Rentista Visa

They grant you 12 months temporary Migrations residency. If you leave on day 182 (and don't return) you won't lose your temporary migrations residency on day 183. You will lose it on day 365.

The idea of taking out rentista temporary residency, using it for 182 days, leaving for 183 days, returning, lodging a new application for rentista residency and repeating that endlessly just to avoid tax, is the very definition of hell.

If you are happy with just 182 days per year in Argentina, just come as a tourist each year, first for 90 days, then another 90 day renewal. You can do that year after year and be nowhere near becoming a tax resident.

Last edited:
Hi again,
It wasn't a specified number of days, that's on me for not clarifying.
I meant that one could stay over the minimum requirement for be eligible for residency renewal, but under the 1y period so that they wouldn't count as a tax resident.

Clearly something's going over my head and sorry for asking such simple questions, but believe me, I searched before writing here.

Hi again,
It wasn't a specified number of days, that's on me for not clarifying.
I meant that one could stay over the minimum requirement for be eligible for residency renewal, but under the 1y period so that they wouldn't count as a tax resident.

Clearly something's going over my head and sorry for asking such simple questions, but believe me, I searched before writing here.
The tax law defines tax residency for foreigners as being triggered by having been a temporary migration resident for 12 months. As you don't lose your migration residency on day 184, instead on day 365, there is no way out.

If you stay say 270 days, you will be eligible to renew your temporary migration residency. You will complete your first 12 months as a temporary resident, and thus become a tax resident. The tax residency is triggered by migration status, not the number of day spent in the country to hold the migration status.

To put it another way: while Migraciones counts your days in the country to determine whether you were here long enough to renew your (Migraciones) residency, the tax authority does not count the number of days you were here during those first twelve months to determine your tax residency. To determine your tax residency it only looks at whether you had or have a temporary (i.e., 12 month) Migraciones residency (not whether you had or have Migraciones residency but spent less than 183 days).

They may count days in the country (more or less than 183 days) in other circumstances, to make other determinations, later on. But there doesn't appear to be anything in the legislation that enables you to stay long enough in the country in your first year of temporary Migrationces residency to renew it, but not long enough to be deemed a tax resident when you renew it. Article 119B takes care of that potential loophole.

But get a professional opinion from a tax accountant. He or she might see it differently (for example, might read 119B differently). If so, you can let us all know.

Last edited:
Before you apply for a rentista visa you have to have an address in Argentina.
What would qualify as an address? Would a copy of the rental agreement be OK?
Many houses I try to rent ask for a DNI which you can only get after you apply for the visa.
What is the easiest way to rent a place?
About bank accounts. Can I open an account at Banco de la Nacion after I get the visa? Can I also invest in a fixed term investment (say 30 days) and withdraw the interest each month.
What does USM mean (Radex website)?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
@pianodudeuk it's been a couple of weeks. :) Did you get your answers? These are all very good questions and I'm really interested in getting some of the answers!

Before you apply for a rentista visa you have to have an address in Argentina.
What would qualify as an address? Would a copy of the rental agreement be OK?
You will need a certificado de domicilio to provide to migraciones. They don't want to see your lease or rental contract.

Many houses I try to rent ask for a DNI which you can only get after you apply for the visa.
What is the easiest way to rent a place?
You need a DNI to rent long term (mulitiples of years) but only a passport to rent for up to three months at a time.
About bank accounts. Can I open an account at Banco de la Nacion after I get the visa?
Earlier this year SecretShopper posted that he was able to open an account at Banco Nacion with the precairia and did so because other banks wanted the DNI and he did not want to wait.

Can I also invest in a fixed term investment (say 30 days) and withdraw the interest each month.
Ask the bank when you open the acount, but be advised that this interest income will not be accepted as a source of stable foreign income to qualify for the visa rentista.
What does USM mean (Radex website)?
I could not find USM in a Google search including the words Radex, migraciones, and Argentina. Please copy and paste from the page in which you saw these leters.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, my wife and I are retired Canadians and have been in BA for 2 months. We would like to stay for at least 2 year and possibly longer. We are currently renting an Airbnb for a period of 3 months in what has turned out to be a good neighborhood. Now I would like to rent an unfurnished apartment for a period of 2 to 3 years. In my online searches I've found Mercado Libre to be quite good, but the problem I'm having is I cannot contact many of the owners without ML requesting a DNI. I realize a DNI is the holy grail, but my understanding is you are only issued a DNI after you obtain residency of a sort. So, I'm I stuck renting for 3 month periods at a time until I get residency/citizenship. My understanding is citizenship quickest route for retirees.

My understanding is citizenship quickest route for retirees.
Unfortunately, citizenship isn't a "quick route" to getting a DNI.

The process entails hiring a lawyer who specializes in getting citizenship for foreigners who don't have a DNI.

The up front cost is about $6,000 USD and it will take over two years to get the DNI.

Temporary residency through migraciones is the quickest route to get a DNI...

...and you won't have to pay a lawyer a single centavo. 🤠

Last edited:
Back