Rent in BA

Shane

Registered
My rental agreement will be up in 3 months. Anyone understand the current rental laws? My main questions are:
1. How easy is it to evict? I have kids if that helps.
2. What's the max they can increase the current rent on a lease renewal?
3. Can they increase the deposit?
4. Is there a max percentage on annual rent increase?
I understand the current law which may change is a 3 year lease with a rent increase being annual instead of semi annual? Thanks in advance.

Rent is increase at a rate set by the government. Mine a couple months ago was nearly 50%, enjoy.

1. How easy is it to evict? I have kids if that helps.

In that case very difficult from what I've read empirically, even for failure to pay.

2. What's the max they can increase the current rent on a lease renewal?

Like all things in Argentina this answer depends on a few things. In theory/law the 3 year agreement
is technically supposed to be in force still, which limits how much it can be increased, but as we've
read the government had admitted this law was a failure and is looking to retool it, plus many people,
myself included, rent en negro, I know my contract isn't registered with AFIP for example. You can find
further details here
, but the long and short is at least 50%+

3. Can they increase the deposit?

I don't believe so/it has never happened to me, but I would Google to confirm.

4. Is there a max percentage on annual rent increase?

Yes, for non-short term rentals with the 3 year rental law it seems to be ~50%+, the article I
linked goes in to further detail. Whether it is enforced is another thing. Since many contracts aren't registered
with AFIP this is the leverage most renters have over their landlords in case of non-compliance with maximums,
but I hope your situation doesn't have to resort to this. If a contract is registered with AFIP and/or a reputable
brokerage/realtor, they generally adhere to the law from my experience, but yours may vary of course.

When rent increases the Deposit is increased accordingly to represent 1 month rental. This has been my experience over the last 10 years with several landlords in CABA

Thank you for your assistance and taking the time to confirm this. It is very unclear to me with how these new laws work and how they may change again.

Back