Recommendation For An Immigration Lawyer

paulafrederick

Registered
I moved to Argentina one year ago and have a tourist visa. I do not clearly fit into any of the categories which would permit me to apply for residency, so am looking for an Argentina lawyer in B.A. who is reputable and might be able to help me obtain residency to avoid the 90-day travel requirement. I would appreciate any recommendations you have on this point.

Well, this forum has the Bajo_Cero attorney. He is an Argentinean. Don't know how effective he is on residency application ?

Also, steveinbsas member is very knowledgeful in the residence visa matters ..
http://baexpats.org/topic/32926-90-day-extension-fee-to-double-will-other-fees-also-go-up/

If you don't fit any of the requirements for residency , you can't get residency. For a fee, a lawyer can help you determine if you fit, which you seem to already know that you don't, so I don't see what luck you're going to have besides studying or marrying, which should be simple enough to figure out without a legal representative. If there is a way you can swing the rentista visa, that might be easier with a lawyer.

I moved to Argentina one year ago and have a tourist visa. I do not clearly fit into any of the categories which would permit me to apply for residency, so am looking for an Argentina lawyer in B.A. who is reputable and might be able to help me obtain residency to avoid the 90-day travel requirement. I would appreciate any recommendations you have on this point.

Hi Paula,

First of all, there is no "90 day travel requirement" and never has been. Your tourist visa is valid for 90 days and may be extended once at the office of migraciones. Going to Uruguay just prior to the expiration of your tourist visa will get you a new 90 day visa, but that visa cannot be extended at migraciones (it was possible in the past but not now).

You are probably already aware of the fact that the maximum amount of time in a one year period that foreigners are permitted by law to stay in Argentina with a tourists visa is 180 days.

You probably also know that the consequences of living in Argentina with an expired tourist visa are not "severe" and making regular "visa runs" actually puts you in jeopardy of not being allowed to reenter (though the long expected "crack down" on pseudo-tourists has yet to happen).

If you do not qualify for temporary residency under the existing categories, an "immigration lawyer" will not be able to help you.

As you have already been here for a year, it might be possible to begin the process of applying for citizenship. Dr Rubilar (aka bajo_cero2 here) specializes in citizenship cases. His fee to represent foreigners without DNIs (as he recently acknowledged) is over $6000 USD.

If you plan on staying in Argentina for many years and can demonstrate (to a federal judge) that you have an "honest" way of making a living as well as the money to pay the legal expenses, citizenship is something to consider.

As you have already been here for a year, it might be possible to begin the process of applying for citizenship. Dr Rubilar (aka bajo_cero2 here) specializes in citizenship cases. His fee to represent foreigners without DNIs (as he recently acknowledged) is over $6000 USD.

Compared to other countries where you can just outright buy citizenship, $6,000 is quite the deal. http://www.bbc.com/n...siness-27674135

Payable in pesos at the official rate of course.

If anyone is interested my English speaking imigration attorney (who just helped me get my permanent residency) charges only 2000 for citizenship cases.

If anyone is interested my English speaking imigration attorney (who just helped me get my permanent residency) charges only 2000 for citizenship cases.

Not to be argumentative but when I called the lawyer that you used for your permanent residency, he said that he charges 2000 for residence cases. I said that I was trying to apply directly for citizenship and he told me that you need to have residency for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship (so he either didn't seem to know about the direct-to-citizenship route or he doesn't work with that process).

He said that for residency he evaluates the possible ways that you could be eligible for residency - I already know I am not eligible unless I marry or study - which seems to be the case with OP. There is another lawyer who does the direct-to-citizenship route in certain instances; OP, you can find him mentioned in this forum several times searching for "citizenship lawyer".

Not to be argumentative but when I called the lawyer that you used for your permanent residency, he said that he charges 2000 for residence cases. I said that I was trying to apply directly for citizenship and he told me that you need to have residency for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship (so he either didn't seem to know about the direct-to-citizenship route or he doesn't work with that process).

He said that for residency he evaluates the possible ways that you could be eligible for residency - I already know I am not eligible unless I marry or study - which seems to be the case with OP. There is another lawyer who does the direct-to-citizenship route in certain instances; OP, you can find him mentioned in this forum several times searching for "citizenship lawyer".

Well said Lucha 54. Their are lot of "want to be" citizenship lawyers in BA after the legend who started it all.

Back