Thoughts on Being an Expat in Buenos Aires

earlyretirement

Registered
I read on Twitter of a guy that I thought posted an excellent post

I thought he made some great points and I responded with this below:

Damn I just followed you. You are posting some of the most common sense and logical and helpful information that I've seen. Kudos. You're so true about it being harsh if you don't have family or friends or a girlfriend/boyfriend already. It's not so easy to really penetrate a local's circle of friends. I mean going out sure, but the type of bond where they are inviting you to their weekly asados (BBQ).

I'm VERY fortunate I did ASAP after moving here in the early 2000's. They became my family. My support system and my life. To this day, I'm closer to my Argentine friends that I first connected with than my true family. And guys might think that girls here will cream their panties for your US Passport. Girls here don't give a sh*t. You're just another dumb "American" that couldn't hack it either financially, professionally or with a love life in America so you came to South America. (I'm NOT saying this is reality but just what many locals think of ex-pats, especially American ones).

These girls/guys consider themselves "European" because their grandma and grandpa are from Spain or Italy. They don't think of themselves as South American. And in fact, many have already fled Argentina for Europe. Go to a town like Malaga and it's FULL of Argentines!

These "Passport Bros" that think they are hot sh*t in Colombia, or Venezuela, or Ecuador or Paraguay or some other sh*tty South American country with the poor uneducated girls or even educated girls in those countries that are "wow'd by an American" and they think Buenos Aires will be the same.

NO WAY Passport bros. This is Buenos Aires. Argentina baby! Argentina used to be one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Do you think they give a rats ass about your blue passport? They have a blue passport too!

I'd be curious what other ex-pats thoughts are if they find Buenos Aires easy to make friends and assimilate or no? How they like it and how they view quality of life.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Never heard the term "passport bros", very funny! However don't be too harsh on them: the vast majority of the norteamericanos never even contemplate the idea of moving to another place, so those who land here are either very brave or very desperate. I have met countless people in the United States who find the idea doing it at the same time unthinkable and amazing, and usually have excuses why not doing it. I remember sending a rather lengthy email to a friend of mine telling my touristic experience in Bogota, Colombia, and all he replied was "Colombia is the most dangerous country in the world"! I don't think Bogota is the safest place, but discarding a wonderful country like Colombia just because of hearsay is certainly a pity.
I agree with you that girls in Argentina are not overly impressed by your blue passport, and that is why when talking to people I usually tell them I am Italian as opposed to American, despite me being out of my home county for almost a quarter of a century. Somehow this gets more attention, maybe because in Buenos Aires the vast majority of people have at least an Italian ancestor.
By the way, and very OT, I have browsed the web site of your company and I really liked it. If I am going to buy a property in Argentina I will certainly contact you.

Damn I just followed you. You are posting some of the most common sense and logical and helpful information that I've seen. Kudos. You're so true about it being harsh if you don't have family or friends or a girlfriend/boyfriend already. It's not so easy to really penetrate a local's circle of friends. I mean going out sure, but the type of bond where they are inviting you to their weekly asados (BBQ).

I'm VERY fortunate I did ASAP after moving here in the early 2000's. They became my family. My support system and my life. To this day, I'm closer to my Argentine friends that I first connected with than my true family. And guys might think that girls here will cream their panties for your US Passport. Girls here don't give a sh*t. You're just another dumb "American" that couldn't hack it either financially, professionally or with a love life in America so you came to South America. (I'm NOT saying this is reality but just what many locals think of ex-pats, especially American ones).

These girls/guys consider themselves "European" because their grandma and grandpa are from Spain or Italy. They don't think of themselves as South American. And in fact, many have already fled Argentina for Europe. Go to a town like Malaga and it's FULL of Argentines!

These "Passport Bros" that think they are hot sh*t in Colombia, or Venezuela, or Ecuador or Paraguay or some other sh*tty South American country with the poor uneducated girls or even educated girls in those countries that are "wow'd by an American" and they think Buenos Aires will be the same.

NO WAY Passport bros. This is Buenos Aires. Argentina baby! Argentina used to be one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Do you think they give a rats ass about your blue passport? They have a blue passport too!

I'd be curious what other ex-pats thoughts are if they find Buenos Aires easy to make friends and assimilate or no? How they like it and how they view quality of life.

Thanks.

