Relocating in the next 6 months...

Hah, no this is not a joke, I am seriously going to be doing this. I just bought some books and every day I read different things online, Im glad I joined though so you guys can educate me! I have been on these forums for the last several hours, and I'm getting some great info. Am I really being that unrealistic guys?? I mean sure I may sound a little naive and I AM, but I don't think this is going to be impossible to accomplish

food prices in BA aren't too much dierent from the first word. With the numbers you've mentioned, you'll probably starve to death.

laineypainey said:
Am I really being that unrealistic guys??

Yes. Your plans are completely unrealistic. Check the dates on those books. They sound very dated to me.

Open a Charles Schwab account & use ATMs. You will not be able to open a bank account.

You will not find anywhere to live on that kind of budget. You need to think that US$300 is the absolute least for monthly accommodation.

I don't know where you read that jobs are easy to come by. They are not.

You adventure will not be as easy and carefree as you seem to have written.

You are in deep shit with this plan. Go to Plan B. .......[Botswana]

Don't bother opening a bank account you won't be earning enough waiting tables and the bank maintenance fees will reduce your limited earning even more. If you buy a laptop you wont have time to use it as you will be working 10 hours a day 6 days a week and staying in such a cheap hostel it will get stolen. Assuming you are a yank the entrance fee and the taxi from the airport will cut into your "couple thousand dollars".

notebook u$s 600
cell phone + call for month u$s 50
month in hotsel u$s 300 +
food beer u$s 400
reciprocal fees u$s 131
taxi from airport u$s 25
a few nice steaks and nights out u$s 100

total u$s 1600

enjoy your 5 weeks in buenos aires
!

Okay, then if this plan is so unrealistic how do people relocate there? If I'm not mistaken aren't there alot of people from other countries who live/work there? They got there somehow they just didn't get invited like its some kind of special club.

Hi Girl,

What you're planning on doing, I am here doing with my significant other. Granted we both came with a few thousand, which means we've got a little more saved up.

Your estimate for housing is definitely a little low. Do you have anyone here you can stay with until you get off the ground? There are some cheaper hostels, but plan on closer to U$S 300. If you're on facebook check out Looking for a Roommate in Argentina. Craigslist is also how we found our apartment, but you'll have to wade through a lot of bad offers.

On the technology front, do you need a laptop? Do you have one you can bring with you? What about the phone you're using now? Can you get it unlocked in the US?

On the job front... Jobs don't pay well, but you will be able to cover your cost of living. I think different people have different living standards, are you prepared to possibly shift yours? Can hold out for a month or two while you sort through craigslist, resumes, and interviews? There are always new offers being posted on craigslist, but you have to sort through them, and wait out the good ones.

In terms of food, $400 a month is a very high estimate. Last month we paid $200 for two. But I am used to spending $200 per month in the US, and perhaps others like to spend more. If you go out a lot, that is another story. I recommend saving the wild partying every night until after you have secured a job.

All told, the safest idea is to have money for a return ticket saved.

It is a good idea to read up here, but also be prepared sort through what is useful and what is not. There is a lot of unnecessary negativity. I hope the initial responses to your post don't talk you out of what is sure to be a wonderful experience.

Best wishes!

laineypainey said:
Okay, then if this plan is so unrealistic how do people relocate there? If I'm not mistaken aren't there alot of people from other countries who live/work there? They got there somehow they just didn't get invited like its some kind of special club.

have a look here: http://baexpats.org/expat-life/4249-gtkfe-what-brought-you-argentina.html

Ben&Bliss said:
In terms of food, $400 a month is a very high estimate. Last month we paid $200 for two. But I am used to spending $200 per month in the US, and perhaps others like to spend more. If you go out a lot, that is another story. I recommend saving the wild partying every night until after you have secured a job.

$200 month for two!! thats AR$ 12 per person per day, that must be the lower end of the living scale...? I said 400 for food AND beer...

and the Poll here: http://baexpats.org/expat-life/5139-how-much-your-expensas.html

35% of people polled pay more than AR$ 800 (u$s 210) a month in building expenses

Maybe this isnt the forum I need to be in. I am not planning on moving to BA and living like a wealthy queen, I am wanting to go there to live and I understand I will have to start moderately, I think my expectations aren't that far off. I realize I probably won't be able to go and land an awesome job right off the bat, I will probably have to take something meek and meager to start with until I adjust to the life of BA and I'm willing to accept that. Hopefully after I am there for a while more opportunities will open up to me; if they don't then of course I'd just return. I was planning on buying a plane-ticket with an open-ended return so I don't have to worry about coming up with extra money later on for that. I dont understand why alot of you are shaming me for my way of thinking, to me it doesn't seem that far-fetched. The only way to accomplish something is by doing it- I can sit here and read books and internet posts all I want but all that equals nothing until I actually do it, right? And maybe a hostel or a cheap hotel isnt exactly the ritz carleton but until I can find a stable place to rent I think something like thaT would be perfect- I'd be able to meet others in similar positions to mine and get advice etc. from other people, whats wrong with that??

Back