Relish..the thought of.

A&A

Registered
I have looked around, but has anyone found hot dog relish (perhaps known as "relish de los panchos")

Hoping to find "sweet relish" or "india relish", (frankly, not sure of the difference)

thanks.

Relish de los panchos, haha :)
As far as I know, relish doesn't exist here. I don't recollect ever having seen it (but I'm not a big relish eater so I have never gone looking for it, but I do like pickles so imagine I may have noticed availablity of relish). Regardless, it should be relatively easy to make as long as you can get all the ingredients like mustard seed (another one I've never looked for, but bet you can find it at Gato negro or in Barrio Chino). I googled "hot dog relish" and saw thousands of recipes, but it looks like the main ingredient in this kind of relish are green tomatoes. I've never seen green tomatoes here, either, but maybe there are some special verdulerias that sell these tomatoes (like Mercado del Progresso). Or if you are looking for a sweet pickle or cucumber relish that should be easier to pull off.

It looks like india relish is made with pickled cucumbers, but I've seen the right kinds of cucumbers lately, so depending on how intent you are on making your own, here's one recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/india-relish-6983

This is one thing that I end up saying over and over again... if there's something particular that you want to eat here, chances are you'll have to make it yourself. Good luck and enjoy relishing your panchos!

Going to the States for some work thing, so looks like I probably will bring some back, along with the maple syrup and quality Italian Olive Oil. I only wish they made "refrigerated" suitcases so I could bring some Mozzarella di buffala, some piave, some VT cheddar, Reggiano Parmigiano.

Thanks for all the tips. I may try making as well.

For what its worth, i would bring all of those things in your suitcase, refrigerated or not. I would think that they would last outside of the fridge for 24 hrs without problems

Freeze the stuff and put it in an insulated bag and throw it in the luggage. Have done it with a few things (Costco Polish Dogs) and they made it here still frozen. Customs at EZE could have cared less. Heck with electronics anymore, foooooooooood. My luggage is a traveling food mart. Crazy what I crave for when in BA.

we always carry cheese, all types, and they arrive just fine.
Nancy

Is there really no Reggiano and good olive oil? Seems so odd given all of the Italian influence.

Back