rental market in other cities

FAS

Registered
I realize that this is a BsAs specific forum, but I was wondering about experiences in the rental markets of other Argentine cities. I'm currently stuck in the classic Buenos Aires short-term-rental-no-garantia vortex. I booked a very small studio in Recoleta from one of the tourist rental agencies for a price worthy of New York or San Francisco penthouse. Painfully expensive and, quite frankly, not really worth it (though the apt is ... fine-ish?). I have Argie friends with beautiful two bedroom flats that cost them a third of what this studio costs me. But with no garantia I am permanently excluded from that market. No one seems to know how to get out of this dilemma.

So: Do other cities operate their rental markets in the same way? If not BsAs, then where? I'm currently reading a biography of John Muir and find myself pining for nature. Love the city, but something closer to hiking and biking terrain would be great. What are rents like in places like Cordoba and Mendoza and Bariloche? Are the trade-offs worth it?

Thanks in advance for the help. Best, Frank

Furnished short term rentals in Bariloche are more expensive than Buenos Aires. I have a 2 bedroom in Palermo www.stayba.com that I rent for u$s 430 week, but my 1 bedroom in Bariloche www.staybariloche.com I rent for u$s 540 - 720 week depending on season.... there is not much competition here in Bariloche, but my BA apartment has better occupancy rates.

Something a lot smaller out of town with views from u$s 200 week: http://www.barilochestudio.com/

also a studio but 500 Sq feet and from u$s 450 week: http://www.barilochehouse.com/

try looking harder. we pay $1200 per month for a 3BR.

i'm an economist by training, so i couldnt let myself pay these ridiculous prices.
therefore, I concluded that expat owners would have more realistic expectations and offer better payment methods. reason being is that rent is secondary income for expat owners versus primary income for locals.

Ryoga said:
reason being is that rent is secondary income for expat owners versus primary income for locals.

Does that make me a local? My primary income is rent from property in Argentina...

We live in Cordoba Capital and are paying 1200 pesos per month for a 2 bedroom apt downtown..... and we went thru a rental agency to find it, but we go once a month to the old lady's house to pay the rent.

What kind of appartment? square meters, how old is the building, where is the building, how many rooms does it have?

Ryoga - How did you find your place? Is it one of the tourist rentals or a local market unfurnished? Thanks. Frank

PS - Excellent occupation you have listed: thinker. "Non-thinker" would probably be the best way to describe my last employer.

FAS said:
Ryoga - How did you find your place? Is it one of the tourist rentals or a local market unfurnished? Thanks. Frank

craigslist

Back