NO offense intended, ER, but this is Standard Lecture #17. We've all heard it over and over on these forums, and it's been talked/argued over extensively.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have posted it, I'm just saying it is familiar to all the long-time users of this forum Most recently, the posts of user Fiscal detailing his adventures and misadventures re breaking up with an Argentine wife. Those threads provoked comment on the same subject as what you said above, if you'd like to search them. Assuming you have time; I know you're a busy man.

Never heard the term "passport bros", very funny! However don't be too harsh on them: the vast majority of the norteamericanos never even contemplate the idea of moving to another place, so those who land here are either very brave or very desperate. I have met countless people in the United States who find the idea doing it at the same time unthinkable and amazing, and usually have excuses why not doing it. I remember sending a rather lengthy email to a friend of mine telling my touristic experience in Bogota, Colombia, and all he replied was "Colombia is the most dangerous country in the world"! I don't think Bogota is the safest place, but discarding a wonderful country like Colombia just because of hearsay is certainly a pity.
I agree with you that girls in Argentina are not overly impressed by your blue passport, and that is why when talking to people I usually tell them I am Italian as opposed to American, despite me being out of my home county for almost a quarter of a century. Somehow this gets more attention, maybe because in Buenos Aires the vast majority of people have at least an Italian ancestor.
By the way, and very OT, I have browsed the web site of your company and I really liked it. If I am going to buy a property in Argentina I will certainly contact you.
Oh yes just do a search for "Passport Bro" on Tik Tok. There are many. There are definitely some passport bros in Buenos Aires too but most of them leave ASAP. Ha, ha.

Thanks for your great and kind comments about my website. Greatly appreciated and I hope it helped you.

NO offense intended, ER, but this is Standard Lecture #17. We've all heard it over and over on these forums, and it's been talked/argued over extensively.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have posted it, I'm just saying it is familiar to all the long-time users of this forum Most recently, the posts of user Fiscal detailing his adventures and misadventures re breaking up with an Argentine wife. Those threads provoked comment on the same subject as what you said above, if you'd like to search them. Assuming you have time; I know you're a busy man.

Why not instead of being negative, either move on if you have nothing to contribute and ignore the post or contribute something of value. You can never have too much information. That's fine if you don't want to contribute. There are tons of new posters and more coming. So just either contribute or skip the post.

And you know what Redpossum? The NEW members mean as much to this board vs. old regulars. In fact, I'd argue they are even more important to the life of this forum vs. old members that just have the attitude, "shut up and let them search old content". Stuff changes on a DAILY basis in Argentina. Forums are to share valuable information that is fresh and relevant and new. Information evolves and changes.

Saying just "search" the forum is not helpful. JMHO. I've been a Moderator of large, International websites and the #1 reason I see them die and become irrelevant is because of old posters that tell new members to shut up and look up old answers.

If people don't want to comment or post that is fine. So be it but don't tell people not to.

Last edited:
But ... but that's what i'm here for, to tell new comers to shut up and search the old contents LOL
Seriously now, old members of the forum have been called ''old rich white men'' by some of the younger folks just starting out , so i get what Redpossum is saying and at the same time, it is true that to keep a forum alive we need to interact even if the same question got asked a million times before, so comes down to how we balance our interaction and with who.
As far as what the piece says, well..... it is partly true, in my experience but then again it's just my experience and not the absolute overview of how things work out for every single one of us.
I would like to add that the blue passport means a lot to a lot of people but what really counts here and no matter where you come from is the cara grande cinta azul .
So now you know, if you have any questions, go research the old content! i'm busy being an old rich white man.LOL

But ... but that's what i'm here for, to tell new comers to shut up and search the old contents LOL
Seriously now, old members of the forum have been called ''old rich white men'' by some of the younger folks just starting out , so i get what Redpossum is saying and at the same time, it is true that to keep a forum alive we need to interact even if the same question got asked a million times before, so comes down to how we balance our interaction and with who.
As far as what the piece says, well..... it is partly true, in my experience but then again it's just my experience and not the absolute overview of how things work out for every single one of us.
I would like to add that the blue passport means a lot to a lot of people but what really counts here and no matter where you come from is the cara grande cinta azul .
So now you know, if you have any questions, go research the old content! i'm busy being an old rich white man.LOL
Absolutely McKenna!

