Recommend a book

RachinBA

Registered
I will start this one off. I read like an absolute demon especially since I got my kindle,and I gotta stop downloading crap so appreciate recommendations. I am halfway through "Wicked Girls" by Alex Marwood. So far I'm gripped and her characters are intriguing. I really hope it fulfills the potential, well I will know in a few hours!

Share share share!!!

Have any of you read El Beso de la Mujer Araña ? For a book in Spanish which encima es Argentino, es muy bueno. And since it's mostly dialogue, it's pretty easy Spanish (the "footnote" story is a bit more difficult, but it's good. I think of that story -lots-).

Also, I really enjoy Fontanarrosa, he's from Rosario and his stories are...interesting. Make sure and have a pencil and paper nearby to jot down all the new vocabulario to consult an Argentine later (you won't find them on wordreference). I learned soooo many lunfardo (Rosarino? I don't think they're especially words from Rosario, but maybe) words from that book. I recommend El Rey de la Milonga, a collection of short stories.

I also enjoyed the Claudia Pineiro book-now-movie Las Viudas de los Jueves. It's really short but interesting, a somewhat intimate look at the life in a Country (gated community), a bit about why people started moving out there in droves in the first place, the expenses people pay, the pressures to keep up with your neighbors---it was fun. I haven't read her new book, has anyone else? I'll probably pick it up eventually.

For books in English, a few of the books I have read recently and enjoyed: Ready Player One, I audiobooked this one and I really, really enjoyed it. Unexpected, a lot of fun, really interesting, fun. I also audiobooked The Paris Wife, the 'memoir' of Ernest Hemingway's first wife and their first years in Paris. Loved that one, it was so interesting, and it reminded me a lot of the expat community here in BA---after WWI artists of all types (namely people who could work from anywhere, which in that day was mostly only artists) moved to France because it was cheap and the US dollar could go further. They created communities and enjoyed a better life than they could have in the US (let's not debate real "quality of life" here, please...). I enjoyed it, and I think it was great as an audiobook, I could imagine the narrator as "Hadley" herself.

I also recently read The Four Agreements. I really enjoyed it, I found it meaningful. It's not a novel... it's a pamphlet more than a book, and it's available in Spanish as written by the author (he's from Mexico, lives in the US), Los Cuatro Acuerdos, which you can find here easily.

I'll leave it there for now, but I have lots of favorite books originally written in Spanish and English, I'll try and post as titles comes to me...:)

To the Borges "Ficciones" recommendation above I would add Arlt's "Seven Madmen" (Los Siete Locos), an classic of the other literary school that flourished in the early 1900's. A more recent book that impressed me was "Santa Evita" by Tomas Eloy Martinez. It is a historical fiction book about Evita's corpse "travels"

I recently read "Cutting for Stone" and loved it. It saved me when LAN delayed our flight for five hours.

Have any of you read El Beso de la Mujer Araña ?

funny you should mention it, i read it last week!

A more recent book that impressed me was "Santa Evita" by Tomas Eloy Martinez.

i agree, it's a fantastic book. you learn a lot about argentina (and, well, evita). what's really great about the author is that, unlike most people, he neither worships nor detests evita. it's a great read.

Back