recommendations for traveling western argentina and chile?

bemily

Registered
hey guys, here is my situation:

i'm headed for mendoza on friday and will be around there (also planning to go to valparaiso and viña del mar) for a few days. my travel buddy has to come back, but i have 10 more days to travel and i'm not sure where to go after mendoza.

caveats:
-my budget basically limits me to taking the bus
-already have plans to go to salta
-i will be traveling during la semana santa (from April 16th or 17th and have to be back in BsAs by the 27th) so that might complicate things

other info:
- i have a pretty high tolerance for long bus rides. thinking maybe el calafate, broken up into 2 or 3 bus rides along the way ?
- i will be alone (but i speak spanish reasonably well)

i really appreciate any advice y'all might have. thanks!

If you are travelling through semana santa be aware that millions of others will be travelling too. If getting the right bus to the right destination and the right accommodation are important to you, it might be best to make some choices and book in advance. If a bit of randomness gives you a buzz, just turn up on the day and go for it.

If Semana Santa weekend, the Wednesday to Sunday night, assume you will have 7 to 8 hour delays at the border, especially at either end. Probaly less, but there have been instances of 12 hour delays in the past.

Back