Reduced flight schedules and current entry / exit requirements

No. For leaving the US you need a US valid passport.

As I wrote, to leave the US you do not need a passport at all. There is no passport control departing the US.

As a practical matter, of course, to fly from the US to any intl. destination you do need a passport, but that is because of the receiving country. The airline will want to see your passport before checking you in, but again that is on the basis of the destination country rules, not US ones.

I have flown to Argentina dozens of times (always on one way tickets) and only once did an overly zealous agent ask to see my return ticket (this was at Madrid). I stepped on the side and put on hold a mock up award trip on the AA app. Showed the reservation (not ticketed) to the agent and that was it.

Some airlines (probably some countries) are more careful about this than others. Before I was a permanent resident, I was stopped by the airline more than once.

Sometimes a reservation works, sometimes they will insist on seeing a ticket.

Wait, so I should not bother buying a ticket for June?

If at a good price, little reason not to buy a ticket.
Some flights will certainly leave, and once you have an issued ticket the airline will put you on any flight with room in economy class, whatever the price would have been.

Last edited:
You can renew your passport in the states in under 24 hours.

Hey, can you please let me know a little more where or how I can get my passport renewed in the states in 24hs? That would really solve my problem. I have been living abroad and actually have never renewed in the states. The local embassy here in B.A. told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks in the U.S. and that was expedited. Thanks for any info/help on this.

Hey, can you please let me know a little more where or how I can get my passport renewed in the states in 24hs? That would really solve my problem. I have been living abroad and actually have never renewed in the states. The local embassy here in B.A. told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks in the U.S. and that was expedited. Thanks for any info/help on this.
Most every big US City will have a 24 hour passport service, it might take 3 days but it will be fast,
there are many in NYC, here is a link to one that has good reviews. Chat them up now.
Good Luck

Most every big US City will have a 24 hour passport service, it might take 3 days but it will be fast,
there are many in NYC, here is a link to one that has good reviews. Chat them up now.
Good Luck
I just viewed their website. Good source under normal circumstances. Unfortunately this service is displaying the following notice:
Due to the Covid pandemic, the only services we can offer are the 4-6 week expedited or 10-12 week routine for passport renewals (DS-82 applications). Please call us at 212-643-9305 for more information. All others will be wait listed until we can offer more services.

HHhhmmm, oh yeah, Covid.
I wouldn't give up on the internet searching, things are changing in the US rapidly,
it has a very different feel here than even 2 weeks ago.

June authorizations here at this link. It will be updated daily as information becomes available.
So far we only have info for Aerolineas, Copa, and LATAM flights to SCL.

Aerolineas will be offering 9 flights to MIA a week.

Good Luck

What exactly is the benefit of paying a third-party service to expedite a passport? According to the State Dept, "You will not receive your passport any faster than you would if you applied in person at a Passport Agency."

What exactly is the benefit of paying a third-party service to expedite a passport? According to the State Dept, "You will not receive your passport any faster than you would if you applied in person at a Passport Agency."

It's a form of "hand holding" Renzi. It makes people feel good.

Back