Let me give you a real life example. I was a Destination Expert for the Buenos Aires TripAdvisor forum for many years. I took time out of my busy day even though I was running many companies to post about Buenos Aires (a city that I'm passionate about and love). I was the Founder, CEO and President of ApartmentsBA one of THE first apartment rental websites for Buenos Aires. I first started in 2002 after the crash. We purchased hundreds of properties in Buenos Aires. We hosted over 100,000 tourists in Buenos Aires over the past 20 years. That's a lot! And I'm damn proud of it!

I was a prolific poster on TripAdvisor. I didn't link to my company URL (just like I didn't here for 13 YEARS until people yesterday said I had an agenda. So now I posted that I own this company and my true identify - I suspect they will complain about other things. Such is life on Internet forums when people can post anonymously).

Anyway, on TripAdvisor Buenos Aires (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g312741-i979-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html ) It was one of the most active Forums (at least what TripAdvisor told me and they thanked me for my participation and they sent me nice gifts each year to thank me for my participation and many contributions). See I wasn't helping people and spending YEARS of my life giving advice for a TripAdvisor branded. backpack! LOL. It was to help people because I LOVE Buenos Aires and I wanted them to love Buenos Aires too. Much like why I help and post here for the past 13 years. Go back and read my posts. It was to give not take.

Well, many of the other Destination Experts kept being crabby like Redpossum did to my post. I finally got tired of it and I left. I resigned my Destination Expert after about 8 YEARS doing it. That was FREE just like my time answering posts on this board. I had no agenda other than to help people.

Today, I don't have time to post so my wife answers posts helping people on TripAdvisor Buenos Aires forum and crabby Destination Experts scold her because they say she is me!! I mean, my wife is helping people and answering posts and DE's are complaining! That's what's wrong with society today!

After I left the forum DIED. Like it was dead. Newbies didn't like old people and especially Destination Experts telling them not to post. COVID for sure didn't help but even today Destination Experts are crabby and tell people to use the Search! I mean the entire purpose of a forum is to share information.

Like I said, if you don't want to contribute that's one thing. Don't. But do NOT tell people not to post. Share if you want and if not, just don't write anything. My golden rule on forums is if you can contribute then do. If you don't want to then don't. 95% of people on the Internet are takers. Only about 5% are givers. People consume content not give. Which is OK. But when people CHOOSE to give then you just let them.

I'm not exactly an "old rich white guy". I started posting on BA Expats when I was 37 years old. LOL. If you "old timers" (which I include myself in now that I turned 50). If you don't want to respond then just be helpful and post a link to the old articles. THAT is how you can be supportive and helpful vs. telling people to just look it up. I DO agree with you that people should look things up first. But give them a small break ok?

I agree I don't care what color your passport is. It's what's in your heart and soul that matters. Unfortunately much of the world isn't the same. There are a lot of GREAT Expats but there are a lot that aren't either.

* PS I've found that people say things online anonymously that they wouldn't say to your face. Such is life on public forums. What I appreciate is when people tell me stuff to my face. Like literally. I did a video call via WhatsApp yesterday with CaribbeanCool yesterday. Great guy. See I misjudged him. I read some of his comments online on BAExpats when I didn't know his personality. But he told me yesterday to STOP talking about real estate so much. I took what he said to heart. I'll only post when people ask advice I can help. But I appreciated that fact that he said that to my face.

And like most people on BA Expats I found that he loved Buenos Aires and he is very intelligent. Excelled in life and his career. THAT is the type of Ex-Pat that Argentina needs to import.

Last edited:

Thanks.
That seems to be a common theme across many platforms I've read and it seems maybe moreso in BA? I mean wrt to joining or penetrating an established social group ARG seems more difficult than other SA countries. To be fair I don't think that's a strictly BA/Argentine thing. How would you recommend someone go about doing so??

Obviously learning the language is one. Not just any spanish but the Rioplatense spanish with their mannerisms and lunfardo would help more. I know when someone sounds or acts like me it's easier to connect. Not something I do consciously but we all do when they're more similar to us. Understanding the culture, politics, and history and many more...

The thing I think I'd struggle with at least initially is overcoming the socio-economic divide. As someone who has USD and plans to continue earning in USD, did you or any other expats here experience difficulties connecting?? Or is this just something that is more in my own mind?? Leading with money is the absolute worse way to establish friends.

I've always believed the best way to assimilate or make friends is add value to other people's lives and once you get about 3-4 friends into that group you're good. However, being an expat I'd also think locals would be leery of how long an expat is staying and how much they'd want to invest in one.

