Rentista Residency.

PhilipDT

Registered
Yes I searched but I couldn't exactly find all the answers I was looking for. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there and the official sites are fairly useless (not at all surprising).

Here are my questions:

* I've read that you need to do the consular interview in your own country? If thats true can I get the paperwork started here?

* Once I have the temporary residency, do I have to actually be in residence in argentina the entire time in order to renew it?

* Am I liable for Arg income tax on the 'rentista' money? If so, where can I read more on Arg tax law.

* Is this (http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_temporaria) as much info as I'm going to find online from el gobierno?

Thanks in advance

PhilipDT said:
* I've read that you need to do the consular interview in your own country? If thats true can I get the paperwork started here?

If you can get the necessary paperwork sent here you can do it all here.

PhilipDT said:
* Once I have the temporary residency, do I have to actually be in residence in argentina the entire time in order to renew it?

No.

PhilipDT said:
* Am I liable for Arg income tax on the 'rentista' money? If so, where can I read more on Arg tax law.

http://www.pkf.com/site/webdav/site...ax Guides in PDF/Argentina Tax Guide 2009.pdf

If you actually live here more than six months of the year (regardless of your immigration status) Argentina can consider you a tax resident and require you to pay taxes on your worldwide assets and income. Nonetheless, few "temporary" residents (even those living here year round) have been paying taxes in Argentina (except the IVA). As far as I know, except for those who actually work and/or own property here, AFIP hasn't shown much interest in collecting taxes from temporary residents.

In the past, most individuals with temporary resident visas haven't had a problem for nonpayment of Argentine taxes. For example, I never heard of anyone with a student visa having to paying taxes. I do believe, however, that individuals with the visa rentista need to be aware of their potential tax liabilities now more than ever. With the increased income requirement for the rentista visa I think it's possible that AFIP will want their cut. The previous income requirement for the visa did not reach taxable levels if that was your total (worldwide) income. There is also the wealth tax (bienes personales) which even nonresidents must pay on any property they own here. There is a 2% per month penalty for nonpayment of the tax.

The most important thing for those with the visa rentista to know is how your passive foreign income of $8000 pesos per month (per person) could be taxed in Argentina. The assets that generate it could be taxed as well. Taxes paid on this income in another country may be deductible in Argentina. It's imperative to have an Argentine accountant prepare your Argentine tax returns.

PhilipDT said:
* Is this (http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_temporaria) as much info as I'm going to find online from el gobierno?

Migraciones has a web page in English:

http://www.argentina.gov.ar/argentina/portal/paginas.dhtml?pagina=1245

steveinbsas said:

Thanks for all the help!

As is fairly typical, the site is busted.

A couple more questions:

REQUISITOS RENTISTA

DOCUMENTACION A PRESENTAR:

a) IDENTIDAD: Cédula de Identidad, Pasaporte o Certificado de Nacionalidad con foto, originales. Estos documentos deberán encontrarse vigentes, en buen estado de conservación y con un juego de fotocopias completo inclusive hojas en blanco.

It says passport. So that should do right? I don't actually need a birth certificate do I? And I'm not sure I understand 'inclusive hojas en blanco', they want me to bring blank paper with me??

d) DECLARACION JURADA: De carencia de antecedentes penales en otros países, (será confeccionada en migraciones al momento de la solicitud de residencia).

Can I get this at the US embassy?
CERTIFICADO DE DOMICILIO O UNA FACTURA DE ALGUN SERVICIO PUBLICO A SU NOMBRE

This is for my home country right? I'm not exactly sure what a certificate of domicilio is?
• Toda documentación expedida en idioma extranjero deberá contar con la traducción al castellano efectuada por Traductor Público Nacional (Art. 6º Ley 20.305) y legalizada por el Colegio de Traductores.

How do I go about getting one of these translations? And is it enough that the original document is apostilled, does the translation have to be notarized too?

Once again. Many thanks

PhilipDT said:
As is fairly typical, the site is busted.

