Renewing my US Passport

Bron

Registered
Hey there,

I've been trying to figure out how to do this using this thread:

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/13130-renewing-your-u-s-passport-embassy-here.html

Maybe I'm being a little dense here, but I'm having a tough time figuring out exactly what to do. Is the general consensus here that the best thing is to pretend your passport was lost or stolen, and proceed like that?

Also, where exactly is the US Embassy located in Buenos Aires?

I apologize for asking the same question that's already been discussed, but I only have until April 27 until my passport expires, so I'm seeking all avenues of help possible.

Thank you!

US Embassy is located in Palermo:

Mailing address:
Av. Colombia 4300
(C1425GMN) Buenos Aires
Argentina

I'd have to check the prices, but I think it is cheaper to renew your passport than to buy a new one that has been 'stolen'. I know we all like to keep our souvenirs...

I went last week to get more pages added to mine. Arrived at 11:00, waited an hour, then came back at 14:30 to pick it up. Cost:$80 Price listed on the US Embassy website: $0

Good luck.

did you have an appointment or did you just show up?

They instituted the charge to add passport pages in the past year, probably just haven't updated the website.

Take your passport, application, photos, fee, etc and go to the embassy. (Libertador/Sarmiento, right by plaza italia).

takes about 2 weeks IIRC.

Bron said:
did you have an appointment or did you just show up?

US Citizens get 'baller status'. I showed up without appointment and passed about 50 Argentines in process trying to get a tourist visa.

haha, nice.

also, i'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what are the exact forms that I need to renew a passport that ISN'T lost or stolen. I'm sure I also need passport photos.

If you can't find them on the embassy website, (which you could if you googled for 3 minutes) they will give you the forms at the embassy. I've seen them taking photos at the embassy so I'm assuming they could do that for you too.

Some of the previous posts are not 100% accurate. I´ve compile all the info you need to know here, but perhaps check back with more recent posts because stuff changes all the time

My own summary of the steps
Go to this website:
http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html
and fill out the DS-82 form online. You print it, sign and date it, staple one photo and put another photo in the file, old passport book, and drop if off at the Embassy on Colombia and pay 110 USD or 140 USD for passport book AND passport card (they accept pesos at the exchange rate that daily). PLEASE NOTE: THEY NO LONGER ACCEPT THE PAYMENT FORM. You must pay cash or with an international credit card at the embassy (or you can have someone pay it for you). You will also need to pay 50 pesos to DHL regardless of whether you want the passport mailed to you or you would like to pick it up at the DHL inside the Embassy grounds. There is also an option to pick it up at another DHL office.

FYI, they return your old passport book so no need to lie and say it was stolen/lost. For stolen/lost passports you must make an appointment, whereas for regular renewals you can just drop off your application at the Embassy.

The Embassy of the U.S. in Buenos Aires has the following info. Please read this thoroughly as it is specific to renewing here in Argentina:
U.S. PASSPORTS
source: https://argentina.cms.getusinfo.com/passports.html

I´m pasting the bits about applying by mail/drop-off here: To apply by mail you MUST answer YES to ALL three requirements.

• Can present your most recent passport,
• Were at least 16 years old when that passport was issued.
• That passport was issued within the last 15 years

You will need to submit the following:
- Application for a U.S. passport by Mail - Form DS-82
- Your most recent passport. Your new passport will be issued with the same name in your most recent passport UNLESS you include with the application an original or certified court order or marriage certificate showing a change in name. These documents will be returned to you with your new passport.
- Two (2) 5cm x 5cm passport photographs
- Payment in cash. The payment of US 110 or US 140 for passport book AND card must be paid in cash.

Drop off your application and make payment in cash at the U.S. Embassy. Tell the guard "soy ciudadana/o y vengo a pagar un trámite." Then you go to the cashier in the Consular Section and drop off forms, old passport and pay the fee. Make sure to specify on your form and in person whether you want the passport book only or the book and card. The hours of the Consular Section are 8.30 to noon and 14.30 to 15.30 hs. Keep in mind that the Embassy is a zoo during visa time so you might want to go in the afternoon when the visa interviews are done.

The process takes from 10 to 15 days. We will contact you once the passport is ready.

If you live outside of Buenos Aires area, you need to contact the nearest DHL office to arrange the mailing of the documents and delivery of your new passport (prepay DHL delivery).

Hope this helps!

Back