Renewal of pensión visa

sternum

Registered
Does anyone know how long time It takes to renew a pensiónvisa. Thanks!

Also how long is it taking to get a pensionista visa these days
Depends on how bloody-minded they want to be. My pension fund has a standard letter about entitlements that was 99.9% perfect as a template for providing all the information Migraciones ask. I printed it, apostilled it, brought it, translated it, and presented it. Migraciones picked up on the 0.1% flaw and asked for a new letter eliminating the flaw. Try getting a pension fund to change a standard letter to tailor it to your needs by changing one word. Then work out how to get that apostilled in your home country when you are in Argentina, international couriered, translated again, and submitted. That one word has so far cost hundreds of dollars and added months to the process.

Last edited:
Depends on how bloody-minded they want to be. My pension fund has a standard letter about entitlements that was 99.9% perfect as a template for providing all the information Migraciones ask. I printed it, apostilled it, brought it, translated it, and presented it. Migraciones picked up on the 0.1% flaw and asked for a new letter eliminating the flaw. Try getting a pension fund to change a standard letter to tailor it to your needs by changing one word. Then work out how to get that apostilled in your home country when you are in Argentina, international couriered, translated again, and submitted. That one word has so far cost hundreds of dollars and added months to the process.
Thanks Alby I feared it would be like that. I have a letter from the social security in Spain, for a Spanish state pension, buy it doesn't state that the pension is permanent, as this is a given. There is no way to get the SS to make such a statement. We'll see how it goes.

Exactly. The one flaw in the standard letter was the word "generally" before the words "payable for life". I was worried it would be a problem, but it was going to take a lot to convince a bureaucracy to remove a word that had been through their legal apartment and approved. So I took a risk and apostilled the standard letter. But, of course, Migraciones noticed the word "generally" and insisted that I have it removed from the letter. It took a lot of expensive phone calls to get a tailored letter that simply removes that word, but I recently prevailed. I am currently attempting to get the new letter apostilled and sent.

Exactly. The one flaw in the standard letter was the word "generally" before the words "payable for life". I was worried it would be a problem, but it was going to take a lot to convince a bureaucracy to remove a word that had been through their legal apartment and approved. So I took a risk and apostilled the standard letter. But, of course, Migraciones noticed the word "generally" and insisted that I have it removed from the letter. It took a lot of expensive phone calls to get a tailored letter that simply removes that word, but I recently prevailed. I am currently attempting to get the new letter apostilled and sent.
Bummer.Have they given you any idea of how long it would take after they accept your application?

It doesn't really work that way. They have "accepted" the application already. From the moment it is first lodged with all the supporting documents, it is accepted, I suppose. But they then go through a process of assessing the documents in detail and verifying the eligibility against their criteria. In the process you have to respond to whatever doubts or questions they raise. That part of the process will take as long as it takes. Once you've satisfied them they will approve it (or not). That too will take as long as it takes. I wouldn't bother asking, and I wouldn't believe any answer I received. The timing varies according random factors, including time of year, pandemics, changes to their systems, sudden workload impositions due to wars elsewhere on the planet, local political controversies, and the attitude on the day of the person working on the file.

Reactions: Moe
It doesn't really work that way. They have "accepted" the application already. From the moment it is first lodged with all the supporting documents, it is accepted, I suppose. But they then go through a process of assessing the documents in detail and verifying the eligibility against their criteria. In the process you have to respond to whatever doubts or questions they raise. That part of the process will take as long as it takes. Once you've satisfied them they will approve it (or not). That too will take as long as it takes. I wouldn't bother asking, and I wouldn't believe any answer I received. The timing varies according random factors, including time of year, pandemics, changes to their systems, sudden workload impositions due to wars elsewhere on the planet, local political controversies, and the attitude on the day of the person working on the file.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. When do you get the precaria? After they accept your initial application? I'll need that to open a bank account. Can you do all the document submissions online, or do you have to go into the office?

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. When do you get the precaria? After they accept your initial application? I'll need that to open a bank account. Can you do all the document submissions online, or do you have to go into the office?
Also at what point of the process can you apply for the DNI

When do you get the precaria? After they accept your initial application?
Yes. When you have a critical mass of the documents they ask for, lodged, then you are more or less at first base, and they issue a precaria. In terms of the mechanics, previously you loaded the documents yourself to the system and then they called you in to present the originals in person and if they were satisfied at that point, would issue the precaria. It may still work that way; others can confirm. (I am not touching any of this part in my current process; a lawyer is handling it for me, which is why I can't be sure how it works in practice now.)

You do not apply for the DNI. They issue it to you automatically once your temporary residency as a pensionista is approved.

Back