Rental Scams??

ERINM said:
Is anyone familiar with any common rental scams?

I am currently looking for a temporary apartment, but I am abroad in the US. Many of the apartment owners state that they require a deposit and or other fees paid to reserve the apartment. I am a little leery and uncomfortable sending money to a complete stranger with no guarantee of anything. Is there any way around this? My thought is that I would much rather rent from an actual owner rather than dealing with an agency...but perhaps agencies are more reliable? Any info is always appreciated. Thanks!

I would pass on all of the suggestions given to you.

There is a flood of apartments on the market for rent at the moment in the areas where you will be living. I would not arrange picking an apartment in advance. Come here, stay in an apart hotel, for one or two weeks and look at all apartments in person. Sometimes the descriptions given are not really what you can expect to find. Also, you can cut a much better deal in person with cash in hand than you ever will on the internet. I would stay away from the tourist rental companies because you will pay much more rent than you really need to.

Check out Craigslist to get an idea of what people are asking for rent. Just know that in person you will get the apartment that you want and not the one that you *think* that you are getting. And, obviously, you will have the chance to check out the location in person which in Buenos Aires is very important.

ERINM said:
Is anyone familiar with any common rental scams?

I am currently looking for a temporary apartment, but I am abroad in the US. Many of the apartment owners state that they require a deposit and or other fees paid to reserve the apartment. I am a little leery and uncomfortable sending money to a complete stranger with no guarantee of anything. Is there any way around this? My thought is that I would much rather rent from an actual owner rather than dealing with an agency...but perhaps agencies are more reliable? Any info is always appreciated. Thanks!

I would pass on all of the suggestions.

Nothing beats being here in person with cash in hand to get the best apartment at the best price. Check out Craigslist to see what owners are asking for these days. There is a flood of apartments on the market. You can deal in person in a way that you can never do over the internet. Also, in person you will see the real location of the apartment. Check into an apart hotel for a week or two while you look around. There is alot to choose from.

Recoleta Carolina said:
I would pass on all of the suggestions.

Nothing beats being here in person with cash in hand to get the best apartment at the best price. Check out Craigslist to see what owners are asking for these days. There is a flood of apartments on the market. You can deal in person in a way that you can never do over the internet. Also, in person you will see the real location of the apartment. Check into an apart hotel for a week or two while you look around. There is alot to choose from.

I'm afraid this is the best advice so far, IMHO. Although agencies like Reynolds (who I have had several experiences with before my buddy and I bought a house in Vicente Lopez), and although they are very good (perhaps the best in terms of customer service - a concept that barely exists here) they still can't protect you from many of the common pitfalls of renting a pig in a poke, e.g an apartment that looks great but is too noisy to sleep in, or in my personal experience an owner who refused to give back a deposit in case "something came up". The Reynolds agent argued on my side for quite a while, including showing the old hag the contract she had signed (she claimed she hadn't signed it, and then when she admitted that was, in fact, her signature, she claimed she hadn't read it first and therefor it was invalid!) I finally told him to blow it off, since I had a plane to catch, this madwoman was practically foaming at the mouth by then, and it was, fortunately, only $200.
Just recently, a friend of mine rented an apartment on-line that advertised it had a washing machine. I did as it turns out, but the ad failed to mention that the machine was missing the door!
You need to check phone service, cable, internet, hot water, and basically everything, because once you've paid your money the odds of getting anything fixed are substantially reduced!

You also will have a much better idea of what part of the city you want to live in after a week or two. Recoleta or Puerto Madero might sound good on paper (or on screen) but you could easily find you like the lifestyle better in some part of Palermo, Belgrano, or even out here in the Zona Norte where the level of big-city white noise is vastly lower.

There are scores of hotels all over town, and the house I live in (actually mansion is a better decription) used to belong to the Russian ambassador, and is pretty nice! We have rooms to rent here for 35-75 U$D/night, and you don't have to put up a nickle until you see the place! PM if you are interested and I'll send you some photos of the house and some rooms.

Although there are some WYSIWYG apartments on-line, I would say the number of people I know who were unhappy with their sight-unseen apartment runs close to 50%, and the pitfalls are many and real, so consider Carolina's advice and make your life a little easier!

Suerte!

David

We used Bairesapartments.com and had no problems. The apartment looked just like the picture and video on their website. I spoke with one of their agents on the phone many times over the course of 2-3 weeks as we picked the apartment. He was very helpful in helping us pick a neighborhood and getting the owner to approve having a pet in the apartment. Responded quickly to all emails and telephone calls. The standard procedure was to reserve the apartment via PayPal and pay cash USD on arrival. They were very nice on our arrival.

Oh by the way we were only staying 3 months, so willing to risk getting a place site un-seen on the internet. If we had been staying longer, I too would have looked for a place on arrival.

By the way I have seen Dave's gorgeous house and the guest rooms are very, very nice. It would be a great place to stay while looking for an apartment!

I rented through http://www.stayinbuenosaires.com/blog/
and they were very honest and helpful. Of the two apartments I stayed at though them I got my deposit back in full. I have been doing a lot of short term rentals and the worse place for getting my deposit back is the USA - by far...

Having said that, as many people have already mentioned do not do a long term rental over the internet. I posted an ad on Craigslist and got a ton of responses and the apartments I saw were great - quiet, sunny, well equipped, negotiable. The crappy stuff is saved for people reserving over the internet...

betts said:
Oh by the way we were only staying 3 months, so willing to risk getting a place site un-seen on the internet. If we had been staying longer, I too would have looked for a place on arrival.

By the way I have seen Dave's gorgeous house and the guest rooms are very, very nice. It would be a great place to stay while looking for an apartment!

Believe that you are not going to be happy in a department you dont like. It makes a lot of sense to rent one week and then rent the same place at a lower price

Looking for a good rental agency. There used to be a list of agencies on one of the forums but I can't seem to find it. Has anyone had experience with Idearental? They do not respond online or answer the phone. Maybe they are no longer in business.
I used Buenos Aires Travel Rent in 2013 and it was on the up and up.

Back