Renewing your U.S. passport at the embassy here

tinto

Registered
Hi all,

I was just on the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires website and it looks like I cannot apply in person to renew my passport because I don´t fit in any of the "Apply in Person" categories. I clicked on the link to make an appt anyway but you are required to check a box for your category - again I´m none of the options. https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/make_default.asp

I don´t want to apply by mail because you have to send them your passport!

Has anyone had experience with doing this in person?

Thanks!

FYI, here´s what it says about applying in person:

Apply in Person

You must apply in person if you can answer YES to ANY of these requirements:

• you have never had a US passport,
• your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged,
• you were under age 16 when your most recent passport was issued,
• your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago.

With the exception of emergency passports (only in the event of a lost or stolen passport) all regular passport applications are by appointment only.

To schedule an appointment, please click HERE.

You will need to submit the following:
• Previous US passport. If passport is not available, a certified copy of a US Birth Certificate or original US Naturalization Certificate.
• Two (2) 5cm x 5cm passport photographs.
• Completed passport application. (DS-11)
• Current government issued photo I.D.
• Social Security number (if issued)
• Passport fee in US dollars or Peso equivalent.

tinto said:
Hi all,

I was just on the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires website and it looks like I cannot apply in person to renew my passport because I don´t fit in any of the "Apply in Person" categories. I clicked on the link to make an appt anyway but you are required to check a box for your category - again I´m none of the options. https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/make_default.asp

I don´t want to apply by mail because you have to send them your passport!

Has anyone had experience with doing this in person?

Thanks!

FYI, here´s what it says about applying in person:

Apply in Person

You must apply in person if you can answer YES to ANY of these requirements:

• you have never had a US passport,
• your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged,
• you were under age 16 when your most recent passport was issued,
• your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago.

With the exception of emergency passports (only in the event of a lost or stolen passport) all regular passport applications are by appointment only.

To schedule an appointment, please click HERE.

You will need to submit the following:
• Previous US passport. If passport is not available, a certified copy of a US Birth Certificate or original US Naturalization Certificate.
• Two (2) 5cm x 5cm passport photographs.
• Completed passport application. (DS-11)
• Current government issued photo I.D.
• Social Security number (if issued)
• Passport fee in US dollars or Peso equivalent.

Maybe you could lose your passport for a few days and pick option 2.
Just a thought.

goucho: I understood "Renew by Mail" to mean renew by mail in Argentina (since it´s on the U.S. Embassy in BsAs website). I will try calling them later and post what I find out.

tinto said:
goucho: I understood "Renew by Mail" to mean renew by mail in Argentina (since it´s on the U.S. Embassy in BsAs website). I will try calling them later and post what I find out.

No I think this means if you are within the U.S. you should use the mail. If you are overseas you need to go in person to the embassy.

Can't you use a courier* as mail delivery? I'm sure you're not restricted to use the national mail service. Honestly, I can't imagine the US consulate continues to use this systems if it doesn't work.

*the courier being you dropping the passport off at the window.

You fill in forms. Enclose a check. Go to DHL and send to the embassy in BA. They take the passport to the US via diplomatic pouch and you will have it back in you hands via mail in about 10 to 14 days. It is easy.

I always seemed to "lose" my Drivers License right before I was supposed to renew it, because they like to cut the thing up (or at least disfigure it) when you go to renew and I like them in their original condition as a keepsake.

You guys from the USA are lucky ! We Brits have to send all our paperwork to Wasington and wait 4-6 weeks !

I got my new one in the Glasgow Passport Office in the summer - three hour turnaround

ghost said:
You fill in forms. Enclose a check. Go to DHL and send to the embassy in BA. They take the passport to the US via diplomatic pouch and you will have it back in you hands via mail in about 10 to 14 days. It is easy.

My memory is that it's the other way round. You go to the embassy with the forms, pictures, etc. You pay the fee there including a charge for DHL. Your passport is delivered a couple of weeks later at your home address in Argentina via DHL. You don't use DHL to send your application to the embassy.

Back