Relocation with 2 kids, 10 & 13 - thoughts?

I moved to Bs As in October with my eleven-year-old son, and he just started sixth grade at a private, bilingual school here in Vicente Lopez. (Probably too far for you, but it is Santa Teresita, just so you know http://www.colegiosteresita.com.ar/Campus.php It is a Catholic school, but you don´t have to be Catholic to go there, nor be baptised). We pay 1100 pesos a month, which isn´t too bad at all.

My son goes to school 7:45 am to 4:30 pm, and half the day is Spanish and half is in English. The kids speak English very, very well (I was surprised). He fit in just fine, and the staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. If you´re worried about your kids making friends here (I was), I can happily tell you that they will probably be ok.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. Heard about Lincoln but prices where way, way too much. Another friend recommended Ward but its pretty far away. We leave in the morning so will be there on Weds to figure it out and start looking at schools. We are going to look at a few schools.... I put together this google map of the main schools in Belgrano for anyone in the same situation.

@ BAwithkids - I enabled the pm. I'll be visiting all of the schools and will get info and take pics... can share info with you.

BTW, what should a taxi ride from EZE to Belgrano cost?

I recommend to you once you leave migrations and get into the main hall of Ezeiza, watch at your left sie, look for the Manuel Tienda Leon stand (or ask for it). You pay in advance, argentinian pesos, dollars or credit card). I think it is argentinian pesos $120, but I heard that some tourists were charged ARS$200 for the trip. It includes tolls. If you are happy with the driver, you can drop him a tip, some ARS$5 or US$1 or 2.
I dont know when are you arriving, but check out if the line at Banco Nacion is not too long, you can exchange money and get some small change to move around town.

onehappyguy said:
Thanks to everyone for the tips. Heard about Lincoln but prices where way, way too much. Another friend recommended Ward but its pretty far away. We leave in the morning so will be there on Weds to figure it out and start looking at schools. We are going to look at a few schools.... I put together this google map of the main schools in Belgrano for anyone in the same situation.

@ BAwithkids - I enabled the pm. I'll be visiting all of the schools and will get info and take pics... can share info with you.

BTW, what should a taxi ride from EZE to Belgrano cost?

Take a car service from the airport -- there's a stand outside of the last set of sliding security doors -- they are asking 150 pesos these days.

Re: schools being too far -- are you thinking in terms of you dropping them off, or in terms of making for a long day for the kids? Because many of the private schools do a pick-up/drop-off service throughout Capital to Zona Norte.

There are some very nice schools in Belgrano and Capital, but one of the nice advantages to sending your child to a school in Zona Norte (or Oeste -- there are quite a few in the Quilmes area) is that the schools actually have large playing fields and lots of opportunity for sports and outdoor education. The city is very dense and although there are lots of park spaces in front of Palermo, a lot of the schools are built in areas that just don't allow for playing fields and outdoor space.

Roxana said:
I recommend to you once you leave migrations and get into the main hall of Ezeiza, watch at your left sie, look for the Manuel Tienda Leon stand (or ask for it). You pay in advance, argentinian pesos, dollars or credit card). I think it is argentinian pesos $120, but I heard that some tourists were charged ARS$200 for the trip. It includes tolls. If you are happy with the driver, you can drop him a tip, some ARS$5 or US$1 or 2.
I dont know when are you arriving, but check out if the line at Banco Nacion is not too long, you can exchange money and get some small change to move around town.

Manuel tienda Leon has raised their rates -- even to take the micro now is 50 pesos one way -- I would not be surprised at all if they are charging 200 pesos for the car

There's also the HSBC bank machine and another one -- citi bank or itau, I can't remember which. HSBC is to your left as you head towards the exit doors (near the Farmacity) -- the other one (Citi or whichever) is to your left right as you come out from the secure zone, but as it's the most visible, it often has no $$$

Private schools vs public ones :
private are a much higher level and mostly have a double program (half a day in english (international program) and half a day in Spanish (Argentine program)). Public school only have half a day Spanish. Then they are free.

Lincoln :
has a good reputation, but it is an expatschool with only few Argentines. It is the only school in BA that follows the US school year. If you want a cultural exchange I wouldn't recommend it. It's full of Americans and Europeans that only stay here temporary (a couple of years).

Transport to school :
Most school organise transport from and to school, this is a kind of private service you must pay extra for. This are mini busses with about 10 kids, picked up at your door in the morning and delivered back in the evening.

School location :
there are a couple of real good schools in the center, St Catharine was also recommended to me (but I didn't visit it). But the negative side of these schools is that they have less or no sports facilities. That is why a lot of people send their kids to schools just out of the center. These schools are mostly north of BA.

If you want to emerge your kids in Argentine culture (and language) it might be better to send them to a public school. My kids go to a bilingual private school. Half of the classes are in English and the other half in Spanish. After 1,5 year my son (17) speaks Spanish quite well, but my daughter (15) hardly speaks anything. She understands everything though. The problem is that all the kids want to speak English with them to "practice their English". The fact that my kids 'must learn Spanish' is of no importance.... My son has started his last year here so that is OK, my daughter still has 3 years to go so I am confident she will be fluent Spanish by then.

Hope this information helps...

Hi Onehappyguy. For some reason, PM'ing doesn't work, even though it says it's enabled. Can you try to send me a PM and see if that works. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the schools you visit... Thanks!

Back