Reflections On Crime.

Well, I have to say, I was leaving the hospital last night at around 11:00. Mater Dei - right by the MALBA. My SO and I were walking to our car and 2 guys come up on bikes, one in front of my SO and one directly behind him and cut us off. They "asked" him to give them some money and you could tell they weren't leaving any alternative. OH couldn't see if the guy behind him had a gun or not, I looked at the guy and he put his hand in his jacket. I am recovering from the c-section and not exactly going to be of help plus I had a bag with me with laptop/etc (all the stuff I take with me). OH handed them a 100 peso bill which is all he had and they rode off.

Do I think they had a gun? Probably not but it wasn't worth risking. But seriously, 11:00 at night, very nice area - not 3 in the morning or wandering the streets drunk. They clearly had seen us leaving the hospital and followed us in order to cut us off.

Just makes me feel so insecure b/c this shit does happen. This is the 2nd time for me. You just never know.

Well, I have to say, I was leaving the hospital last night at around 11:00. Mater Dei - right by the MALBA. My SO and I were walking to our car and 2 guys come up on bikes, one in front of my SO and one directly behind him and cut us off. They "asked" him to give them some money and you could tell they weren't leaving any alternative. OH couldn't see if the guy behind him had a gun or not, I looked at the guy and he put his hand in his jacket. I am recovering from the c-section and not exactly going to be of help plus I had a bag with me with laptop/etc (all the stuff I take with me). OH handed them a 100 peso bill which is all he had and they rode off.

Do I think they had a gun? Probably not but it wasn't worth risking. But seriously, 11:00 at night, very nice area - not 3 in the morning or wandering the streets drunk. They clearly had seen us leaving the hospital and followed us in order to cut us off.

Just makes me feel so insecure b/c this shit does happen. This is the 2nd time for me. You just never know.
I recently read about a lot of robberies in that area, perhaps a bit more towards Retiro, and the witnesses stated that the robbers fled through the area around the rail tracks to avoid getting caught. The whole area (including the part around MALBA) is close to the villa and I would not be surprised if chorros can easily hide there. It's not politically correct to say but I think the villa that is so close to the richest part of the center is a fertile soil for more inseguridad.

That's bloody awful Citygirl! I hope you weren't too shaken.

Honestly, more frustrated/disgusted than anything else. I am glad we had a 100 to be honest, I feel like had it been less, the situation could have gotten ugly and even if they didn't have a gun or knife, it could have ended badly, esp with two of them.

Just so crappy b/c there we were, leaving the hospital and filed with happiness and laughing b/c our babies were doing well and then this happens and it just stole the joy from the moment.

I recently read about a lot of robberies in that area, perhaps a bit more towards Retiro, and the witnesses stated that the robbers fled through the area around the rail tracks to avoid getting caught. The whole area (including the part around MALBA) is close to the villa and I would not be surprised if chorros can easily hide there. It's not politically correct to say but I think the villa that is so close to the richest part of the center is a fertile soil for more inseguridad.

Yogi get your coordinates the Mater Dei and Malba are like 40`or more blocks away from Retiro :D

My story with the police here; I was returning from a trip to the mountains with a friend who lives in Capital and we decided to stop by his place first to drop off his gear. I helped him unload and then he decided to take a shower since he was going straight to the coast after leaving me at my home. I decided to sit on the outside stairs to wait for him. He had told his neighbors that he would be out of town a bit longer than he actually was and they were not expecting anyone at his house so soon. Some neighbors must have seen me sitting there and called the police. In a few minutes several police cruisers screeched to a halt on the street and guns were drawn on me.
It was an interesting few minutes until everything got cleared up but reassuring to see that the police do respond when called.

That area around MALBA is a bit troublesome really. It's all just too close to the villa. It's a bit down the street obviously, but I've heard at least a few bad stories from people around the UBA law building.

I'm glad to hear that some are getting good responses from the police. Not all the police are bad or corrupt. However, one day on my street a guy came in and tried to rob a kiosco. It didn't go so well for him, as he didn't have a weapon or anything, so the owner and a couple of clients ended up pinning him on the ground. On the corner nearby, a policeman nonchalantly looked away and twiddled his thumbs basically. They started screaming at the policeman. After a couple of minutes of screaming at him, he finally paid attention, and slowly, very, very slowly, walked towards them. The owner of the kiosco, needless to say, was pretty upset about it when the policeman finally did get there and do something. I have seen policemen on the corner of Acoyte and Rivadavia ignore people getting robbed at knife-point, blatantly. Or sit and watch a thief rip off the side mirror on a nice car. I hope things will change.

Came home from dinner one night with the Mrs. and some creepy , scraggy guy was sitting on our apartment door steps. Moving fast , entered the building as the guy was distracted with his ice Cream. Once inside with the door closed , he started yelling and banging on the door. Rode up the elevator and called the police. ( btw we live in Olivos.) Cops were here in under 5 minutes , he was not polite with them and in under two minutes was in the back seat , off to the station.

Still see him around our hood. Nice response from the cops . Bad response from the courts , or whatever. He was out the next day.

Pay the police a decent wage and they will attempt to do their duty. But at what effort , if the courts release them almost right away.

Back