Reflections On Crime.

I glance at but don't read the newspapers so I may have missed the stories but I haven't seen or heard about this rampage of senseless killings. Do you have some research or sources I can go to to see when and where this is happening. I have felt very safe here overall, during the day and at night on the streets.

I'm glad you were not hurt. That is definitely not always the case. Even organized criminals in Argentina are incredibly cruel and do not care a bit about human life. Since the punishment for criminals is so lax, most criminals do not care if they take a life. If they are caught, there is a good chance they'll be back out on the streets anyways. There have been so many stories lately of people that are shot at or killed that did not resist, and not just by drug junkies, either. Crime is a serious, serious problem right now in Argentina. It is really getting out of hand. If something isn't done soon, Argentina is going to turn into South Africa. It's a complicated problem that, of course, is intertwined with all the poverty in Argentina. It's one thing if someone steals your stuff--that can always be replaced. But it's quite another when they kill you when you don't even resist. This is why some people have begun to resist criminals when they are robbed--because they are afraid that they will get killed anyway, so they attempt to resist armed robbers to save their own lives. Some Argentines have begun to think along the lines of--the police and the government and the justice system do not protect me, so I better take things into my own hands. Not a good thing.

The fact that the police were there so quickly makes me suspicious that the police were involved in the theft itself. Everyone here needs to be extra careful with the police and mistrustful. The police are less corrupt than they used to be, but they are still very corrupt. I for one do not trust them. It's unfair for the honest policeman, but that's just the way it is.

I have an apartment in Palermo and returned home late one night last week. I accidentally input the wrong code to my alarm. The alarm didn't go off but evidently the alarm company was notified, they call the police and a car was here within a few minutes. I was impressed.

Either that or the office that was robbed is big, important or has lots of money. Police respond well to that, too.

The fact that the police were there so quickly makes me suspicious that the police were involved in the theft itself. Everyone here needs to be extra careful with the police and mistrustful. The police are less corrupt than they used to be, but they are still very corrupt. I for one do not trust them. It's unfair for the honest policeman, but that's just the way it is.

There's no pleasing some people...

I also live in Caballito and latelly I've been surprise by the almost timely response of police forces. First things first, Police is not there to protect YOU, the individual. It's a dangerous popular misconception.
Next, find out what is the police per citizen ratio, substract the administrative employees/desk jockeys, divide that by two or three shifts and consider the pop density in your area and you'll get close to the attention or concern the police has for your particular safety. Add distance to the equation. A sligh touch of personal troubles, insatisfaction, SSDDness and boredom and you'll have an idea of how well protected you are.

Bottom line, no one but your wits protects you. Awreness is half the solution.

I glance at but don't read the newspapers so I may have missed the stories but I haven't seen or heard about this rampage of senseless killings. Do you have some research or sources I can go to to see when and where this is happening. I have felt very safe here overall, during the day and at night on the streets.

You may feel safe, but you should be very, very careful. People know that you are foreigners, and you are a target. This does not mean you need to live in fear, but you do need to be cautious. The source for these killings and robberies is called Clarin, and other local newspapers. There have been multiple stories about people that were killed after not resisting over the last 3 years. Just a month ago, an Argentine friend of mine was pulling his car out of a garage in broad daylight in Palermo. The thieves started shooting at him without even asking him to get out of the car. My friend drove off like a maniac, and fortunately was not hurt.

Be careful about what jewelry you wear. I know that to you people's reaction here seems completely paranoid and over-the-top. But please remember they are not stupid, and they have lived here their entire lives. If they are paranoid, it's for a reason. Palermo is a safe place to go out at night, but always take precautions.

Never give out personal information to anyone of any kind. People will sell information to others or use it against you. People will go to great lengths here to get extra money or to steal. About a year ago I was going to sell my car, so before selling it, I took off the lo-jack. A few days later, my car was robbed in broad daylight at 1 PM. Coincidence? Maybe. But the most likely scenario is that someone that worked at the lo-jack sells the plate information to a car theft gang, who then tracked down my car, stole it, and sold the parts. This is the way Argentina works, believe it or not. You would not believe the ins and outs of the corruption here. Do I sound paranoid? Well, yes, I am. But that's because I have learned by first hand experience that I should be. I'm not saying you should be paranoid, just be careful. Buenos Aires is not what you would classify as a safe city, but it is safer than a lot of other large metropolis Latin American cities.

There have been so many stories lately of people that are shot at or killed that did not resist, and not just by drug junkies, either. Crime is a serious, serious problem right now in Argentina. It is really getting out of hand. If something isn't done soon, Argentina is going to turn into South Africa.
I have the same fears....

If something isn't done soon, Argentina is going to turn into South Africa.

american-tv-channel-confuses-south-africa-for-south-africa-pic-splashnews-com-910092713.jpg

If something isn't done soon, Argentina is going to turn into South Africa.

At least South Africa has decent beaches.

South Africa murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants 31.8

Argentina murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants 5.8

Source: UNODC (2012)

I have the same fears....

Actually in murder per inhabitants there is the same quantity not much variation year over year, clarin just publish crimes more often, i do think that the stealing and other crimes have rise but murders not. Is the only info that you can have year by year and that is not affected by any indec or K

Just a month ago, an Argentine friend of mine was pulling his car out of a garage in broad daylight in Palermo. The thieves started shooting at him without even asking him to get out of the car. My friend drove off like a maniac, and fortunately was not hurt.

Sounds more like a hit than a robbery.

Back