So true FuturoBA. I'll be honest with you. Up until a few months ago I had my profile on BAExpats blocked to even request PM's. Why? I had NO interest in hanging out with them. Other than chris from the board that I first met in my office almost 20 years ago and still kept in contact with via emails (every few months for 20 years!!) and we had a coffee together a few weeks ago at La Biela, I didn't want to meet anyone.

The funny thing is Chris just found out yesterday who I was! LOL. I've known him for 20 YEARS and I never told him "earlyretirement" is me. Even though he knew me for 20 YEARS and reads this board often he had NO idea it was me. That's why I laugh when people try to accuse me of self-promotion! Funny huh?

So I"m fairly well known in business. I've been in the WSJ, New York Times, Economist and dozens of other magazines. I am NOT mentioning that to brag. I'm just saying my background is well known around the world. That's how I wanted it. I didn't try to get business. Or make money. Hell, no one even knew who I was!

To answer your question, how do you fit in? You LEARN Spanish ASAP! I'm not sure if you speak Spanish but learn. NO excuse these days as so many programs free online, listen and learn type apps like Dual Lingo. I took Spanish in high school and some in College but I did because I had to not to learn. When I found out I'd move to Buenos Aires I was doing classes at a school (Lenguas Vivas). I had a professor for 1.5 hours EVERYDAY. Most importantly, I'd make flashcards and memorize 20 words a day. I'd actually make flashcards and go from room to room. So you learn each item in each room first before moving on.

Even if you couldn't speak fluently you could eventually name everything in a kitchen, then living room then bedroom then restaurant, etc. The #1 reason why I never wanted to meet up with Expats is most of them don't take the time to get fluent or even want to learn. They want to hang out with other Expats that don't speak Spanish! That's just disgusting to me.

You find a local friend and be a good "American" not an ugly American. I got lucky and found it ASAP and he is like my brother. We talk everyday via WhatsApp. He got to know me and then he invited me to Asados (they all have them). Then he introduced me to HIS friends. I went on trips and then they became MY brothers.

You hang out with LOCALS NOT American Ex-pats. I'm in Buenos Aires in November, and if you're in town I will invite you to one of these Asados with my Argentine brothers. My friends will become YOUR friends. That's how you do it. That will change your experience. Locals do NOT care how much you make. In fact, you'd be shocked that some probably have a higher net worth than you. LOTS of these Argentines, especially that live in Recoleta or Palermo are from wealthy families. They might make you look like a pauper. I can assure you your money won't matter and you don't talk about it with them. You can be nice and offer to pay for coffee but I can promise you they will offer to get the next one. They won't expect you as the "rich American" to pick up their checks. This was the same with my poor office workers. They are generous. I always try to pick up the check but my friends never let me always get it.

So forget with the notion that how much money you make matters. It doesn't to locals. They will like you for you. Like I mentioned before, it IS difficult to enter into that group. But you know what? Each foreigner (all my clients like 100% of them were foreigners and mostly Americans, Canadians, UK, Australians, Hong Kong, etc) I'd introduce them to my friends, and then my friends became their friends. And even 20 years later they are close.

I will invite you to an asado with my friends. You will never experience anything in life like that. And you WILL fall in love with Argentina like I did 21 years ago.

Last edited:
Also Futuro, I'm not sure if you know this American. He is HILARIOUS! Watch his YouTube Channel.

See I LOVE Ex-Pats like this that embrace Spanish. My Argentine friends say he speaks Castellano better than them!

Just learn these phrases -
And use them around Porteños and they will love you for at least trying! You will endear yourself to them.

I did stuff like this when I moved to Buenos Aires and I made friends fast with locals. My Spanish wasn't perfect like this guy (and still isn't) but Argentines LOVE an Ex-Pat enough that respects their country enough to try. Also, girls thought it was hilarious and loved it. Let's just say in my bachelor years I had a LOT of Argentine girlfriends.

I feel really proud that I can fully conduct business and go into ANY business meeting and communicate 100%. Still not perfect but I love the culture and the language and would love to get fully fluent and speak perfect like this Gringo.

The biggest problem you will have is lots of Porteños speak English. ALL the educated ones do and they love practicing their English. So many times you will speak English even when you don't want to! LOL.

Good luck!

Back