Rental Increases In Usd

Just an update to anger, amuse or disgust everyone (as your want may be), the owner still insisted on an increase for year 2 and so i have politely told her "chau" and will continue my search :)

Thanks everyone for your comments, and Happy Friday!
And the best to you. Do not be discouraged.

On the rental price, I really do not understand the comments of most people. Yes, you can rent for much less and for much more but everything comes to what you get for it, your budget and your living standards. USD 1K for a nice apartment in Recoleta seems right to me, the same way that a PH in Palermo for a large family will cost you more than that and sharing a two bedroom with ten expats will cost you less.

I haven't rented in a while but totally unfurnished/no amenity PHs are renting for that much? 900 USD a month (or 5-7000 pesos a month depending on which exchange rate you're using) ? I'm totally out of touch with the market and awfully glad I'm not renting. That much + expenses + the cost of furnishing a place - no way!

ETA - Good luck to the OP on finding the right apt!

Just an update to anger, amuse or disgust everyone (as your want may be), the owner still insisted on an increase for year 2 and so i have politely told her "chau" and will continue my search :)

Thanks everyone for your comments, and Happy Friday!

I'm sure you'll find something soon! Its good to look around a bit. Good luck!

PS

I do feel [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]angered, amused and disgusted all at once but then again that could just be last nights Fernet working its way through my body.[/background]

On paying one year in advance, it is a common practice in many countries. I have to pay a year in advance in Dubai and it was a hell more than USD 900 per month. In other countries you do not pay a year in advance but it is extremely difficult to rent for an expat without the support of your company (specially if you illegally overstaying) or you have to pay some sort of housing insurance policy.

I would NOT trust an Argentine landlord with USD 12k prior to receiving the service. In other countries, maybe but here, no way.

Just as a reference, I rented an apartment in the MIrabilia Tower at the corner of Soler and Juan B Justo on the 35th floor unfirnished for two years. It was a two bedroom and I was paying $1,250 in addition to the ABL or rentista (i think is what it was called). In lieu of a guarantia, I just put down a six month deposit and that sufficed. The second year there was never any increase. At the end of my term, I got most of my money back, but apparently i was responsible for wear and tear on the apartment (aka marks on the wall from furniture, dirty carpet, etc.) so they dinged me for like $500.

There was also a 1 bedroom condo that I rented for over a year, fully furnished for $900 in Barrio Norte. The rate never changed and I had to put down a one month deposit there.

Both places were extremely nice.

Hope this helps somehow.

Every single thing that Julia2 has said in her posts about the costs of living in Europe and Berlin is identical to what I’d have said about France and Europe had I posted before her. My husband and I are dual Canadian and UK citizens. We moved to France from Canada nearly 10 months ago. We were all set to retire and move to BA just before that. We had booked the movers when one particular Argentine financial control forced us to not move to BA. We couldn’t have lived there on a fixed income.

In our secondary French city, our expenses for rent, food, utilities, media and transport are 5% less than Canada and 15% more than BA. That’s with living the ordinary lifestyle of locals here. That became clear after 3 months here and it has not changed since Sept/12. If we lived in Paris, it would cost us 20-22% more than BA.

Just because somebody finds tapas, say, cheap on a back street of Seville or Barcelona or because a BA paper finds a liter of milk cheaper one week in Berlin than in BA at one particular grocery store doesn’t make Europe cheaper than BA. It’s a myth that Europe is cheaper. People we know in the UK and France who’ve been to BA recently for their first time remarked on how cheap BA was at the official rate.

Anyway, there’s no sense in saying that somewhere else would cost you less to live than where you if you don’t have a right to reside in the purportedly cheaper city or country.

Katiem, all best wishes in your finding a place whose owner isn’t exploitive.

Keep in mind that contracts written in Dollars are not enforcable and are not legal. You were very exposed on that deal. Plus any moron that expects rent in dollars and......a 20% bump is an idiot and a user [and very Argentine]. But...considering that you know they have an unreported account hidden in the US you would have some leverage if things turned mean.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]$900 actually gets you a lot in Berlin (1st world)[/background]
In Sevilla, Spain, US$ 775 will get you a 3 bedroom furnished apartment facing the trees of a plaza, 2.2 km from Plaza Mayor.

Keep in mind that contracts written in Dollars are not enforcable and are not legal. You were very exposed on that deal. Plus any moron that expects rent in dollars and......a 20% bump is an idiot and a user [and very Argentine]. But...considering that you know they have an unreported account hidden in the US you would have some leverage if things turned mean.

I wonder how do you know for a fact that the account is unreported and hidden?

Back