What is current aprox rental contract renewal increase?

studiodio

Registered
my rental contract is coming up . i have a good relationship with the owner and i want to be fair. 120 percent increase would be amount if tied to inflation rate...but maybe thats not the normal and expected increase currently?

my rental contract is coming up . i have a good relationship with the owner and i want to be fair. 120 percent increase would be amount if tied to inflation rate...but maybe that's not the normal and expected increase currently?

Do you have a 3 year rental contract ..? with a yearly renewal? You pay in pesos?
120 percent would be more than fair..Expect more than that. In light of the Blue sharp increases.
In my building way over 120 percent increases have been asked.

One has little choice .. move? with the additional costs and the rare possibility to find a better place? in this sellers market? If refused renewal, Stay without a contract ?
Rentals have gone up at least 120 percent for Jan. 2023 to September 2023. . Several indices are used under the new Rental Law. No longer in use ICL index.

Increases and extensions
Rental increases in CABA and Greater Buenos Aires exceeded 143% through September 2023, with year-on-year increases exceeding 200% for apartments and houses, considerably more than the 115% year-on-year increase provided by the ICL in October.

Last edited:
The blue rate was around 317 at the end of November last year. So to be fair, unless there is another dramatic devaluation, triple the rent amount in pesos would seem more likely.

Just for curiosity, how many tenants in this Forum have legal rental contracts registered under Notary Public. Under the following formats.

• 3 year contract in pesos
  • 6 month temporary contracts in pesos/dollars
  • 3 month temporary contract in pesos/dollars
PD : Contracts under the former Rental Law will continue under that legislation. IMHO. Retroactive Laws?

i have had 5 different landlords in BA and 4 different landlords in Sierras de Cordoba over the 12 years i have lived in argentina. none have registered under notary public. i have always had 6 month contracts in pesos. my most successful rentals have been with landlords i knew first as acquaintances or friends....none have been thru realtors ....

Just for curiosity, how many tenants in this Forum have legal rental contracts registered under Notary Public. Under the following formats.

PD : Contracts under the former Rental Law will continue under that legislation. IMHO. Retroactive Laws?
Ha! Ha! No thanks!

I’ve had two apartments in the past 6 years and both were fully registered and paid in pesos per the law. The catch: my employer arranges the leases and pays the rent. Landlords have been fine being above board when they know the lease is guaranteed by an expatriate employer that takes care of the maintenance and will find a new tenant for them down the road. Even for my employer though, it’s been difficult finding housing for new hires that is fully legal/registered now!

Ha! Ha! No thanks!
My "Ha! Ha!" is reserved for those who don't think outside the box and pay too much attention to to laws, regulations, etc. That said maybe I've been lucky over the years in Buenos Aires. It pays to establish good relationships with neighbors, porteros, encargados and pretty much everybody. It is also important to throw a wide net when looking for an apartment. I also have avoided any apartments that have been managed by a real estate agency or anybody who struck me as an "asshole". You're asking for trouble if you don't.

I pay rent in dollars via wire transfer between banks in the USA. I no longer have a lease as the landlady and I tore it up at the beginning of the pandemic. I pay rent on time and I don't cause problems. The rent has not changed since I moved in, and if the landlady wanted to increase it we could talk about it. There's no "formula" as to "how much, how often and when".

As noted I'm sure I've been lucky to some degree but we do make our own luck as well.

Good luck out there!

Back