. At least one of those nights one of them would be stretchered away by an ambulance. At least once every couple of months someone I knew or someone who someone I knew knew would get killed in a club or near one for something stupid. In my neighborhood alone (college neighborhood), 3 white upperclass students got killed over drugs in the 2 years I lived there. I lived 10 minutes away from UCF.

The first party I went to, with a friend who was visiting me, we took the party outside of the apartments and into the streets when too many people showed up. At one point two girls started fist fighting eachother, one of them eventually sitting on top of the other one, hammering her face into the ground. During this time, her boyfriend stood cheering with a bunch of other degenerates, circling and cheering around them. Some dude next to me (we were standing on a 3rd floor balcony when this happened) finishes his beer and through it near the two girls once someone else on the ground level began the beer bottle throwing.

I am not worried about someone who only wants my money. At least I know what they want. In the states people want to hurt you just because they get a kick out of it. Buenos Aires is only dangerous if you´re not careful and don´t wanna give up your money.

DUDE...did you live off OBT in the hood?? And are your friends all hoodrats, gangstas, and hookers? Because I'll tell you this much, I have family that lives in Orlando and never have I seen that kind of violence.

If you personally are seeing that level of violence in the States on a weekly basis, you and your friends roll with a rough crowd and constantly putting yourselves in a position to experience such violence.

Canick said:
BUT, BUT, BUT....the papers say crime hasn't increased. surely they wouldn't lie to us..

The reporting of crime hasnt increased is what they really mean..

Most locals i know dont even bother phoning police or reporting crime as the cops dont show up, or show up hours after the incident, and if they do show up i am told they will rob you of what the robbers dont..

As for the increase in apt building robberies, its been getting bad for a few years now, i have heard lots of reports of this.

For those who dont know what happens - someone will pretend to be delivering something (pizza/mail) to an apt and will wait at the front door, but they are really waiting for someone to open the front door, they then force their way in and then let their mates in who wait in the lifts for apt owners to come in and take them to their apt, rob them, then tie the apt owner up in another apt with everyone else that have been robbing..

braytrain said:

Maybe you would change your mind if you talked to a friends maid. She was beaten unconscious because she didnt know where the money was in the house - there wasnt any money in the house, so she was going to get beaten anyways !!
From my experience unless you are involved in drugs, gangs or some other shady area, or are in a situation that can turn violent (a party full of drunk idiots) you will pretty much not have anything happen to you in other countries. But here you are a target just for being here. There is only one other country i have lived where its like here - South Africa.

Back