Recommend a book

The help is incredible, I loved the part in which Celia saves Minny from the rapist, I think that part should have been in the movie. I am trying to get The perks of being a wallflower, but I will have to wait until March (I want to read it in English).

''Los Arboles mueren de pie'' de Alejandro Casona.

''El cartero de Neruda'' de Antonio Skarmeta.

Saludos

Just finished "El Jardin de Bronze" by Gustavo Malajovich. Fantastic Book, couldn't put it down. Extremely well written, and a great thriller. And it is all about Buenos Aires.

Out of curiosidy, have you read "The Remains of the Day"? his first successful novel? and if so what's your opinion? :eek:
Did you watch the movie before, after, or not yet? (btw its pace is similarly slow.....but perfect(ly depressing) scenography for the theme)

i have read "The remains of the day" and it was good, the main character is very interesting. Havent watched the movie, though.

I repeat the recommendation of people here that named Bolaño: he is AMAZING! Mostly "Los detectives salvajes" an unforgettable read!

Also, Borges is pretty amazing too, but its not for everyone.

Something that it is for everyone and also argentinian and pretty amazing is Manuel Puig: mostly "Boquitas Pintadas" "Cae la noche tropical" and "El beso de la mujer araña", pretty entertaining!

If you dont know spanish or dont want to read anything argentinian or dont find any translation, i recommend:

American literature:

Everything by Raymond Carver (a bit of a down, but great stuff)
"Moon Palace" and "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster
"The catcher in the rye" and "Franny and Zooey" by J.D Sallinger

And a great brittish author: Julian Barnes
"Talking it over" "Love, etc" "The sense of an ending" and "Nothing to be frigthned of". All great.

Crónica de una muerte anunciada by Gabriel García Márquez. Unlike Cien años de soledad, this book is a quick read and an interesting story. An excellent choice if you want to work on your Spanish reading skills as well!

If you dont know spanish or dont want to read anything argentinian or dont find any translation, i recommend:

American literature:

Everything by Raymond Carver (a bit of a down, but great stuff)
"Moon Palace" and "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster
"The catcher in the rye" and "Franny and Zooey" by J.D Sallinger

And a great brittish author: Julian Barnes
"Talking it over" "Love, etc" "The sense of an ending" and "Nothing to be frigthned of". All great.

Big J Barnes fan here too...if you like him try Barry Unsworth - Morality play, Sacred Hunger, After Hannibal etc

For a while I made myself read "classics" in between my modern reads and fell in love with East of Eden.

East of Eden ???... A monumental masterpiece. No doubt a bout it. Highly recommended. It won the Nobel Prize for literature.
It's a bit slow in the beginning, but wait till "The Woman" shows up. Then you can't put the book down.
While reading it I kept thinking where does he (Steinbeck) come up with these people. They're mostly based on real people.
"The Woman" is based on his first wife,... and there's a character in the book named Steinbeck.
Fun fact about the book. One of the brothers in the book comes to BA after WW1. It's just a one line sentence. He is impressed at the size of the city.

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. It's about how the world superpowers screw over the third world countries.

Dream of Heroes by Adolfo Bioy Casares is a gem. It starts & ends at the same place. You want to jump into the pages of the book to alert the anti hero to what is going to happen to him. But you can't.

The Family (of Pascual Duarte) Camilo Jose Cela. He also won the Nobel For literature. The story of a very violent man sentenced to death. And you think you have family problems ???

Dr. Brodies's Report. by Borges. Wonderful book, Should read it again. A collection of short stories. Very violent side of BA...

I read all of the above in English.

I read Julio Cortazar's book El Perseguidor y Otros cuentos in Spanish because i couldn't find the english version.

I've since bought a Kindle.

Back