Renewing visa law changed?

From reading your earlier posts I presume you are a British Citizen, traveling on a British passport and the first leg of your journey is (usually) from a busy British airport. Anything I'm misunderstanding so far? When you say you've been flagged "in more than one country" do you mean you've been flagged in the UK when you are going to countries other than Argentina or that it happens when you leave from a country other than the UK and only when your final destination is Argentina? Have you ever visited a country that has less than cordial relations with the UK and/or Argentina?

The number of stamps in your passport might provide visual clues for the immigration officer and might prompt certain questions from some of them but it is the electronic record that counts. The electronic record follows all your comings and goings across all your changes of personal details and if that record looks like the log of a tourist coming and going on a tourist stamp I can't see it causing you any actual problems.

So it is when travelling to Argentina as my return flight is booked more then 90 days after entry. I have been told I need proof I leave the country before the 90 days. Yeah I would guess they have it all on the computer so that is why most the time I don’t get hassled.

Well, that certainly puts the "just overstay and pay the fine when you leave" and/or "going to Colonia is pointless" in an entirely different light, doesn't it?

It sound like going to Colonia to get a new 90 day visa isn't such a bad idea after all, especially if you are never in Argentina more than 180 days per year, and even more so after a migraciones official actually told you that if you overstay again that you might not be allowed back

PS: Perhaps the "three strikes and you're out" rule that expats have been worried about for the past ten years is more likely to be enforced in the near future than at any time in the past.

Yeah it is annoying as well as one of the times I overstayed it was by 1 day as I miss calculated my flights. :rolleyes:

The other time I went to extend the tour visa in downtown and she told me it was better for me just to over stay and pay the fine.

As explained by an Immigration Officer,( his interpretation).. A Tourist Visa valid for 90 days is designed for foreigners that want to visit Argentina to do tourism for 90 days , a couple of times a year...?
Clearly a person that spends 5 months a year in Argentina, year after year, Is Not a tourist, is an abuse of the tourist visa purpose..!

I take back what I wrote yesterday.about losing sleep over the warning.

If you lived in your home country just over six months of the year and stayed in Argentina for just under six months of the year (getting a prorroga de permanencia at migraciones as prescribed by the rules), you really shouldn't have much (if anything) to worry about, even if that added up to a lot of stamps.

Two or three overstays (regardless of the duration or the excuse/reason), combined with twelve years of entry and exit stamps (an unknown number of them being visa runs to Colonia just in time to avoid an overstay) should really give you something to worry about, even if you traveled to other countries for months at a time during those twelve years.

As Dr, Rubliar indicated, abusing the entry stamp is illegal and it looks like that's what's being done by the overstays and visa runs.

If I understand correctly, the 180 day presence rule is an entirely separate issue.

The abuse arises when one doesn't abide by the terms of some formal permission that Argentina or any country gave him. Such as staying there longer than you were permitted to.

There are no rules. The immigration police has wife freedom about how to enforce it.

Last edited:
Back