Rentista Residency via a Trust

Californian_Oh

Registered
I'm looking for input on using a self-paying, "irrevocable" trust to acquire a Rentista temporary residency. I plan on trying to do so in a month or two and so far have only found SteveinBsAs' good post here relating to it.

My aim is to acquire temporary residency for 2 years and then acquire permanent residency (which, as I understand, requires a 3rd year of temporary residency to cover that application period).

Questions:

1. For the first two years, I plan on using separate 1-year trusts. What about applying for permanent residency (after the 2 years of temporary)? Am I correct that obtaining the permanent residency is virtually guaranteed after 2 years temp residency, but I will need a 3rd year of temporary residency (and thus a 3rd 1-year trust) to maintain legal status while the paperwork for my permanent residency is being approved?

2. For the first year, since non-residents aren't generally able to open Argentine bank accounts, my irrevocable trust should be set up to merely move money from one US account to another? And then I have to withdraw the money every month and deposit it in my new Argentine bank account + show the deposit records at the renewal? (And for the second and third years, I can set up new trusts to automatically deposit into my new Argentine bank account?)

3. How far in advance does one apply to renew their temporary visa? This answers how far in advance I should create new 1-year trusts (assuming I can do sequential 1-year trusts).

4. Just to double-check, I must have the following documents (originals + 2x copies):

• original trust agreement + DETAILED cover letter from bank, both apostilled and translated/legalized
  • FBI record apostilled and translated/legalized
  • passport (with immigration status in good standing)
  • certificado de domicilio
  • 2x passport photos
5. Do you have any additional advice or information?

Thanks for the help! Once I'm through the process, I'll make sure to post a detailed walkthrough in case it helps anyone else.

No one has any input? Disappointing. I thought this was a common way to obtain a Rentista residency.

Didn't see your post, otherwise I would have responded earlier. I have been through the the whole process, and the number one thing I can say is: hire a lawyer. I actually obtained obtained my first temporary visa on my own. It's not an experience I would want to repeat. I didn't use a trust as a source of income, and I would definitely want a lawyer's input on that.

After the first year I hired a great lawyer, Lorena, from ArgentinaResidency.com, who was terrific. The rules and requirements change constantly, and it's hard for someone not in that business to keep up with. Having said that, I think the process has gotten easier (I obtained my permanent status 2 years ago). Not cheap, but well worth it for me.

Keep in mind that nothing is "guaranteed", either. So you can plan to obtain your permanent status in 3 years, but as they say, it's not over 'til it's over!

Another option is going the direct citizenship route, which has plusses and minuses. I own 3 companies in Argentina, so it wouldn't have been feasible for me to be without a DNI for a couple of years. For others, it might be viable. I am almost a year into the process of (hopefully) obtaining citizenship.

You can PM me if you have more questions.

I thought it was sure that I was moving back to the states in a few months, but now that is not so certain. I've looked in to the "trust" option as it appears it is the only option for me, outside of the citizenship route. I've yet to pull the trigger on either option given my work future is uncertain. Along with Californian_Oh, any info on the trust option would be most welcome.

Back