I just click on the link in your post and got the site.

PhilipDT said:
A couple more questions:

OK

PhilipDT said:
It says passport. So that should do right? I don't actually need a birth certificate do I? And I'm not sure I understand 'inclusive hojas en blanco', they want me to bring blank paper with me??

Yes, it says passport and indicates you need to include copies of all pages, including the blank ones. Yes, you need a state issued "certified" copy of your birth certificate (issued after 2000). It needs the seal of the Apostille (also available from the Secretary of State) and then translated and legalized in Argentina by an official translator (easy and inexpensive).

PhilipDT said:
Can I get this at the US embassy?

If you mean the FBI report, no. You must get it from the FBI.

PhilipDT said:
This is for my home country right? I'm not exactly sure what a certificate of domicilio is?

The certificado de domicilio (address certificate) in Argentina is available from the comiseria (police station ).

PhilipDT said:
How do I go about getting one of these translations? And is it enough that the original document is apostilled, does the translation have to be notarized too?

The translations must be done here if you are applying for the visa here. The translator will get it legalized for you.

http://www.traductores.org.ar/nuevo_org/home/home_en/index.php

PhilipDT said:
Once again. Many thanks

You're welcome.

steveinbsas said:
I just click on the link in your post and got the site.
yeah its just the english site is down.

If you mean the FBI report, no. You must get it from the FBI.
The reason I asked is that I saw that the FBI had an 'overseas office' in the embassy here.

The certificado de domicilio (address certificate) in Argentina is available from the comiseria (police station ).

So that is where I'm staying at the moment?

Also one more question. I've been on the perma tourist program for almost a year. Do I lie about this or come clean when asked?

PhilipDT said:
yeah its just the english site is down.

I am using Opera web browser and got it both times.

PhilipDT said:
The reason I asked is that I saw that the FBI had an 'overseas office' in the embassy here.

The FBI report is only issued from the US. The link to the website has been posted ion other threads and you can probably find it even faster using google.

PhilipDT said:
So that is where I'm staying at the moment?

Yes, that's the address you will use for the ceritifcado de domicilio.

PhilipDT said:
Also one more question. I've been on the perma tourist program for almost a year. Do I lie about this or come clean when asked?

Your passport will have the exit and entry stamps. You don't have to say anything and it won't be an issue.

You didn't ask about it, but be sure you are able to "prove" that you will receive $8000 pesos per month from "stable" (passive) foreign income for the next two years. Don't worry if the amounts stated are in dollars. Any documents signed by the person (bank officer/CPA) who is "certifying" this information should also be notarized and also receive the seal of the Apostille.

Seriously? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the website. It didn't work in chrome and I just tried opera. When I click the US Flag for english I get a pop up telling me that the site is under construction.

steveinbsas said:
You didn't ask about it, but be sure you are able to "prove" that you will receive $8000 pesos per month from "stable" (passive) foreign income for the next two years. .

Are there any links that could help me with this? Or do you have any suggestions. For me this would be a matter of me setting something up specifically for this purpose. I was thinking I could set up a trust to deposit 2000 USD into one of my checking accounts.

Thanks.

PhilipDT said:

You don´t need to lie about this, in fact you shouldn´t.

The new decreto takes in consideration the situation of the irregulars and tries to force them to regularize.

There are new requisites:

[FONT=&quot]b) Rentista: Quien ingrese en esta subcategoría deberá acreditar ante la DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES el origen de los fondos y su ingreso al país, por intermedio de instituciones bancarias o financieras autorizadas por el BANCO CENTRAL DE LA REPUBLICA ARGENTINA.
Asimismo, deberá probar que el monto de las rentas que perciba resulta suficiente para atender a su manutención y la de su grupo familiar primario. A los fines de otorgar la residencia se deberán tomar en cuenta las disposiciones de la Ley Nº 25.246, sobre Encubrimiento y Lavado de Activos de origen delictivo.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]Regards

Back