Rental Increases In Usd

The rents are much higher now in Berlin, everybody is complaining about the rising rents here. And: We have been talking about an apartment in Recoleta for 900 Dollars and the question if one could live for that money in Berlin or Barcelona. Of course you will find cheaper places in both cities as you can find cheaper places in BA! But for 900 Dollars you will find much more luxury in BA than in Europe. In Berlin that is now the average Price of a normal 2 BR apartment in the hot areas; in Barcelona it is even a cheap one somewhere. If you pay 900 or 1000 Dollars for an empty apartment in BA, you will be able to find a relay nice maybe with pool and Gym. Forget that in Europe, it is hard to find such places and they are very expensive.
In general it does not make sense to compare; I would not have mentioned that, but I can´t hear that complaining about BA and glorifying other places. Everybody who thinks that BA is 3[sup]rd[/sup] world and that living in Europe or somewhere else is much better, should go. I have been moving from BA to Europe one year ago, I see a lot of things now different. But that is not the topic of this thread, so let´s stop here.

Recoleta in comparison to most european cities' expensive suburbs is not very eye catching though, especially when you start factoring in safety/security. Plus the quality of the newer buildings here is generally poor. Oh and dont even start factoring in local wages!!

Thanks for your comments!

Can I again just mention, that I am paying one year in USD upfront, and Im not so concerned with the price in pesos versus dollars. I will be paying $900 a month for a great Ph in Recoleta (comparing this to a similar house in Sydney, my home city, I really dont think its a bad deal).

BUT my main question with this post was to find out if an increase in rent each year of about 20% is fair and reasonable when when paying in dollars.

It is my understanding from doing this out here in the hinterlands of Mendoza Province that it is Argentine law that the rent, from the legal side of the owner, can be raised 15% in the second year. I have had a rental contract here written to that and I, of course, asked about it.

Of course, being a negotiable contact, any terms are alterable upon mutual agreement.

I would say this after being here from the U.S. five years next week. DO NOT compare the price levels where you are NOW in you mind without taking the blue rate of exchange and the natural differences in the two economies into account or you are doing yourself a great disservice. My playing this correctly you get a 30-40-50-?% (future) RISE in the 'purchasing power' of your capital.....

For what it's worth....

TC

In Sevilla, Spain, US$ 775 will get you a 3 bedroom furnished apartment facing the trees of a plaza, 2.2 km from Plaza Mayor.

Love your humor.... jjajajajaj an apartment in Seville 2 km. from downtown..... jajajjaja is that 1st. world :rolleyes:

Hi Katie,

I think the price you are going to pay is fair. 1000 USD for a good apartment is not so high in Buenos Aires, I don't know in the rest of the world.
What I suggest you is to not accept the increasement for the second year. Since the contract is in USD, I don't see the reason to increase.
The dollar goes together with the inflation, so I suggest you tell them that.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Beatriz

Back