Recomend A Vet In Ba? (Moving Cat To Uk Help)

minifleck

Registered
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I am trying to move my cat from BA back to the UK. Part fo the process involves getting her microchipped then rabbies vacinated - can anyone recommend a vet in BA that I could go to for this?

Unfortunatly I am flying with American Airlines and she can't fly in the cargo - she will need to fly cargo with another airline.

I have been recomended these two Pet Shippers, both recognised by IPATA (International Pet and Animal Transportation Association) for the international transportation of pets. Has anyone used eaiter of these before? It appears to be working out really expensive - has anyone had any experience with a similar move? Any advice/recommendations would be really great.

Danielle

Las Lunas – LATAM Pet Transport
[email protected]
+ 54 9 11 4426 0499
4723 7300 / 4063

Clinitravel
[email protected]
+ 54 11 4798 6745
Out of office hours
+ 54 9 11 4991 9992

Hi,

since UK has very strict regulations on the transport of pets into the country, you should FIRST check if you are even allowed to bring your cat over there. I heard horror stories of flights with pets from Europe to the UK, and a lot of pet owners decided to take their pets by car to the UK.

You should consider to fly with your in the cabin (no cargo, it's dangerous!). My last research showed that Iberia and Lufthansa both allow to bring a cat in the cabin with you (weight must not exceed 8 kg, cage included).
With Iberia, the price is €150 for your animal, and you can use a soft carrier (such as the Sturdi bag and alikes). With Lufthansa the price should be around the same for the animal, but the passenger's fare is usually much, much higher.

Consider flying to France and then driving to the UK, or Ireland.

As for the vets, I cannot help, sorry.

Hi,

since UK has very strict regulations on the transport of pets into the country, ..............

...............Consider flying to France and then driving to the UK, or Ireland.

Anyone flying to UK has to give prior declaration of special accompanying luggage which is then sent onto UK customs.

Is the suggestion being made that it is easier to bring across the cat in a car without declaration i.e smuggle past customs?

This is UK Customs advice

Live animals – Pet animals (dogs cats and ferrets)
may only be imported if they comply with the
PETS Scheme. If they are not PETS compliant
or fail to travel with an approved carrier, they
will be licensed by Trading Standards (illegal
landings) or by the Animal Health and Veterinary
Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) (for applications
submitted before travel) and are then quarantined
upon arrival. For other pets and for further
information and advice visit Defra’s website
(www.gov.uk/defra), call the PETS helpline
on 0870 241 1710 or email
[email protected]

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262685/Travelling_to_the_UK.pdf

This is my roommate and I's vet for our kittens:

Veterinaria Dr Baamonde S.R.L.
Coronel Apolinario Figueroa 299
1414 Ciudad De Buenos Aires
Argentina

+54 11 4855-3629

Very good vets, clean, nice, not too pricey.

Is the suggestion being made that it is easier to bring across the cat in a car without declaration i.e smuggle past customs?

I don't think how you could associate a cat to duties and custom, but that is how the world it is these days. I think it has to do with health hazard aboard the plane.

1) There is no way you can fly into the the UK with a pet animal in the cabin of the aircraft.
2) It is strongly discouraged to fly a cat by cargo, especially for a 15 hours flight: you can't check if it has access to water (perhaps it spilled), if it needs medication to face the stress, if the compartment is heated (they forget) and pressurized, and above all, it is DARK.

And don't forget that nobody handles your pet the way you do (do you really trust airport people to handle your pet?!)

Fly anywhere else in Europe and then drive/take the ferry to the UK. Sorry, UK folks, you're the worst in the EU when it comes to this.
See this thread.

When we transported our pet internationally Dr. Federico Curra Gagliano did all the paperwork for us. He also frequently came to our house whenever checkups or vacunas were needed. I can't recommend him highly enough!

[email protected]

Hi - thanks for all your responses.

I already have my flight booked with American Airlines and my cat is not able to fly cabin or cargo with them. So the only way to transport her back would be cargo with another airline. As the flight with British Airways is direct and I think about 12 hours - it makes the most sense. Yes - that website is great. To enter the UK so far I'm aware that she needs the following -

1. microchip implantation - a microchip that meets (ISO) standards. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/microchip,
2. her rabbies vacination
3. an export certificate issued by Senasa, Argentinian Health Authority.
4. The right size crate for the aircraft
5. To fly with an approved carrier (British Airways are one of these)

ARbound - do you have an email address for Veterinaria Dr Baamonde S.R.L. - no worries if not I will contact her by phone or pop into her surgery.

Libra - thanks I have just sent him an email so will wait to hear back from him.

I know three people who have used Las Lunas and all three were satisfied and dogs and cats arrived safely. All were returning to the UK and flew on Lufthansa into Frankfurt and then travelled by van to England.
Las Lunas are currently the local agents for our dog's move and their vet is doing all the shots and microchip implantation too. So far we're happy with them.

When we transported our pet internationally Dr. Federico Curra Gagliano did all the paperwork for us. He also frequently came to our house whenever checkups or vacunas were needed. I can't recommend him highly enough!

[email protected]

I second this - Federico is awesome....

I used Las Lunas very recently for a friend and we were very happy with them, everything went smooth. But yes, it is not expensive when you can travel with the animal, but very expensive when it travels separately. Good luck!

Back